HD4870 1gb Crossfire VS Geforce GTX 580?

spacemanjupiter

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I have a crossfire system with some 'old' 4870 1gb (2 of them). I've been pretty happy with them but I've never liked having 2 video cards in my case (added noise and heat).

I'm looking for a single card solution but not familiar enough yet with the power of the new cards out there. The reason I'm considering Nvidia is because of Cuda support for GPU rendering in 3DS Max. As far as I know I cannot use ATI cards for GPU rendering, and that is important to me. I used my laptop gpu (geforce 240m) and had amazing results in GPU rendering even though it isn't even close to a top performance GPU. I also want to make this purchase worth the exchange with gaming performance. I want noticeable gains in performance. So I am considering a 580. I realize I won't be able to do SLI on this ATi board (890fxa-gd65). That is another reason why I want a very strong single card solution. Later this year I will build an intel system and move this card over.

Is it worth going from 2 HD4870s to a single GTX 580?

Phenom II x6 1100t
8gb RAM
Rosewill 750w
MSI 890fxa-gd65

spacemanjupiter

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I'm seriously going to consider that Asus card. So I assume 750w PSU will be enough for this card, and since I have been running two 4870s just fine. Am I going to get noticeable gains in performance with this card over my 4870s?