HTPC/Media Streamer

Daniel_Smith

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Hi Guys,

Looking for opinions on a build I've been researching. I want this computer to play back any 1080p/i video, whether from an external Blu-Ray drive, files from an external drive/Ethernet, or streaming flash video in that size. I'd also (if this is an issue) like it be able to handle multiple tabs in Chrome playing/loading flash video (for those times you need to queue up 10 youtube videos). I have considered an Atom510/Ion2 nettop but have heard this can be slow - I'd like normal (Chrome browsing/XBMC) operation to be very responsive!

From what I've gathered it looks like this should do it, but I thought it best to ask people who know more than I do:

Motherboard: ASRock 880GM-LE
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5450 DDR3 HDMI 512MB
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 265 3.3GHz Socket AM3
RAM: Corsair Value Select DDR3 PC10666/1333MHz CL9 2GB (x2)

Thanks for any help or alternative suggestions!

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
First off, since you'll be using a GPU, that 880G motherboard is too much. Since you won't be using the IGP from the first place. Anything that supports DDR3 RAM and PCI-e 2.0 GPU is good enough.

The CPU is fine, but AFAIK, even with a 2,8GHz Athlon, your activities should be enough. Of course, higher is always better. But if you don't actually need it, why bother? :p

The RAM is also a good choice, I assume it's a dual channel RAM which is fine.

As for the GPU, in case you'll consider my suggestions above, which will save you some money, you can relocate the budget for a better GPU. I recommend the HD5570. It's on Tom's list for the best budget GPU. Higher spec GPU means lower risk of losing performance. You can also stick to the 5450 if you want to. The 6450 is just launched, so the price is still quite high for it's value. The older HD5xxx series should serve your needs just fine with lower prices :lol:

Good luck! :D

Daniel_Smith

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I think I chose that motherboard because I read something about it having the ability to do a crossfire type thing of combining a radeon card with the onboard graphics. But it's a good idea and I'll look at some cheaper motherboards. Thanks!