Sign in with
Your question

New computer built around the 560 ti, i5. (REVISED)

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 19, 2011 8:31:43 AM

I've recently revised my question; it better explains the question, budget, etc....

Approximate Purchase Date: 7-10 days from now

Budget Range: $800-$1100 before tax / rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, (WoW, Borderlands, Mass Effect 1,2,3, Bad Company 2, etc...), School

Parts Not Required: Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor, Speakers, Case Storm Scout

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Country of Origin: California, United States... 2 hours from the nearest microcenter :( 

Parts Preferences: MSI N560GTX

Overclocking: Maybe. Probably not.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, but probably not.

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050, hoping to move to 1920x1080 in coming months.

Additional Comments:

The only thing I'm really set on here is MSI's 560 ti. I like the cooling performance and noise level of the card. This computer's going to be in a dorm room for the next few years, it'd be nice if it was somewhat quiet.

I've been for the last few months I've been putting together builds I like on newegg, for when I finally get some cash that's comming to me. Welll, it's nearly here- I'll have my money at the latest, by the end of next week. I'm ready to do this thing.

Here's a sample build, one that I put together that I liiked...
MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC Video Card
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) ATX Intel Motherboard
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm sleeve CPU Cooler
ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
Nippon Labs ICR-BB All-in-one USB +eSATA Card Reader
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W High Performance Power Supply
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit English 1-Pack

About $1040.00 after combo / before rebates

So, I created this build to be ready for overclocking and SLI. However, if I'm honest with myself, I doubt that I'll have the cash to put into another graphics card any time soon.

The only part I'm really dead set on is the 560 ti. That'll be the lowest common denominator in my build. So, if I were instead going to make a build without the option for SLI, and less OC'ing capability, I could stand to save a decent amount of cash, right?

And for that matter, I could probably bump the processor down to say, a 2400 or 2300.

All in all, I'm guessing I could probably reduce the cost of this build by $100, $150 easy if I decide not to do SLI. What are your thoughts? Thanks for your input.

More about : computer built 560 revised

April 19, 2011 8:52:53 AM

traviskane said:
It seems like, from everything I've read that my system would be, if anything, bottlenecked by the graphics card.

Pretty much. An i5-2400 + cheaper mobo + stock cooler will save a lot of money compared to an i5-2500k OC build. And that saved money is put to better use on a better GPU when your primary task is gaming. It's easy to get caught up in numbers and theoretical performance and not know what to buy. I doubt anyone can tell the difference between a i5-2400 and i5-2500k system from just using it. Don't bother with an aftermarket cooler if you are not OC'ing.

560 ti + i5 will definitely run BF3 when it comes out later this year. As to what settings is anyone's guess but I'd wager running at near max at 1680x1050 or lower.

If you need a build just post your budget and people will give ya some.
Related resources
April 19, 2011 6:05:21 PM

A budget would been all I really need to give you a build and I agree, the 560 Ti is to my mind the best GFX option at this point in time.

PSU Options - The following are 10.0 performance rated as per jonnyguru

XFX Black Edition 850 ($130)
Antec SG-850 ($250)
Corsair HX850 ($155)
Corsair AX850 ($163)

I'd go with the XFX , here's jonnyguru's take:

Quote:
the XFX 850W Black Edition came looking to make a splash, and ended up doing a cannonball big enough to just about drown the competition. Voltage regulation is nothing short of fantastic, efficiency is excellent, and ripple and noise is just about nonexistent.

You could get away with the 750 and save $20 but it's a bit tight and I'd rather have the headroom

Quote:
This [750] unit combines utterly amazing voltage regulation with outstanding efficiency and just about the best ripple and noise suppression I have ever seen. And it does it all silently, too, because I sure couldn't hear that fan at any time. Even in the hot box. I almost wish I could hand out better than a perfect score, but I can't so I won't.

MoBo / CPU Options:

Three category choices here:

1. Asus WS Revolution ($260) - This MoBo can SLI those 560's at x16 x16 w/ it's NF200 chip. To get a handle on what that means and why it's worth it, read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p67-gaming-3-way-sl...

To compare it with the competition (Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7 - $330) read this, taking special note of the power and temperature comparisons:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The WS is a hands down winner here; at just $20 over the P8P67 Deluxe, seems a no brainer to get x16 x16

2. Asus P9P67 Pro ($189, $169 after $20 combo discount)- SLI here is at x8 x8 with all the features most would use. Gigabyte and MSI offer some good competition here but the Asus is the better overclocker and newegg combo w/ the 2500k or 2600k essentially cuts the MoBo price by $20, making it the better choice to my mind.

3. Asus P8P67-M ($130) or GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3 ($123) - Provides one x16 slot, USB3 and SATA III and all ya need for a basic system.

RAM Options:

Any low profile RAM from a decent, reliable vendor. The less expensive CAS 9 DDR3-1600 would be my choice w/ a budget of $1200 or less. With twin GPU's (system in the $1500 - $2000 range), I'd go for DDR3-1600 CAS 7. Low profile helps avoid interference issues w/ aftermarket CPU heatsinks.

CAS 7 Mushkin Redline 996961 ($145)
CAS 7 CorsairCMX8GX3M2A1600C9 ($84)

GFX Options:

You're set on the 560 but which one....I'd suggest one of the 900 MHz versions w/the twin fans / better coolers. I went with the Asus Cu II TOP and OC's it to 1000 MHz (no voltage increase req'd) but the Gigabyte model is the cheapest at the moment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

HD Options:

Can't argue against the WDB;ack, Seagate 7200.12 or SPinpoint F3. There's no all around winner, each excels above the others in some areas. Pick what runs your apps best from here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-har...[2777]=on&prod[3016]=on&prod[2365]=on

SSD Options:

Vertex 3 stands alone at the top.
April 19, 2011 9:04:33 PM

Thanks to those that have replied so far. I've further clarified my question and provided a build that I like.

As far as motherboard is concerned, I'm deffinetly looking at the midrange / low range boards... something sub $200 anyway to make my budget.

Anywhere I can make cuts to save money and maintain performance would be great. Of course, reliability and stability are preferable here, as is noise.

Quote:
Can't argue against the WDB;ack, Seagate 7200.12 or SPinpoint F3. There's no all around winner, each excels above the others in some areas. Pick what runs your apps best from here:

I like the spinpoint f3. I've heard a lot of good things about it, and a lot of recomendations.

I'm starting to consider the possibility of a SSD. If i can cut enough out of the budget to make room for a SSD, excellent! Still, the only SSD's that will be in my budget range are going to be the 64gb SSDs. Boot time isn't that huge of an issue for me, but a SSD would be fantastic for say, World of Warcraft where load times from HDD become an issue when "zoning in" and logging in. But will a 64 GB be sufficient for this? The install is what... 20GB for WoW alone? add windows to that, and I've got a SSD that's nearly full, with room for one or two more games.
April 19, 2011 9:52:11 PM

Californians don't pay taxes on products shipped from amazon. Not sure what the going rate is atm in California as far as the sales tax goes, but the cheaper the better imo.

This build allows you to over clock, and to add another one of those factory over clocked gtx 560's in SLI later on if you so choose. This build also includes Windows 7, an after market cpu h/s (thermal paste included), etc...

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Enthusiast-Certified-comp... $110.13 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair Enthusiast Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms 750TX v2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $159.99
ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Processor-i5-2500K-LGA1155-... $224.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Intel Core i5 Processor i5-2500K 3.3GHz 6MB LGA1155 CPU BOX80623I52500K

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Sleeve-RR-B10... $26.79 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler, RR-B10-212P-G1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $49.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Spinpoint-3-5-Inch-Intern... $59.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Samsung Desktop Class Spinpoint F3 1 TB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 32 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare-OEM Drives, HD103SJ

http://www.amazon.com/Lite--LightScribe-Layer-Drive-IHA... $24.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black)

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-PCI-Express-N560GTX-TWIN-FROZ... $249.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
MSI GeForce GTX560 1 GB DDR5 2DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express Video Card N560GTX TI TWIN FROZR II OC

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Home-Premium-64bit-Full/d... $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) OEM DVD 1 Pack

Total: $921.87 *not including shipping, tax, rebates, etc...

http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/1000116#axzz1... <---Review on that Asrock motherboard after the latest bios update

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1098/pg2/asrock-e... <---Review on that Asrock motherboard after the latest bios update

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4080/welcome-to-sandy-bri... <--- Review before the latest bios...and it still smoked the Asus and Gigabyte boards

http://www.asrock.com/news/events/201102ex/warranty.htm... <---- Asrock two year warranty

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P67%20Extre... <----- ASRock P67 Extreme4 Motherboard

April 19, 2011 10:02:33 PM

Quote:
This build allows you to over clock, and to add another one of those factory over clocked gtx 560's in SLI later on if you so choose. This build also includes Windows 7, an after market cpu h/s (thermal paste included), etc...

Wow. Excellent value there! I like it a lot!

That could very well be the exact build I end up going with. Dunno about "lite-on" as a brand, but optical drives are cheap, and that's nitpicking. Everything else looks superb. With this, I could still conceivably add on a SSD, and maintain the possibility of adding a second GPU.
April 19, 2011 10:09:10 PM

traviskane said:
Quote:

Wow. Excellent value there! I like it a lot!

That could very well be the exact build I end up going with. Dunno about "lite-on" as a brand, but optical drives are cheap, and that's nitpicking. Everything else looks superb. With this, I could still conceivably add on a SSD, and maintain the possibility of adding a second GPU.

The taxes is the main thing. Your going to save a ton of money ordering most of that build through Amazon vs newegg. Of course the board and memory are newegg, but everything else is "tax free".

RE: DVD drives....Light on, LG, Asus, Samsung, Pioneer... etc... they are all about the same imo.

Ok, here's a little present that comes with that Asrock mobo. Click the last link in that build I posted...the one that says ..

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P67%20Extre... <---- that link. If you scroll down about half way down that page you are going to see a cool black face plate with 2 x 3.0 USB ports and a nifty little 2.5" SSD rack. That fits right on your Cooler Master case, and matches perfectly...black on black. You now have two 3.0 USB ports and a SSD holder for free. It's a little add on that Asrock decided to throw in with that mobo. :) 
April 19, 2011 10:18:17 PM

Nice! I'm going with that motherboard for SURE.

Only question now is, to go with SSD, or not to go with SSD... Hrmm...

I'll probably be putting in an order for parts mid to late next week. I've got some stocks I need to sell, and I need to get the cash first, but as soon as that arrives I'm ordering.

I'll post pictures when it's all done! I'm going to try and get some pictures of my current PC tonight too, just so you guys can see what I'm upgrading from. It's been a loooooong time, and this PC upgrade... well, I've been waiting to be in the right spot financially to do this for over a year now.

Ah, the life of a poor college student!

Until then, feel free to contribute, I'm going to keep an eye on the parts I want for any possible combo opportunities, savings, etc...
April 19, 2011 10:21:56 PM

traviskane said:
Nice! I'm going with that motherboard for SURE.

Only question now is, to go with SSD, or not to go with SSD... Hrmm...

I'll probably be putting in an order for parts mid to late next week. I've got some stocks I need to sell, and I need to get the cash first, but as soon as that arrives I'm ordering.

I'll post pictures when it's all done! I'm going to try and get some pictures of my current PC tonight too, just so you guys can see what I'm upgrading from. It's been a loooooong time, and this PC upgrade... well, I've been waiting to be in the right spot financially to do this for over a year now.

Ah, the life of a poor college student!

Until then, feel free to contribute, I'm going to keep an eye on the parts I want for any possible combo opportunities, savings, etc...

Some peeps on here shove those SSD's down peoples throats like they are the best thing since sliced bread. Personally I can wait an extra few seconds for my Windows to boot up. But to others on here....they act like they are going to die without one. It all depends on your budget/needs I think.
April 19, 2011 10:41:27 PM

For me it's going to be about the gaming experience. I usually keep my computer in standby mode anyway so windows load time doesn't matter that much to me. with that being said, I guess faster load times for 1 game and paying 130 dollars sound a little extreme. maybe I will wait and see if prices come down.
April 20, 2011 3:28:55 AM

yeah, actually I kind of like the idea of having a all black cd drive. as for a monitor, I don't know. this computer is going to end up in a dorm room for the next 3 or 4 years. I might end up getting 1 of the 27 inch monitors that include a tv tuner. pardon the grammar, I'm using speech to text on my phone.
April 20, 2011 4:57:35 AM

Loving that first monitor you suggested. Maybe I won't bother with waiting for one of those 27" monitors after all. If I add on that monitor to the build Why_Me has suggested, it'll put me just above my spending cap.

Decisions, decisions!
April 20, 2011 6:23:57 AM

So, vs the $200 monitor suggested above, I loose an inch, save $20.00, and gain LED backlighting.

ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor Built-in Speakers for $200, $15 off if i order by tomorrow, but i won't...

Set against the ASUS VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers

You know what my problem is? Too many good choices!

They're both 2ms, so, they they'll both meet my gaming needs. I need someone to sway me one way or the other!

April 21, 2011 12:38:38 AM

The 24" monitor actually costs $185 with the promo code EMCKFJA46 which ends today. Does that make it easier? I dont know how the image quality differs between the two monitors. From what I hear,
Cheap LED < Regular LCD < Nice LED
But i dont know where the ASUS falls and honestly i dont think you could go wrong either way.
April 23, 2011 4:04:30 AM

I'm going for the 24,inches. Or another one. Either way, I'm getting a newer, bigger monitor for my computer. It would be a crime to run that 560 ti at anything less then 1920.
April 23, 2011 4:12:00 AM

Why_Me said:
Some peeps on here shove those SSD's down peoples throats like they are the best thing since sliced bread. Personally I can wait an extra few seconds for my Windows to boot up. But to others on here....they act like they are going to die without one. It all depends on your budget/needs I think.

I totally agree. SSD's are super overrated. My Win7 takes what, 40 secs to load? As opposed to 20? I can deal with that...
April 23, 2011 5:30:26 AM

The TXV2 750W PSU is $110 and not modular, plus it gets a 9.5/10 from reviewers.
This Black edition 750W is $110 and is modular gets the review...

You can get the Core edition for $95 AR, but that isn't modular. But all 3 are great, but the XFX's are either better + same price (black edition), or equal and cheaper (core)

and This [750] unit combines utterly amazing voltage regulation with outstanding efficiency and just about the best ripple and noise suppression I have ever seen. And it does it all silently, too, because I sure couldn't hear that fan at any time. Even in the hot box. I almost wish I could hand out better than a perfect score, but I can't so I won't.

For RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$75 for 1600MHZ G.Skill X SERIES 8GB (2x4GB) ram.
Excellent deal, remember to type in the promo code in the cart to get it for $75.
Your current ram is $46, and 1333mHZ x series g.skill, so for another $29 you get 4 more GB of higher frequency RAM. I wouldn't recommend 8GB of ram in a gaming system yet, but with that deal... yes i do.
April 23, 2011 5:54:43 AM

I'll have to look more at xfx when I get home. Modular won't be that big of a deal for me- the storm scout has excellent cable management.8 gigs may be a worthwhile upgrade. I'm going to have to see what specials are still available on the date I order. At this point, it looks like ill be ordering April 28, maybe 29 depending on when the funds clear.

Back to the power supply- reliability>power>sound>modular. Corsair has a reputation for reliability. But I'm open to other options. I don't know anything about xfx. Are they reliable? Pardon any grammar errors, I'm posting from my phone... thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming!
April 23, 2011 7:16:56 PM

My understanding is that seasonic makes the xfx psu's which means they are good...
April 23, 2011 7:50:23 PM

majin ssj eric said:
My understanding is that seasonic makes the xfx psu's which means they are good...

Seasonic makes the psu's for XFX, PC Power & Cooling, and the upper tier Corsair psu's.
April 24, 2011 12:13:20 AM

traviskane said:
I'll have to look more at xfx when I get home. Modular won't be that big of a deal for me- the storm scout has excellent cable management.8 gigs may be a worthwhile upgrade. I'm going to have to see what specials are still available on the date I order. At this point, it looks like ill be ordering April 28, maybe 29 depending on when the funds clear.

Back to the power supply- reliability>power>sound>modular. Corsair has a reputation for reliability. But I'm open to other options. I don't know anything about xfx. Are they reliable? Pardon any grammar errors, I'm posting from my phone... thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming!

One of the paragraphs in my post was a review by jonnyguru. Jonnyguru is among the only 3 places online where you get proper and regular PSU reviews. Anything above an 8 is an excellent PSU (Judged on functionality, looks and performance). The XFX 750/850 black edition scored a 9.7, and only got an 8 for looks, so it was pretty much a 9.9 before looks took it down.

The Corsair TX 750W V2 got a 9.5 i think, or a perhaps a 9.0. Either way, its excellent, but the XFX 750W black edition is the same wattage, same price and got a better rating, and is modular. People would fork out another $20-30 for modular PSU's, so when they are the same price.. well.. get the modular one with better ratings :) 
April 24, 2011 1:06:14 AM

Jonny gave my psu a 9.6 (well the 850W version anyway) and took off half a point just because its long...
April 24, 2011 4:27:14 AM

Blarg! Why can't it be next week already?!?!?
April 25, 2011 12:11:11 AM

Aha, Why_Me, I just recalculated your total. Actually, it's not 920... over $1000.00. But that's okay, I'm still going with that build. I think I might upgrade the power supply to the 850tx while I'm at it. You know, just to be on the safe side for if/when I upgrade to dual 560's.
April 25, 2011 12:56:15 AM

id really just stick with the 750w, it really is plenty for SLI 560's. you should re-evaluate your build the day before and the day of your buy; prices fluctuate alot on newegg as you have just seen.
April 25, 2011 1:41:16 AM

750 would save a decent chunk of change. But is there any harm in overshooting on the power supply wattage?

Also, just about every single item I want for my build is, as Why_Me suggested, cheaper on amazon, i might just order all my parts from there.
Related resources
!