How much power can a PCIe 2.0 bus deliver?

swaney

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Hello,

The reason I am asking is that I have purchased (its being shipped atm) a PCIe graphics card (Afox LP HD6850) which draws its power solely from the PCIe bus. The card at maximum draw is pulling ~130w. My motherboard is PCIe-2.0

On a lot of forums I have read that power delivered was upgraded from 75w in PCIe-1.x to 150w with the implantation of PCIe-2.0.

However PCI-SIG.com details that the maximum power deliver via PCIe 2.0 bus is 75w with additional power being required through PEG (power plugs for graphic card).

The wiki states that PCIe power was not upgraded to 150w until the PCIe-2.1 implementation.

So with the PCI-SIG and wiki above you would think this is the end of the story.

But.... always a but... Tomshardware.com tested this video card and the test bed they tested it on was only using a PCIe-2.0 bus.

So long story short does anyone know if this card will run in a PCIe-2.0 slot?

e56imfg

Distinguished
AFOX Starts Selling Low-Profile AMD Radeon HD 6850 in Japan
Even more impressive than the cooling system is the fact that AFOX has somehow managed to build the card so that it won't require any additional power except for the 75W that are provided via the PCI Express x16 slot.
How they managed to achieve this remains a mystery as the Barts GPU, used for the Radeon HD 6850, has an estimated power consumption of about 127W in load, so such cards usually require an additional 6-pin PCIe power connector to be installed.
So yes. It will run.

75w on PCI-e slot