taffy653

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Yesterday I was on my pc for a few hours playing games then stopped when I came back to my pc and started it up it booted then 2 mins later it BSOD'd which was annoying as my ram is pretty new.

So I took out each stick and tested each one it turned out that 3 sticks where "bad" so I used the one to just have my pc going then after a few hours another stick went so I decided to test them all again.

After the second check 2 where bad and 2 were good but if I use the 2 good ones together it would BSOD so would this be a ram or board problem ?

My System
MSI P55 GD85 mobo
Intel Core I5 3.2GHz: Akasa NeroS cooler
Corsair TX650
Gigabyte ATI HD 5850
WD Black 1TB
NZXT Phantom Red+Black custom case
2x Corsair 2GB + 2x Kingston Valueram 2GB

I can't tell which sticks are bad as they keep working then not working

Mixing brands of ram sometimes doesn't work. You are free to rma either pair or both, but don't expect them to work together. I would pick one of the pairs and sell it off, then get a second pair same as the first. It's cheaper than buying another board. If they still don't work, then rma the board.

taffy653

Distinguished
May 11, 2011

I could send the board back to ivory egg they have a person there I know :) hopefully they will be able to send me a replacement

But how does mixed ram just go bad it's been in my pc for a few months now ?

popatim

Titan
Check the specs of the ram for the voltage they should be running at and then check the volatage the bios has selected. The board cant set voltages for each individual stick so if some of your ram needs 1.6 and the other needs 1.5 then go ahead and run it all at 1.6