Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My current P67 setup - Are future upgrades *SMART*?

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 19, 2011 11:20:35 AM

Hey all, this post is just me asking for some opinions on my current build and whether my upgrades I will be getting in the future are *SMART*. All posts are appreciated. :p 

Items Purchased: :D 

Case: Corsair 650D
PSU: Corsair HX-850
RAM: Corsair 8GB 1866MHz CL8 Vengeance
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k (will o/c up to 5GHz)
MB: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
(A nice 'high end', solid board for 6-core use [I could've got R4F, but the P8P67 Deluxe alone costs $340 in AUS]) :fou: 
GPU: Asus GTX560 TI
OD: Asus x24 SATA Light-scribe
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Fan Controller: Scythe Kaze Server
CPU Cooling: XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 (coolant; Thermochill EC6 Clear/UV blue - fans; 2 x Gelid Wing UV blue)

Future Upgrades: (notice '67' suffix addiction ex; P67, GTX670) - LOL :kaola: 

Intel 'Ivy Bridge' 6 core processor (apparently P67 will support 'Ivy Bridge' [22nm])
nVidia GTX670 (I know it's REALLY early to start thinking of 6xx, but - it's best to be planning; right?)
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB drive (Probably getting this first [around XMAS] as I would want smoke to clear on other hardware) :heink: 

Alright, thanks to all for reading my post;
Intel1502
a c 103 B Homebuilt system
April 19, 2011 1:08:14 PM

Good build and nice upgrade plans!
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 19, 2011 1:20:12 PM

If you're just gaming, you'll be fine with the i5-2500K for quite a while. 6-cores won't help you at all in games for at least another few years (we can't get past 4 even). You can also OC your i5 to well over 4.5 GHz.

Same with the GPU. I'd recommend OCing it first, then adding a second one if you need it and OC them both. It's not very difficult with MSI Afterburner.

I would DEFINITELY get the OCZ Vertex 3. The Vertex 2 is on sale today @ Newegg for $100 after MIR, just FYI.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 19, 2011 1:35:43 PM

boiler1990 said:
If you're just gaming, you'll be fine with the i5-2500K for quite a while. 6-cores won't help you at all in games for at least another few years (we can't get past 4 even). You can also OC your i5 to well over 4.5 GHz.

Same with the GPU. I'd recommend OCing it first, then adding a second one if you need it and OC them both. It's not very difficult with MSI Afterburner.

I would DEFINITELY get the OCZ Vertex 3. The Vertex 2 is on sale today @ Newegg for $100 after MIR, just FYI.


Australia. When American prices are 100$, expect to have to spend 2 or 3 fold more in Australia. :( 
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2011 3:28:42 AM

intel1502 said:
Australia. When American prices are 100$, expect to have to spend 2 or 3 fold more in Australia. :( 


I wish there were some sort of indicator that would tell everybody where the user was posting from. It would have enlightened me to the fact that you're in Australia, not the US :??: 
m
0
l
April 23, 2011 2:13:00 PM

boiler1990 said:
I wish there were some sort of indicator that would tell everybody where the user was posting from. It would have enlightened me to the fact that you're in Australia, not the US :??: 


Quote from my first message; (A nice 'high end', solid board for 6-core use [I could've got R4F, but the P8P67 Deluxe alone costs $340 in AUS])
Notice how i say 'AUS'? ;) 
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 23, 2011 2:17:41 PM

I don't think the P67 will do the hexcore chips, which from intel will probably be outrageously priced anyway (Think 990X price).

affordable 6-core will probly be in Bulldozer and Llano
m
0
l
April 26, 2011 10:56:25 AM

*cough* I've seen benches with the 2500k smashing the *** out of i7 950/x6 1100T. It's probably really obvious but how come this low power quad core beats 8 thread/6 core?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 26, 2011 12:00:03 PM

Intel's architecture evolved incredibly with this last generation. They also throw in millions more in R&D than AMD does, which is why they're so far ahead.
m
0
l
!