Sign in with
Your question

Will my motherboard fit in the case??

Last response: in Components
July 19, 2011 3:03:15 PM

Hi. After a long consideration, I decided to build a new computer.
However, I need to keep my current case, so my parents don't find out. :na: 

My current case is

Dell Dimension E520.

The motherboard I'm going to buy is the one in this bundle

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Intel%26%23174%3B+-+Unlocke...

My case currently has a motherboard named

Dell 0WG864

Also, will Nvidia GTX 460 fit in the case too?
I don't think I'll buy an aftermarket CPU heatsink/fan because 3.3.GHz sounds good enough to me.

More about : motherboard fit case

July 19, 2011 4:42:27 PM

Yes they're both ATX Boards. But please don't buy components from best buy. Way over priced! For that price there is a way better mobo (z68 vs p67) and same cpu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
or for 40 bucks less for same deal you wanted
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

As for the 460, it's not a very big card so you will most likely be able to fit it. you could measure from edge of your case to hard drive bays if its bigger than 460 (8.25") length than your fine

Dell uses small power supplies So you may want to upgrade your psu too. Here is a nice silverstone
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for your computer I believe its ddr2 so you would have to get new ram. With all these upgrades I would suggest just making a new build? If that's the case I can help you through that to
m
l
July 19, 2011 7:21:54 PM

I understand Best Buy is overpriced, but I can't order online without my parents knowing about it. So I HAVE to stick with Best Buy. :( 

I'll have to measure the length in my case later.

I already have a 500 watt/600 watt peak PSU. That should be enough for the 460.

And yes, I already have DDR3 RAM planned for the new motherboard.

It IS a new build, and I can only use Best Buy. I'm planning on building a gaming PC that won't require upgrades in the next few years and still play the newest games on 1024x768 resolution (fail monitor), high texture qualities, and with shadows. I think I've already decided on my motherboard and CPU since it's a bundle.

Do you think GTX 460 won't bottleneck the i5-2500k?

Also, do I need to buy a new Windows license for a new motherboard?
Can't I just switch the hard drive?...
Windows 7 64-bit upgrade is 200 dollars in Best Buy...

My budget is about 800 dollars. (I have to pay taxes and s/h with the 800 too)
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2011 7:33:21 PM

GTX 460 from what ive heard is a fairly solid card. It should work nicely with the i5.

Your OS is usually installed to your HDD on the very first section of the drive (master boot record) i think its called. So all you should need to do is connect the HDD and your PC should boot exactly as before.
m
l
July 19, 2011 7:38:30 PM

Yes, Best Buy is way overpriced. They need to markup their prices a lot to make up for their giant store.
Where do you live?

If you live in the US, try Tiger Direct. Their prices are generally OK. Hope you have one near you!
http://www.compusa.com/retailstores/compusaStores/
If you live in Canada, then Canada Computers' prices can't be beat.

And most importantly, if you do buy from a retail store, buy from a known, reliable computer store.
Don't buy from a shoddy-looking store. They probably don't have warranty nor a return policy.
m
l
July 19, 2011 7:50:52 PM

Friend, simply order at newegg and ship to a friends house. build your pc there, and bring it home with you.

If you think it may be suspecious arriving with a PC, ask a friend to bring it when your parents are not home
m
l
July 19, 2011 7:53:37 PM

But honestly, no point in upgrading without upgrading that monitor first...
m
l
July 19, 2011 8:11:27 PM

Unfortunately, Best Buy is the only store around me. Unless Wal-Mart decided to go on a war with Best Buy.

@leandrodafontoura

None of my friends' parents are reliable enough to keep it a secret... so I don't think I'll ship it to my friend's house..
Also, upgrading any expensive physically showing computer part will indicate that I spent money on a computer. Besides, 1024x768 seems good to me for now.

So you guys are saying, as long as I connect my current hard drive to the new motherboard, I don't have to purchase a new Windows upgrade CD?

So let me get this straight.

For my new computer, I have to buy the i5-2500k/motherboard bundle, RAM, GTX 460. Then just savage the CD/DVD-ROM, hard drive, and power supply from my current pc and just connect them all together? and put them all in the current pc case I have?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2011 8:17:29 PM

if you say where you live then surely someone could point out a computer store with better prices. also, smaller computer stores will be more likely to allow you to bring your case in and verify new parts would fit.
m
l
July 19, 2011 8:21:43 PM

I know for sure that there isn't any store other than Best Buy, and Best Buy is the only store I have access to as I can't drive.

Will someone answer my questions listed above branden's reply
m
l
July 19, 2011 8:24:32 PM

Do you have the original Windows 7 CD? If you do, just do a fresh install when you've finished setting up your new system.

But in any case, if you change the motherboard and/or processor, you must to do a fresh reinstall.

What hard drive and DVD/CD drive do you have?
Make sure they have SATA connections cause that board doesn't seem to have IDE connections.

And power supply, what type and power?
m
l
July 19, 2011 8:32:50 PM

I actually don't have Windows 7. I currently have Windows Vista 32-bit, but I thought I could save money by just connect the hard drive to the new motherboard. Will I HAVE to install a new Windows if I change the motherboard and/or the CPU? Is there anyway I can build a new pc without having to buy that $200 Windows 7 upgrade CD pack?

I really don't know what SATA connections are...

Here are the names/models of my disk drives and CD/DVD-ROM drives

Disk Drives

ST3250824AS
TEAC USB HS-CF Card USB Device
TEAC USB HS-MS Card USB Device
TEAC USB HS-SD Card USB Device
TEAC USB HS-xD/SM USB Device

CD/DVD-ROM Drives

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A

My power supply is Rocketfish 500 watt/600 watt peak. I don't plan on buying a new one for it.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2011 8:39:54 PM

If you plan on using the OS that came on your Dell, be aware that it won't work. The Dell version of windows is keyed to the motherboard that shipped in the Dell(has all the drivers for the motherboard), and will NOT have any of the drivers for your new Mobo. not to mention the license from Microsoft...
m
l
July 19, 2011 8:41:52 PM

Does this mean I HAVE to buy a new Windows license?

Will I lose my Microsoft Word 2007 as well?

Windows 7 license is too expensive. Is there no other way without buying it???
m
l
July 19, 2011 8:43:08 PM

Ok, your power supply should be able to support your new setup. Not sure about its reliability though.
And all your devices seem to have SATA connections (the way the device connects with the motherboard).

However, I would not recommend plugging your old hard drive into the new motherboard. It will either not work or run into countless problems due to incorrect drivers, file mappings, etc.
Well, do you have the original Windows Vista 32-bit installation disc?

Edit: There are *cough* illegal ways of obtaining Windows 7. But your mileage may vary.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2011 8:47:36 PM

reqhjack24 said:
Does this mean I HAVE to buy a new Windows license?

Will I lose my Microsoft Word 2007 as well?

Windows 7 license is too expensive. Is there no other way without buying it???

Legally, yes, you need a new license for Windows. :cry:  I am not sure about Word though
m
l
July 19, 2011 8:50:28 PM

I don't have the installation CD for Windows Vista nor the Microsoft Word 2007...

You said something about my PSU's reliability? GTX 460 requires minimum of 450 watts and mine can reach up to 500 or 600 at peak? I don't understand.

So, I have to buy a new hard drive I see. Is there anyway that I can extract the OS from this computer and install it on the new computer? The Windows 7 installation CD is too expensive to fit in my budget....
m
l
July 19, 2011 9:09:39 PM

dragonic, do u think you can help me with the Windows 7 installation thing?
200 dollars is just too much. Yet, I need to install it because I don't know how to use a computer without an Operating System.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 20, 2011 12:30:53 PM

reqhjack24 said:
I don't have the installation CD for Windows Vista nor the Microsoft Word 2007...

You said something about my PSU's reliability? GTX 460 requires minimum of 450 watts and mine can reach up to 500 or 600 at peak? I don't understand.

So, I have to buy a new hard drive I see. Is there anyway that I can extract the OS from this computer and install it on the new computer? The Windows 7 installation CD is too expensive to fit in my budget....

Rocketfish is not known for its reliability. While good PSUs state their output as continuous, others rate their output as Peak. In any case, the important specification is Amps available on the +12V rails. Most everything in the PC uses +12 volts, so you have to have enough amps to supply all the current needed by the PC. here is a review of the BestBuy house brands:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2008/05/13/getting_best_...

They say that the Rocketfish 700 watt PSU would make only a mediocre 550 watt unit, so no telling what the 500w unit you have is really capable of. :pfff: 

Extracting the OS from the old HD and putting it on the new HD doesn't get around the problems you will have because of incorrect drivers for the motherboard.

Again, even if you could extract the OS, it still wouldn't be LEGAL and the first time you tried to use Windows update, THAT would fail.

[edit to add link to review of Rocketfish PSU]
m
l
July 20, 2011 12:51:45 PM

reqhjack24 said:
dragonic, do u think you can help me with the Windows 7 installation thing?
200 dollars is just too much. Yet, I need to install it because I don't know how to use a computer without an Operating System.

As I said, it is illegal.
If you want to be a criminal, then I can't help you.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
July 20, 2011 3:13:11 PM

Could you talk your parents into getting a windows 7 upgrade from someplace like Newegg? It's only about half the price you've been quoting, I assume from BestBuy.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 20, 2011 5:06:07 PM

it seems obvious that you don't have the financial means to upgrade your computer (i'm going to assume this is also why your parents would be mad if they found out), and it's quite apparent that you don't quite have the know-how to handle such a task yourself, subtly even less.

go earn some extra cash, enough that your parents wouldn't mind of you spend a couple hundred on a computer upgrade. then you wouldn't have to sneak around paying inflated bestbuy prices or trying to upgrade it yourself from reading online advice.
m
l
!