Sign in with
Your question

Two Bad Motherboards? Or I did something wrong.

Last response: in Motherboards
March 29, 2012 4:29:38 AM

So I bought the H67-G43 motherboard, even with the bad reviews I thought that they were just the unlucky few that were mad and wanted to give it a single egg review. However, this is my second board and whenever I turn on the computer the fans spin up and the drives turn on, but they turn off 3-5 seconds later and turn on again into an endless cycle. I tested the psu with another computer and it worked fine.

CPU - i3 2120
RAM - Corsair DDR3 1600 1.65 V (tried 1 and 2 sticks)
PSU - OCZ 600 watt modular.
Heatsink - Hyper 212+
Hard Drive - OCZ Solid 3 sata III 60GB ssd
Chasis - Cooler Master Storm Scout

More about : bad motherboards wrong

a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2012 4:55:54 AM

this is a POST failure, it can be the mobo, CPU, ram, or power supply (alternately it could be a bad GPU, HDD, ODD, or CMOS battery... but those are much less likely). Most likely it is bad system memory, try it in another system, or try some other ram in your system and see if that helps.

Often times when you RMA a mobo then the company will send you another board that has been RMA'd and supposedly checked out. In other words when you get one RMA it is more likely to get a small series of them until you get one that works.
m
l
March 29, 2012 5:04:26 AM

CaedenV said:
this is a POST failure, it can be the mobo, CPU, ram, or power supply (alternately it could be a bad GPU, HDD, ODD, or CMOS battery... but those are much less likely). Most likely it is bad system memory, try it in another system, or try some other ram in your system and see if that helps.

Often times when you RMA a mobo then the company will send you another board that has been RMA'd and supposedly checked out. In other words when you get one RMA it is more likely to get a small series of them until you get one that works.

The ram and HDD worked on my old system. As for the CMOS battery I'm not sure how to test that. If it is a GPU problem, do you think it would boot if I stuck a dedicated graphics card and not an integrated graphics card on there?
m
l
Related resources
a c 195 V Motherboard
March 29, 2012 5:39:38 AM

It's still probably a RAM issue. H67 boards only support 1.5v DDR3 1333. Only P67 and Z68 allow for higher speed memory. You void the warranty of any Sandy Bridge chips by going over 1.5v DDR3 1333.

With P67 and Z68 I have seen no issues with 1.5v DDR3 1600 but even with those boards that support higher speed RAM I have seen cases of 1.65v memory actually damaging CPUs on the Intel forums.

The memory controller is on the CPU with Sandy Bridge chips so anything over 1.5v DDR3 1333 is overclocking the CPU. Your RAM very well might work fine with any other generation of CPUs.
m
l
March 29, 2012 6:04:15 AM

anort3 said:
It's still probably a RAM issue. H67 boards only support 1.5v DDR3 1333. Only P67 and Z68 allow for higher speed memory. You void the warranty of any Sandy Bridge chips by going over 1.5v DDR3 1333.

With P67 and Z68 I have seen no issues with 1.5v DDR3 1600 but even with those boards that support higher speed RAM I have seen cases of 1.65v memory actually damaging CPUs on the Intel forums.

The memory controller is on the CPU with Sandy Bridge chips so anything over 1.5v DDR3 1333 is overclocking the CPU. Your RAM very well might work fine with any other generation of CPUs.

I thought it would work because when I put it on my foxxcon mini-itx 1155 H67s board, the ram downclocked to 1.5v 1333. I have a 1.5v 1600 g.skill set in my current comp, I tried it on the first msi board. I'll try to stick it on this board to see what happens.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2012 6:47:31 AM

Why not just buy a z68 board?
m
l
March 29, 2012 7:44:38 AM

amuffin said:
Why not just buy a z68 board?

This board costed only 60 bucks and I was on a budget. This computer was for my parents.
m
l
!