Sign in with
Your question

Starting remote assistance w/o admin PW

Last response: in Windows 7
December 2, 2011 12:59:33 PM

I am trying to set it up so I can use remote assistance for a Win7 Home PC and the user not have to know the admin password to allow it. I am trying to look down a teens PC so they have to go to me for installs.

But it seems when I try to do RA they have to know the admin password at the actual computer, is there anyway to make it so RA does not prompt for it?

Thanks for any help
Ant
a b $ Windows 7
December 2, 2011 1:11:55 PM

ant man said:
I am trying to set it up so I can use remote assistance for a Win7 Home PC and the user not have to know the admin password to allow it. I am trying to look down a teens PC so they have to go to me for installs.

But it seems when I try to do RA they have to know the admin password at the actual computer, is there anyway to make it so RA does not prompt for it?

Thanks for any help
Ant

i didn't quite understand what you were trying to say... looks like you want to lock someone else's pc down without them knowing the password so that they are forced to come to you for software installs. sounds kinda fishy.
if you password-protect a pc, anyone who wants to use will be asked for a password.
m
l
December 2, 2011 3:01:45 PM

If you are doing this for your child like it appears, or even for yourself, create a seperate user account for them. This way you use the admin account / password to install things and they user the user account / password to use the computer.

Some more information here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee623984(WS.10).aspx
m
l
Related resources
December 8, 2011 4:30:59 PM

My inlaws are stuck taking care of their niece and well she can't be trusted.
I was looking for a way to make it so she can't do anything she shouldn't be doing.
I thought if I set an admin password on her new Windows 7 PC that I could stop her but then for her to install anything I would have to come down there and they live over an hour away.
I tried the remote assistance but when I would set it up the user would need to know the admin password, so I would either have to give it to her which would defeat the whole purpose of this or I would have to have my mother in law go over and type it and that's not really an option.

I just ended up leaving it unlocked, if she infects her computer hopefully norton will catch it or I will just have to reinstall everything again.

I guess I need more training or maybe look at getting her a different version of Win7, Home doesn't have the features I need, maybe Business does.

She's going to be a bad kid, regardless. I just kinda wanted some experience using the remote options.

Thanks for your help.
m
l
December 9, 2011 1:09:49 PM

She wouldn't need the admin password to establish a remote assistance session. Create her a user account. Create yourself an admin account. Once the remote session is established you can install applications by running as a different user (your admin account). Shift+right click on the executable and select "Run as a different user". All you have to do is input your admin credentials and click ok.

Remote desktop could also be configured but that will generally require more time and work to setup in a situation like this. You could also use remote access tools like Logmein, Teamviewer or GoToMyPC.

logmein.com
teamviewer.com
gotomypc.com
m
l
a c 228 $ Windows 7
December 9, 2011 2:24:39 PM

Depending on the version of win7 she has, you could also use remote desktop and just login to your account.

As suggested, you should have the only administrator account. All other accounts should be set as "limited user". Limited users can still run programs and do the basic necessities, but they can't change stuff in the control panel, add/remove software, and other bad things. If a limited account gets infected by a virus, it will usually be trapped within that account since that account is limited in what it can do.
m
l
!