Sign in with
Your question

Comp randomly restarts under load, every time I play a game... wtf...

Last response: in Motherboards
March 29, 2012 5:03:12 AM

My comp is one week old and this is starting to develop into a very often problem... man

So it firsthappened 4 days ago when I was gaming, and now happens 10 minutes of gaming. (I play Skyrim...)

There has got to be a reason as there is for EVERYTHING and this is no exception... my specs are at the bottom but what i've definitely noticed and found that the semi-reason or possibility is DEFINITELY something with stress... When playing a game it will just PIF! off! doesnt even go through the win "Shutting down computr..." just straight up stop, black screen, and restarts... wtf y? My temps are fine... sigh i want this fixed sooo bad. All help is soooo damn appreciated. Thanks guys and also any more info or test u need me to take? (I left my comp completely idle for 20 mins, no reboot... wow...)

Thanks guys! My specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-PRO/GEN3
Graphics card: (at the moment) GTX 560 Ti, will be getting the GTX 680 FTW 4GB
CPU: i5 2550k @ 3.4GHz stock. No OC'ing at the moment...
Power Supply: Gold certified Cooler Master 800w silent pro PSU (will consider 1000w for x2 680...)
HDD: 3TB 7200rpm 64MB cache
RAM: 16GB 1600MHz speed DDR3 (G. Skill RipJaws)

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2012 6:48:31 AM

Temps?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2012 7:45:25 AM

Only thing I can think of is swap out the video card if you have another one or can borrow one from a very good friend for a few hours. Check to see if your CPU fan is running. Do you have a stock HSF or aftermarket HSF? You will have to run with the side panel off and do a visual and/or touch test on the CPU and GPU for that as temps cool down very fast after a shutdown.
m
l
Related resources
March 29, 2012 5:32:05 PM

My temps are fine, HSF? Also um the temps are seriously fine, the CPU is at like 40c ish and the GPU is 30c-50c :)  I can't swap out the vid card got no more atm for a month. I did JUST buy this GTX 560 Ti... but before I return it (Best Buy) I'd like to make 100% sure that the GPU IS for sure the problem :) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2012 5:44:15 PM

Can you post your actual temps under load? 30-50c is a pretty huge range (my card only fluctuates about 1 degree under load), and sound like idle temps to me.

I know you say your temps are fine, but I've seen plenty of people here claim exactly that when they're running processors at 80C and above. What you're describing is exactly the kind of issue you'd see if you're overheating badly.
m
l
March 29, 2012 5:49:53 PM

1) The first thing to try is to make sure you're not overclocking anything. This includes checking that your motherboard bios isn't set to AI-boost, smart-boost or whatever, which is just a form of bios-controlled overclock.

2) Make sure your motherboard is running the latest bios from the manufacturers website.

3) Using proper antistatic precautions try just removing/reinstalling your ram. They may have been seated badly or the contacts have gotten a layer of oxide. This can cause symptoms exactly like yours. While you have the case open, vacuum up any dust that could be causing a thermal issue. Espcially look for dust around the CPU fan, in the PSU, and in the GPU cooler.

4) If you got this far and are definately not overclocking anything, it sounds like something is definately temperature-sensitive.

5) Try causing the problem with the case open, to see that its not a case cooling problem.

6) If you still have the problem and all your temps that you can monitor are defnately OK, I'd begin suspecting/checking things that don't have a temperature sensor, such as PSU, motherboard chipset and RAM.

7) Try running memtest86 for an hour or two to make sure your ram is good under normal load.

8) Significantly underclock your RAM then try and recreate the problem by running Skyrim. Most ram manufacturers use the same ram chips just differently binned for different performance ram. Often they are a little 'optimistic' to start with, and as the ram gets older and/or warmer it changes its performance profile slightly.

9) If you can see that your CPU is running hot, get some good thermal paste such as Arctic Silver. Using proper antistatic precautions remove the CPU from the motherboard and carefully and thoroughly clean your cpu and cpu cooler with solvent (I prefer acetone for this). Remove all signs of the cheap crap even supposedly good manufacturers like Dell and HP use. Use a VERY thin layer of the good thermal paste when you put it back. Too much can cause heating problems too.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2012 5:54:28 PM

You can't tell for sure it's the GPU without swapping out for a known good (or new) GPU.

I had a *very* similar problem with 3 1/2 year old 8800GTX but don't know what the odds are of this happening with a brand new card.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2012 7:12:55 PM

Sounds like overheating, what are you prime 95 max temps? 30-50 is pretty ridiculously roundabout, run cpu id hw monitor (google it) and keep it open while your gaming, it will record your min/max temps for the entire session you have it open for all your components, not just cpu.

Could be bad ram or bad ram settings in bios. Have you run memtest86?

Oh and a 800w psu is overkill for even a GTX680, why would you consider getting a 1000w???
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2012 8:28:37 PM

A straight up reboot when you run something in 3D?

Well that narrows it down , either a GPU problem or you have a faulty PSU
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2012 8:32:43 PM

kitsunestarwind said:
A straight up reboot when you run something in 3D?

Well that narrows it down , either a GPU problem or you have a faulty PSU

Or bad ram, or an overheating cpu, or......yeah narrowed down. lol
m
l
May 2, 2012 4:06:28 AM

I had this exact issue with my computer for an extended period time, even though it was limited to certain games (Dragon Age for example). In the end it turned out to be a bad or insufficient PSU. I found it out by monitoring voltages while running with high GPU load - I got drops down below 11v on the 12v rail before it died.

The power supply should have been sufficient at 650W so it was most likely bad or incorrectly balanced (since then I make sure to only get PSU's with a single 12v rail).

Do some voltage monitoring while running with the GPU active and idle and see if your voltages keep up (or simply just replace the GPU and see if it works).
m
l
!