Sign in with
Your question

Newbie trying to build a computer!

Last response: in Systems
April 19, 2011 3:17:21 PM

Hello,

I am in need of a new computer and I thought I might try my hand at building my own, partly because I'm tired of buying an entire system every 2 years (after something breaks down). I am sure you can already tell that I am not an expert in this field however, I have done a bit of research and was hoping I could get some advice from the good folks on this forum :-).

Anyway, a few things you should know....I have about $2000 that will be re-imbursed to me through work for this build. I would like to build a computer that will last me more than 2 years. My wife is into graphic design and video editing and stuff so I would like to build a computer that is fast enough to support all of that type of stuff for a while. I am not really a gamer so this is not a gaming machine. I do however run some programs that do some heavy calculations (engineering type programs) and often take some time to perform. Also, setting up a home network with the ability to remote into my sytem is an important upgrade I would like to have.

I have done a bit of research and I really like the reviews the Intel core i7 950 and 960 are getting (as well as the price). Any advice on what type of X58 motherboard I should get with those processors (I have thought about going with GigaByte X58A-UD5 or UD7)? What about power supply?

I have questions regarding almost every aspect of a new build (I want to be sure I get compatible components) so I guess I will leave it at this for now. I will have more questions in the near future. Also, I will try to find answers to my questions on other threads before I post....don't want to waste anyone's time needlessly.

Thanks so much in advance for the help.

More about : newbie build computer

April 19, 2011 3:32:40 PM

get a sandy bridge i7 2600 and ati 6950 unlock it to a 6970.
m
l
April 19, 2011 3:35:24 PM

Hi, If youre not gaming but you need a good CPU to deal with those multithreaded apps i would suggest going with AMD. At that price point you should easily be able to afford a Phenom II x6 1100T. As for your motherboard, i assume youre not planning on overclocking or SLI/Crossfire so you could get away with a relatively cheap one. With RAM, i'd definitely suggest 2x4GB 1333Mhz. Also you should go with a decent brand such as Corsair/G.Skill/OCZ. As for a PSU again, i'm assuming youre not going to be overclocking or using SLI/Crossfire so you could just get a decent branded (XFX/Corsair/Antec/Cooler Master) 450-500W PSU and that would be more than sufficient.

If you have any more queries on how to build the computer then have a look around here, i'm pretty sure there is a really useful guide here somewhere.

P.S. Be sure that if you decide not to buy a graphics card that you have a motherboard with onboard graphics.
m
l
April 19, 2011 3:42:10 PM

first off, the X58 platform is DEAD.

You want a newer, Sandy Bridge build. for 3D animation and engineering software, I'd suggest a i7-2600 or i7-2600K
m
l
!