Am I near the end of my build?

Cored17

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Originally I had a Presario SR5410F, it wasnt working anymore for games and such. So I bought a ASRock 770DE+ motherboard, and a Athlon II x3 450 CPU, and a MSI R5770 Hawk video card. Kept my DDR2 memory 4GB(2x2). Bought a new case since the new board didnt fit in the old one and the case came with a 500w psu. I kept the hard drive and DVD drive from the Compaq. I am wondering what else i have left to do that would make any difference? I am thinking that with my current setup without starting over I would be better off buying a DDR3 board and some DDR3 memory? expensive yes but im just curious if thats whats left? Will a newer hard drive make a difference in performance? I am very happy with the setup now so im more just curious than anything I guess. so Im open to all suggestions. :) Cheers!

Solution
What do you do with your machine?

You won't see any major upgrades for going to DDR3. Not worth it. If you have a really old harddrive (especially if you can hear it clicking) you might benefit from that, as they do wear out, but unless yours is already giving you problems you probably won't see a major boost either.

There's not much you can upgrade on your machine that isn't also just a money sink. Someone might come in and tell you to put an SSD drive in there, but I'm going to tell you that's like putting $3,000 rims on a 20 year old Civic.

wombat_tg

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
What do you do with your machine?

You won't see any major upgrades for going to DDR3. Not worth it. If you have a really old harddrive (especially if you can hear it clicking) you might benefit from that, as they do wear out, but unless yours is already giving you problems you probably won't see a major boost either.

There's not much you can upgrade on your machine that isn't also just a money sink. Someone might come in and tell you to put an SSD drive in there, but I'm going to tell you that's like putting $3,000 rims on a 20 year old Civic.

Solution