LEAK - Nikon Strikes Back

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 19, 2005 2:33:03 AM

Nikon will blow Canon away at PMA with a new DSLR using a soon-to-be-
announced Sony 10.2 MP sensor.

http://img184.exs.cx/img184/4734/d2009nx.jpg
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 2:33:04 AM

Nikon Shooter 001 wrote:
> Nikon will blow Canon away at PMA with a new DSLR using a soon-to-be-
> announced Sony 10.2 MP sensor.
>

> http://img184.exs.cx/img184/4734/d2009nx.jpg

Such bravado! No one is going to blow anyone away in the near future. I
hope Nikon brings out something great, though. We all benefit from a
rousing competition, esp. when there's room for innovation and
improvement at a high clip.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

"Nikon Shooter 001" <not@nomail.invalid> wrote in message

> Nikon will blow Canon away at PMA with a new DSLR using a soon-to-be-
> announced Sony 10.2 MP sensor.
>

> http://img184.exs.cx/img184/4734/d2009nx.jpg

When Nikon says, "Summer 2005", that could mean "winter 2006."
Even if it's summer 2005, that could mean August. -That's SIX MONTHS AWAY (an age in
digital time).

In any event...before summer 2005 ends, Canon will have likely released the 30D, or 25D,
or 3D, or whatever different beast they intend to bonk Nikon with.

Personally, I hope Nikon comes out with it EARLY, and that it truly DOES blow Canon away.
That would mean bigger, chearper Canon options SOONER. Competition is great. Nikon just
hasn't been offering very much of it in the last few years.
February 19, 2005 2:33:04 AM

"Nikon Shooter 001" <not@nomail.invalid> wrote in message

> Nikon will blow Canon away at PMA with a new DSLR using a soon-to-be-
> announced Sony 10.2 MP sensor.
>

> http://img184.exs.cx/img184/4734/d2009nx.jpg

Seems to me this is meant to compete with the 20D (mag alloy body, 5 fps)
not the new Rebel; a difference of 2 megapixels hardly qualifies as
'blowing' Canon away. Competition is still a good thing, though.

Mark
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 3:36:39 AM

In article <fvSdneZ-_9yqGovfRVn-2w@comcast.com>, mbohntrash54
@comcast.net says...
> "Nikon Shooter 001" <not@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
> >

> > Nikon will blow Canon away at PMA with a new DSLR using a soon-to-be-
> > announced Sony 10.2 MP sensor.
> >

> > http://img184.exs.cx/img184/4734/d2009nx.jpg
>
> Seems to me this is meant to compete with the 20D (mag alloy body, 5 fps)
> not the new Rebel; a difference of 2 megapixels hardly qualifies as
> 'blowing' Canon away. Competition is still a good thing, though.
>
> Mark

What about noise performance? Still no samples of that APS-C 12.1
megapixel sensor on the D2X.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
Anonymous

"Nikon Shooter 001" <not@nomail.invalid> wrote in message

> Nikon will blow Canon away at PMA with a new DSLR using a soon-to-be-
> announced Sony 10.2 MP sensor.
>

> http://img184.exs.cx/img184/4734/d2009nx.jpg

Then Canon will come out with something after that and so on...

Does it really matter which one of these companies are in front?
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 6:14:19 AM

JohnR66 wrote:
> "Nikon Shooter 001" <not@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
>

>>Nikon will blow Canon away at PMA with a new DSLR using a soon-to-be-
>>announced Sony 10.2 MP sensor.
>>

>>http://img184.exs.cx/img184/4734/d2009nx.jpg
>

> Then Canon will come out with something after that and so on...
>
> Does it really matter which one of these companies are in front?

It does to those who want to own the latest and greatest, even if they
can't learn how to make good pictures with it before having to replace
it with the next 'latest and greatest'. Grin.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

"JohnR66" <nospam@att.net> wrote in message
> "Nikon Shooter 001" <not@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
>>

>> Nikon will blow Canon away at PMA with a new DSLR using a soon-to-be-
>> announced Sony 10.2 MP sensor.
>>

>> http://img184.exs.cx/img184/4734/d2009nx.jpg
>
> Then Canon will come out with something after that and so on...
>
> Does it really matter which one of these companies are in front?

What matters about it is how this jousting effects what is reasonably available to those
invested in one system or the other.
I'm invested in Canon, so what Nikon does is important to me to the extent that it pushes
Canon farther forward, and prices down. I would benefit greatly from a full size,
high-res sensor at a reasonable price. Nikon is helping to ensure Canon will offer this
sooner rather than later.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 6:15:54 AM

"Jon Pike" <Anonomoose@spamlesshotmail.com> wrote in message
> Nikon Shooter 001 <not@nomail.invalid> wrote in
>

>> Nikon will blow Canon away at PMA with a new DSLR using a soon-to-be-
>> announced Sony 10.2 MP sensor.
>>

>> http://img184.exs.cx/img184/4734/d2009nx.jpg
>>

> blow away eh?
> too bad canon's already over 16mp...
>
> --
> http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet

When that 17MP sensor appears in a sub $1,000 SLR is when I'll be exited.
John
February 19, 2005 6:16:46 AM

Mark B. wrote:

> Seems to me this is meant to compete with the 20D (mag alloy body, 5 fps)
> not the new Rebel; a difference of 2 megapixels hardly qualifies as
> 'blowing' Canon away. Competition is still a good thing, though.

Unless the canon was 2MP larger then it would "blow away" the nikon!

--

Stacey
Anonymous

Nikon will blow Canon away at PMA with a new DSLR using a soon-to-be-
announced Sony 10.2 MP sensor.
----------------------------------

Oh sure, blame Sony!
February 19, 2005 9:46:47 PM

"Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message
> Nikon will blow Canon away at PMA with a new DSLR using a soon-to-be-
> announced Sony 10.2 MP sensor.
> ----------------------------------
>
> Oh sure, blame Sony!

They could use a second generation, or a stripped down version of the 12.2
megapixel CMOS sensor that's in the D2X. Housed in a D100 shell, without the
high-speed cropping, and a smaller frame buffer. R&D costs would indicate
that Nikon would want this technology in more than one camera.
February 19, 2005 10:03:13 PM

> JohnR66 wrote:
> > "Nikon Shooter 001" <not@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
> >

> >>Nikon will blow Canon away at PMA with a new DSLR using a soon-to-be-
> >>announced Sony 10.2 MP sensor.
> >>

> >>http://img184.exs.cx/img184/4734/d2009nx.jpg
> >

> > Then Canon will come out with something after that and so on...
> >
> > Does it really matter which one of these companies are in front?
> >

> It does to those who want to own the latest and greatest, even if they
> can't learn how to make good pictures with it before having to replace
> it with the next 'latest and greatest'. Grin.
>

> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

You mean the "under 25" crowd? Gadget lust before they've gotten burned
enough times to realize that they are paying double (they bear the brunt of
the
R&D and tooling costs) for 90 days bragging rights. But, it's OK by
me...I'd
rather have them squander THEIR money on covering the non-recurring
engineering
costs than me! <g>

George
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 10:52:14 PM

> Oh sure, blame Sony!

They could use a second generation, or a stripped down version of the
12.2
megapixel CMOS sensor that's in the D2X. Housed in a D100 shell,
without the
high-speed cropping, and a smaller frame buffer. R&D costs would
indicate
that Nikon would want this technology in more than one camera.
--------------------------

It's too bad that unlike Canon, Nikon has to rely on Sony to make all
their sensors.
Probably why Nikon is always late to the party.
February 19, 2005 10:52:15 PM

> > Oh sure, blame Sony!
>
> They could use a second generation, or a stripped down version of the
> 12.2 megapixel CMOS sensor that's in the D2X. Housed in a D100 shell,
> without the high-speed cropping, and a smaller frame buffer. R&D costs
would
> indicate that Nikon would want this technology in more than one camera.
> --------------------------
>
> It's too bad that unlike Canon, Nikon has to rely on Sony to make all
> their sensors. Probably why Nikon is always late to the party.

Oddly enough the equipment Sony uses to make the sensors is built by Nikon.
On the shelf parts are available for a 10.66 megapixel dSLR.

Nikon has developed 2 sensors in-house.

Sony has a 10 megapixel (ICX263AL) APS-C sized sensor in their inventory,
actually 10.66, but as in all dSLR some of the sensor is not used.

http://www.adelco.it/online/company/Sony/pdf/ICX263AL.p... This could be in
the Pentax *ist D replacement, and the Minolta 9D.

Dalsa has in their inventory the "True Frame" FTF4027C 11-Megapixel Color
CCD 24x36mm CCD.

http://www.dalsa.com/pi/products/productdetails.asp?Pro...

Dalsa makes the sensor in the Mamiya ZD
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 1:46:48 AM

I use Nikon....But...The Canon...350...looks good...The D-200 is way over
priced....

--
____________________________
PATRICK//////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\

"Nikon Shooter 001" <not@nomail.invalid> wrote in message

> Nikon will blow Canon away at PMA with a new DSLR using a soon-to-be-
> announced Sony 10.2 MP sensor.
>

> http://img184.exs.cx/img184/4734/d2009nx.jpg
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 9:55:23 AM

In article <1108871534.350655.104100@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
annika1980@aol.com says...
> It's too bad that unlike Canon, Nikon has to rely on Sony to make all
> their sensors.
> Probably why Nikon is always late to the party.

Well, almost everybody buys Sony sensors for their digicam market, Canon
included.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
Anonymous

"Brian C. Baird" <nospam@please.no> wrote in message
> In article <1108871534.350655.104100@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> annika1980@aol.com says...
>> It's too bad that unlike Canon, Nikon has to rely on Sony to make all
>> their sensors.
>> Probably why Nikon is always late to the party.
>
> Well, almost everybody buys Sony sensors for their digicam market, Canon
> included.

True, but that's never cutting edge, and therefore, not really at issue in the DSLR wars
between Canon and Nikon. Nikon seems to have all but given up on the point-and-shoot
digicam market that Canon is now dominating more and more.
Canon's ability to create it's own state of the art DSLR sensors at an astounding rate is
a real problem for Nikon.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 11:21:29 AM

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:03:13 -0500, "George" <nowhere@newsonly.com>
wrote:

>> It does to those who want to own the latest and greatest, even if they
>> can't learn how to make good pictures with it before having to replace
>> it with the next 'latest and greatest'. Grin.
>>

>> --
>> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
>
>You mean the "under 25" crowd? Gadget lust before they've gotten burned
>enough times to realize that they are paying double (they bear the brunt of
>the
>R&D and tooling costs) for 90 days bragging rights. But, it's OK by
>me...I'd
>rather have them squander THEIR money on covering the non-recurring
>engineering
>costs than me! <g>
>
>George

It's certainly not limited to the under 25 crowd!
A friend recently traded an 02 Durango for a new Magnum (with a
Hemi!). The dealer paid the note on the Durango, and in the ensuing
confusion, it *looked* like he got a good deal.
Why? Because the Magnum is red, and has a Hemi. And, of course, he got
the first Red Hemi Magnum in the Phoenix area.
But he has a 10D. Go figure!

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

"Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
news:o gah11lovmsi9ak4lomave8n6q65654fjb@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:03:13 -0500, "George" <nowhere@newsonly.com>
> wrote:
>
> >> It does to those who want to own the latest and greatest, even if they
> >> can't learn how to make good pictures with it before having to replace
> >> it with the next 'latest and greatest'. Grin.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
> >
> >You mean the "under 25" crowd? Gadget lust before they've gotten burned
> >enough times to realize that they are paying double (they bear the brunt
of
> >the
> >R&D and tooling costs) for 90 days bragging rights. But, it's OK by
> >me...I'd
> >rather have them squander THEIR money on covering the non-recurring
> >engineering
> >costs than me! <g>
> >
> >George
>
> It's certainly not limited to the under 25 crowd!
> A friend recently traded an 02 Durango for a new Magnum (with a
> Hemi!). The dealer paid the note on the Durango, and in the ensuing
> confusion, it *looked* like he got a good deal.
> Why? Because the Magnum is red, and has a Hemi. And, of course, he got
> the first Red Hemi Magnum in the Phoenix area.
> But he has a 10D. Go figure!
>
> --
> Bill Funk
> Change "g" to "a"

You are certainly right that "toy lust" isn't age limited. I just think it
is far more
common in younger people who just haven't EXPERIENCED paying a lot for
something to see it selling for next to nothing a very short time later. It
gets REAL
hard to replace EVERYTHING you own every 90 days! BTW, hasn't Canon
come out with at least 3 new dslr's since your friend got his 10D...he is
WAY
past time to upgrade! <g>

George
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 10:39:53 PM

George wrote:
> "Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
> news:o gah11lovmsi9ak4lomave8n6q65654fjb@4ax.com...

>>>You mean the "under 25" crowd? Gadget lust before they've gotten burned
>>>enough times to realize that they are paying double (they bear the brunt
>
> of
>
>>>the
>>>R&D and tooling costs) for 90 days bragging rights. But, it's OK by
>>>me...I'd
>>>rather have them squander THEIR money on covering the non-recurring
>>>engineering
>>>costs than me! <g>
>>>
>>>George
>>
>>It's certainly not limited to the under 25 crowd!
>>A friend recently traded an 02 Durango for a new Magnum (with a
>>Hemi!). The dealer paid the note on the Durango, and in the ensuing
>>confusion, it *looked* like he got a good deal.
>>Why? Because the Magnum is red, and has a Hemi. And, of course, he got
>>the first Red Hemi Magnum in the Phoenix area.
>>But he has a 10D. Go figure!
>>
>>--
>>Bill Funk
>>Change "g" to "a"
>

> You are certainly right that "toy lust" isn't age limited. I just think it
> is far more
> common in younger people who just haven't EXPERIENCED paying a lot for
> something to see it selling for next to nothing a very short time later. It
> gets REAL
> hard to replace EVERYTHING you own every 90 days! BTW, hasn't Canon
> come out with at least 3 new dslr's since your friend got his 10D...he is
> WAY
> past time to upgrade! <g>
>
> George

If a camera serves the need for which it was purchased, and serves it
well, and the needs of the user haven't changed, and the camera
continues to function as intended, then I see no need to get a new one.
Now if you just want to be the first on your block to have every new
gizmo, then I hope you have deep pockets.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 1:09:03 AM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:10:01 -0500, "George" <nowhere@newsonly.com>
wrote:

>You are certainly right that "toy lust" isn't age limited. I just think it
>is far more
>common in younger people who just haven't EXPERIENCED paying a lot for
>something to see it selling for next to nothing a very short time later. It
>gets REAL
>hard to replace EVERYTHING you own every 90 days! BTW, hasn't Canon
>come out with at least 3 new dslr's since your friend got his 10D...he is
>WAY
>past time to upgrade! <g>
>
>George

He drools when someone mentions the 20D.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

> George wrote:
> > "Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
> > news:o gah11lovmsi9ak4lomave8n6q65654fjb@4ax.com...

> > of

> >>It's certainly not limited to the under 25 crowd!
> >>A friend recently traded an 02 Durango for a new Magnum (with a
> >>Hemi!). The dealer paid the note on the Durango, and in the ensuing
> >>confusion, it *looked* like he got a good deal.
> >>Why? Because the Magnum is red, and has a Hemi. And, of course, he got
> >>the first Red Hemi Magnum in the Phoenix area.
> >>But he has a 10D. Go figure!
> >>
> >>--
> >>Bill Funk
> >>Change "g" to "a"
> >

> > You are certainly right that "toy lust" isn't age limited. I just think
it
> > is far more
> > common in younger people who just haven't EXPERIENCED paying a lot for
> > something to see it selling for next to nothing a very short time later.
It
> > gets REAL
> > hard to replace EVERYTHING you own every 90 days! BTW, hasn't Canon
> > come out with at least 3 new dslr's since your friend got his 10D...he
is
> > WAY
> > past time to upgrade! <g>
> >
> > George
> >

> If a camera serves the need for which it was purchased, and serves it
> well, and the needs of the user haven't changed, and the camera
> continues to function as intended, then I see no need to get a new one.
> Now if you just want to be the first on your block to have every new
> gizmo, then I hope you have deep pockets.

When you figure all the fuss is about 12.5% more pixels. All the fuss is
over a piece of equipment nobody will see until April 2005? All the fuss is
over a camera that Canon claims is the smallest and lightest, but is bigger
and heavier than the Pentax *ist DS. Canon marketing people are good, leak
the info out via a third-party website, and let others pay for the bandwagon
bandwidth. I would prefer to actaully see one and hold it before I spend my
money. But people have already asked to pre-pay before the camera is even
released.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 8:10:03 AM

Ron Hunter wrote:

> If a camera serves the need for which it was purchased, and serves it
> well, and the needs of the user haven't changed, and the camera
> continues to function as intended, then I see no need to get a new one.
> Now if you just want to be the first on your block to have every new
> gizmo, then I hope you have deep pockets.

Which wasn't the case with my Kodak 2MP DX3800 and 4MP Kodak DX6490. Hopefully
what you say will be true for my new Nikon D70.

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 7:50:13 PM

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 08:21:29 -0700, Big Bill <bill@pipping.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:03:13 -0500, "George" <nowhere@newsonly.com>
>wrote:
>
>>> It does to those who want to own the latest and greatest, even if they
>>> can't learn how to make good pictures with it before having to replace
>>> it with the next 'latest and greatest'. Grin.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
>>
>>You mean the "under 25" crowd? Gadget lust before they've gotten burned
>>enough times to realize that they are paying double (they bear the brunt of
>>the
>>R&D and tooling costs) for 90 days bragging rights. But, it's OK by
>>me...I'd
>>rather have them squander THEIR money on covering the non-recurring
>>engineering
>>costs than me! <g>
>>
>>George
>
>It's certainly not limited to the under 25 crowd!
>A friend recently traded an 02 Durango for a new Magnum (with a
>Hemi!). The dealer paid the note on the Durango, and in the ensuing
>confusion, it *looked* like he got a good deal.
>Why? Because the Magnum is red, and has a Hemi. And, of course, he got
>the first Red Hemi Magnum in the Phoenix area.
>But he has a 10D. Go figure!
>
>--
>Bill Funk

If it ain't the under 25 crowd, it must be somewhere in between there
and my crowd (79 and counting). I don't even recognize the Durango,
nor the Magnum nor the Hemi. But I do know the 10D.

Olin McDaniel
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 7:50:14 PM

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:50:13 GMT, omcdaniel.abcd@mindspring.com (Olin
K. McDaniel) wrote:

>If it ain't the under 25 crowd, it must be somewhere in between there
>and my crowd (79 and counting). I don't even recognize the Durango,
>nor the Magnum nor the Hemi. But I do know the 10D.
>
>Olin McDaniel

You must not watch much TV!
:-)

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

HeHeHeHeHe ...

It is obvious to even the most casual observer that Nikon is playing
"second fiddle" to Canon, and will continue in that position, because of
one critical factor:.

Canon has control over their own destiny (they make their own sensors),
while Nikon's destiny is controlled by their sensor vendor (currently Sony
.... but ...)

HeHeHeHeHe ...

"Nikon Shooter 001" <not@nomail.invalid> wrote in message

> Nikon will blow Canon away at PMA with a new DSLR using a soon-to-be-
> announced Sony 10.2 MP sensor.
>

> http://img184.exs.cx/img184/4734/d2009nx.jpg
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 9:30:25 PM

We are hung up on sensor size! Bullshit, I like Nikon-Seems like we don't
give a damn about the talent aspects...20MP...will not make you a good
photographer...In the right hands-4 mp...Can be extremely effective...

--
_________________-
BOCH
"RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
> HeHeHeHeHe ...
>
> It is obvious to even the most casual observer that Nikon is playing
> "second fiddle" to Canon, and will continue in that position, because of
> one critical factor:.
>
> Canon has control over their own destiny (they make their own sensors),
> while Nikon's destiny is controlled by their sensor vendor (currently Sony
> ... but ...)
>
> HeHeHeHeHe ...
>

> "Nikon Shooter 001" <not@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
>>

>> Nikon will blow Canon away at PMA with a new DSLR using a soon-to-be-
>> announced Sony 10.2 MP sensor.
>>

>> http://img184.exs.cx/img184/4734/d2009nx.jpg

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 9:30:26 PM

"Boch" <pboch@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> We are hung up on sensor size! Bullshit, I like Nikon-Seems like we don't give a damn
> about the talent aspects...20MP...will not make you a good photographer...In the right
> hands-4 mp...Can be extremely effective...

Not if you want really big prints...

> --
> _________________-
> BOCH
> ________________
> A+TECH
> _________
> "RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message news:JdKSd.42625$uc.33067@trnddc03...
>> HeHeHeHeHe ...
>>
>> It is obvious to even the most casual observer that Nikon is playing
>> "second fiddle" to Canon, and will continue in that position, because of
>> one critical factor:.
>>
>> Canon has control over their own destiny (they make their own sensors),
>> while Nikon's destiny is controlled by their sensor vendor (currently Sony
>> ... but ...)
>>
>> HeHeHeHeHe ...
>>

>> "Nikon Shooter 001" <not@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
>>>

>>> Nikon will blow Canon away at PMA with a new DSLR using a soon-to-be-
>>> announced Sony 10.2 MP sensor.
>>>

>>> http://img184.exs.cx/img184/4734/d2009nx.jpg

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 6:06:34 AM

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:59:27 -0700, Big Bill <bill@pipping.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:50:13 GMT, omcdaniel.abcd@mindspring.com (Olin
>K. McDaniel) wrote:
>
>>If it ain't the under 25 crowd, it must be somewhere in between there
>>and my crowd (79 and counting). I don't even recognize the Durango,
>>nor the Magnum nor the Hemi. But I do know the 10D.
>>
>>Olin McDaniel
>
>You must not watch much TV!
> :-)
>
>--
>Bill Funk
>Change "g" to "a"

That's correct. No more than the news and a couple of specials
occasionally. It's more BS than I care to endure.

Olin
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 6:06:35 AM

"Olin K. McDaniel" <omcdaniel.abcd@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:59:27 -0700, Big Bill <bill@pipping.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:50:13 GMT, omcdaniel.abcd@mindspring.com (Olin
>>K. McDaniel) wrote:
>>
>>>If it ain't the under 25 crowd, it must be somewhere in between there
>>>and my crowd (79 and counting). I don't even recognize the Durango,
>>>nor the Magnum nor the Hemi. But I do know the 10D.
>>>
>>>Olin McDaniel
>>
>>You must not watch much TV!
>> :-)
>>
>>--
>>Bill Funk
>>Change "g" to "a"
>

> That's correct. No more than the news and a couple of specials
> occasionally. It's more BS than I care to endure.
>
> Olin

Yes.
What's so special about a "Hemi" anyway??
Isn't it just a cute little name they dicided to give their more powerful engine line???
Big whoop...
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 8:45:56 AM

In article <E8dTd.117926$0u.18663@fed1read04>, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest
even number here)@cox..net> says...
> Yes.
> What's so special about a "Hemi" anyway??
> Isn't it just a cute little name they dicided to give their more powerful engine line???
> Big whoop...

Wasn't a hemi just another method of carburation? Don't we have fuel
injection for a reason?
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
February 24, 2005 8:45:57 AM

In article <E8dTd.117926$0u.18663@fed1read04>, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest
even number here)@cox..net> says...
> Yes.
> What's so special about a "Hemi" anyway??
> Isn't it just a cute little name they dicided to give their more powerful
engine line???
> Big whoop...

Wasn't a hemi just another method of carburation? Don't we have fuel
injection for a reason?

It means a Hemispherical cylinder head, the M47 Patton Tank engine was also
a hemi, and several motorcycles had hemi-heads. The Mopar (Chrysler) engines
ran pretty "dirty" in the 1970s passing as much unburnt gas out the tailpipe
as they burned.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 8:45:58 AM

"Darrell" <dev/null> wrote in message news:7tmdnT0XMtaP7IDfRVn-jQ@rogers.com...

> "Brian C. Baird" <nospam@please.no> wrote in message
> In article <E8dTd.117926$0u.18663@fed1read04>, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest
> even number here)@cox..net> says...
>> Yes.
>> What's so special about a "Hemi" anyway??
>> Isn't it just a cute little name they dicided to give their more powerful
> engine line???
>> Big whoop...
>
> Wasn't a hemi just another method of carburation? Don't we have fuel
> injection for a reason?
>
> It means a Hemispherical cylinder head, the M47 Patton Tank engine was also
> a hemi, and several motorcycles had hemi-heads. The Mopar (Chrysler) engines
> ran pretty "dirty" in the 1970s passing as much unburnt gas out the tailpipe
> as they burned.

What is special about this in terms of performance...in proportion to all the commercial
hype about it? Not a cynical question, but a real question...
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 8:47:24 AM

> "Darrell" <dev/null> wrote in message
>>
>> "Brian C. Baird" <nospam@please.no> wrote in message
>> In article <E8dTd.117926$0u.18663@fed1read04>, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest
>> even number here)@cox..net> says...
>>> Yes.
>>> What's so special about a "Hemi" anyway??
>>> Isn't it just a cute little name they dicided to give their more
>>> powerful
>> engine line???
>>> Big whoop...
>>
>> Wasn't a hemi just another method of carburation? Don't we have fuel
>> injection for a reason?
>>
>> It means a Hemispherical cylinder head, the M47 Patton Tank engine was
>> also
>> a hemi, and several motorcycles had hemi-heads. The Mopar (Chrysler)
>> engines
>> ran pretty "dirty" in the 1970s passing as much unburnt gas out the
>> tailpipe
>> as they burned.
>
> What is special about this in terms of performance...in proportion to all
> the commercial hype about it? Not a cynical question, but a real
> question...

A hemispherical combustion chamber gives a swirling movement to the fuel air
mixture leading to improved combustion. Also, because of its domed shape,
as opposed to the standard wedge shape of most overhead valve engines, it
allows for more optimal placement of valves and spark plug. While
Chrysler/Mopar was the leading proponent of this design, building "Hemis"
from the mid '50s in the original Chrysler 300, both Ford and Chevrolet had
engines employing chamber designs that were nearly hemispherical, the "Blue
Crescent" Ford 429 and the famous Chevy big block, which was called, in its
early days, a "porcupine" head, because of the apparently random placement
of its valve stems. The modern "Hemi" isn't really a hemispherical head, it
is actually what's called a "pentroof" design, the chamber is flat on the
sides, like a house roof. All of the overhead cam, 4 valve head designs
follow this design, but the Chrysler Corp design is the only one that uses
pushrods, mainly to keep weight and bulk down.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

> "Darrell" <dev/null> wrote in message
>>
>> "Brian C. Baird" <nospam@please.no> wrote in message
>> In article <E8dTd.117926$0u.18663@fed1read04>, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest
>> even number here)@cox..net> says...
>>> Yes.
>>> What's so special about a "Hemi" anyway??
>>> Isn't it just a cute little name they dicided to give their more
>>> powerful
>> engine line???
>>> Big whoop...
>>
>> Wasn't a hemi just another method of carburation? Don't we have fuel
>> injection for a reason?
>>
>> It means a Hemispherical cylinder head, the M47 Patton Tank engine was
>> also
>> a hemi, and several motorcycles had hemi-heads. The Mopar (Chrysler)
>> engines
>> ran pretty "dirty" in the 1970s passing as much unburnt gas out the
>> tailpipe
>> as they burned.
>
> What is special about this in terms of performance...in proportion to all
> the commercial hype about it? Not a cynical question, but a real
> question...

In terms of performance, it's a real screamer. The Hemi in my 300C puts out
340 horsepower and can outrun a Mustang GT in a 1/4 mile race - all while
keeping me in luxury and enjoying the quietest interior noise in it's class.
It also gets better mileage than my minivan does.
February 24, 2005 11:34:51 AM

> "Darrell" <dev/null> wrote in message
> >
> > "Brian C. Baird" <nospam@please.no> wrote in message
> > In article <E8dTd.117926$0u.18663@fed1read04>, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest
> > even number here)@cox..net> says...
> >> Yes.
> >> What's so special about a "Hemi" anyway??
> >> Isn't it just a cute little name they dicided to give their more
powerful
> > engine line???
> >> Big whoop...
> >
> > Wasn't a hemi just another method of carburation? Don't we have fuel
> > injection for a reason?
> >
> > It means a Hemispherical cylinder head, the M47 Patton Tank engine was
also
> > a hemi, and several motorcycles had hemi-heads. The Mopar (Chrysler)
engines
> > ran pretty "dirty" in the 1970s passing as much unburnt gas out the
tailpipe
> > as they burned.
>
> What is special about this in terms of performance...in proportion to all
the commercial
> hype about it? Not a cynical question, but a real question...

I don't think there was much in the head design, more to do with the
compression ratio. I can recall much details, but I believe the hemi had
higher compression ratios, that would give the same displacement engine more
performance. I was more about size, the Mopar hemis were 426 cu.in and 440
cu.in. GM had their non-hemi 445 cu.in as did other makers all were high
compression. So modern mythology is part of it.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 12:00:59 PM

Ron Hunter wrote:
> George wrote:
>
>> "Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
>> news:o gah11lovmsi9ak4lomave8n6q65654fjb@4ax.com...

>> of

>>> It's certainly not limited to the under 25 crowd!
>>> A friend recently traded an 02 Durango for a new Magnum (with a
>>> Hemi!). The dealer paid the note on the Durango, and in the ensuing
>>> confusion, it *looked* like he got a good deal.
>>> Why? Because the Magnum is red, and has a Hemi. And, of course, he got
>>> the first Red Hemi Magnum in the Phoenix area.
>>> But he has a 10D. Go figure!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bill Funk
>>> Change "g" to "a"
>>

>> You are certainly right that "toy lust" isn't age limited. I just
>> think it
>> is far more
>> common in younger people who just haven't EXPERIENCED paying a lot for
>> something to see it selling for next to nothing a very short time
>> later. It
>> gets REAL
>> hard to replace EVERYTHING you own every 90 days! BTW, hasn't Canon
>> come out with at least 3 new dslr's since your friend got his 10D...he is
>> WAY
>> past time to upgrade! <g>
>>
>> George
>>

> If a camera serves the need for which it was purchased, and serves it
> well, and the needs of the user haven't changed, and the camera
> continues to function as intended, then I see no need to get a new one.
> Now if you just want to be the first on your block to have every new
> gizmo, then I hope you have deep pockets.

Hi Ron, I tend to agree with you on this point. While I was at college
in '81 I bought my 1st SLR, a Nikon EM, and thereafter a brace of
lenses. At that point I stopped buying hardware and spent the money on
paper and chemicals and petrol to drive around. If it wasn't for digital
I would STILL be using the EM as it did everything I wanted. About 10
years ago I bought one of the 1st Kodak digital cameras, a DC40,
atrocious resolution but a new technology for the consumer then. Only
used it for work for recording building processes etc. Then I bought a
Minolta Dimage F100 which I loved and still carry around 24/7. THEN
....... last year I bought a D70, which puts me back into the position I
was in, in '81 with the EM. The D70 is fast, sharp, easy to use and does
everything I need. My prints are mainly A5 size ( 150mm X 210mm ) and
they are pin sharp & vibrant. As long as there are batteries and CF
cards are available I'll be keeping it. My EM lasted me 25 years ( still
going strong !) and the D70 will hopefully do the same ...... by then
I'll be 75 and doing close up work anyway ;-)
I can only smile at the folk who keep chasing the latest gadget and
pouring money into a never ending upgrade path. My challenge now is to
master the D70 and realise it's full potential. In South Africa that
kind of equipment is a major investment for a hobby, so financuially I'm
pinned down on that point as well.

Nope, I'm a happy puppy with the D70 ... probably my last camera
purchase for the next 30 years. Cheers ...
Bernard
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 1:53:59 PM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 05:47:24 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net>
wrote:

>A hemispherical combustion chamber gives a swirling movement to the fuel air
>mixture leading to improved combustion. Also, because of its domed shape,
>as opposed to the standard wedge shape of most overhead valve engines, it
>allows for more optimal placement of valves and spark plug. While
>Chrysler/Mopar was the leading proponent of this design, building "Hemis"
>from the mid '50s in the original Chrysler 300, both Ford and Chevrolet had
>engines employing chamber designs that were nearly hemispherical, the "Blue
>Crescent" Ford 429 and the famous Chevy big block, which was called, in its
>early days, a "porcupine" head, because of the apparently random placement
>of its valve stems. The modern "Hemi" isn't really a hemispherical head, it
>is actually what's called a "pentroof" design, the chamber is flat on the
>sides, like a house roof. All of the overhead cam, 4 valve head designs
>follow this design, but the Chrysler Corp design is the only one that uses
>pushrods, mainly to keep weight and bulk down.

Skip has this pretty right.

As an aside, hemi engines were used before Chrysler used them. During
WWII, a V-16 Hemi aircraft engine was produced.
--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"