• Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 13, 2011 4:02:40 AM

What would you get and why? Single/SLI?

GTX 570
GTX 580
GTX 590

Im curious as im trying to decide for my build but main concern is the memory. As game developers will most likely utilise tesselation more in future releases, im worried the gtx 570 may struggle for max graphics in a year or so.

Will overclock CPU, GPU and RAM (will get an ax1200 if i decide on a 580/590, want to SLI in future)

Resolution would be 1920x1080

(If it helps here is my build i have in mind)

Coolermaster HAF X

Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67

Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz

Corsair Hydro H70

G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5 (SLI later)

Corsair AX850

Intel X25-M 80GB SSD - SATA-II 2.5"

Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB (x2 in RAID 0)

Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP Blu-ray

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Benq XL2410T 24" 1920x1080 TRUE 120Hz

So with my build in mind, and you were in my position, what would you do? (I am a keen gamer and will be doing video/3D editing, photoshop etc aswell

Thanks

More about : nvidia gtx 5xx advice

a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 4:15:19 AM

Unless some company comes out with a radical new game engine that requires ultra-extreme GPU horsepower, GTX 570 will be more than enough for a couple of years. When it's not, there's always SLI.

Also, don't bother overclocking the RAM. Run it at rated specs. Performance gains aren't worth the potential damage, and you may cause instability in the CPU overclock.
a c 82 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 4:33:02 AM

ram is the easiest thing to fry, alot of people have made the error of over volting there ramming and killing it, that gpu is just fine, ud better to have a tesla card+ a gpu when the time comes u need it, 1 for specific things, like 1 for graphics in gaming and 1 for tesla computing, but ur set for a while imho
Related resources
a c 147 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 4:40:20 AM

^ why normal consumer going to buy tesla?
a c 82 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 4:54:56 AM

hmm, if games are program for tesla? i dont see that its gonna happen anythime soon, but it could be interesting if they did implament it in games
February 13, 2011 5:01:19 AM

Very nice build you got there.
No matter how good your build is at this moment in time, intel, AMD and Nvidia are always going to come up with a new, more powerful lineup.
This is just a personal opinion, but instead of building a top-notch build now, why don't you go for a less-awesome GPU for now? That way you can afford to do an entirely new GPU upgrade in a year's time should you wish to do so.
Game requirement-wise, since most graphic demanding games these days are ported from consoles, (points to Crysis 2) I doubt that you would need a 570 even at hi-res.
a c 147 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 5:04:01 AM

for that thing the compute performance of geforce cards are sufficient. there is no way game dev going to code their game to work with Tesla. Tesla is for HPC. they harness the gpu performance to speed up the calculation for super computer
a c 82 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 5:13:39 AM

ya well, the tesla could help to take the load off the cpu when gaming, u never know
a c 147 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 7:03:52 AM

lol a gamer will not want to put tesla in their rig :p . not only the cost are thousands of dollar for a card the drivers also not made to work with games.
a c 82 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 7:38:34 AM

i understand that, but if the prices went down, and it help bridge the gap between the cpu and the gpu, as u know the cpu cant really follow the gpus fully, so to fill the gap so theres no bottlekneck a mini tesla card could be interesting if they can make it work in that fashion
February 13, 2011 9:14:56 AM

iceclock said:
i understand that, but if the prices went down, and it help bridge the gap between the cpu and the gpu, as u know the cpu cant really follow the gpus fully, so to fill the gap so theres no bottlekneck a mini tesla card could be interesting if they can make it work in that fashion

You have no idea what you're talking about.
February 13, 2011 9:24:21 AM

I hear what you guys are saying...

About the ram overclocking, I'll probably only do a light overclock on them, depends, dunno what effects the render times etc, timings or MHz?? Bit confused on that one.

But back to the GPUs... I don't see a point in getting a cheap card for now to replace it later... Evga have the step up program so that will help if I need an upgrade...

I'm thinking bout getting a single GTX 580, then will see how long it lasts before I either feel I need to SLI or depending on what the new generations are like.

From what I worked out, a single Evga GTX 580 + corsair ax1200 with the rest of my build would be £50 cheaper than SLI Evga GTX 570 + ax850...

Hmm decisions, decisions, decisions...
a c 147 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 10:02:31 AM

LOL. 1.2k PSU just for a GTX580? i think even 1k psu should do the job for SLI GTX580 (both cpu and gpu overclocked)
February 13, 2011 11:43:49 AM

I know 1200w is overkill but if I wanted to SLI and be able to overclock too people have recommended it. Also if it proves to be overkill, I can keep it for my next build whenever that is xD
February 13, 2011 1:19:18 PM

570 at minimum, heavily considering single Evga GTX 580 now, then SLI later when prices drop off, not sure how price trends go in regards to new releases and older gens becoming cheaper though...
February 13, 2011 6:33:33 PM

If you say that the OC version is cheaper than the SOC, and you can manually OC the OC version to get more juice.

milkym0o, consider the chart here,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/2010-gaming-graphi...

A top notch sngle GPU back in 2009, GTX 285, beaten by GTX 460, the next generation mid/high-range GPU in 2010.

With regards to price dropping, the high-end market does not drop prices (In the 1st hand market).
Consider amazon. I think you'll see that a gtx 285 or 280, the price is still expensive despite their relative performance against other GPUs. This is because supply is limited (by stopped manufacturing process) yet there is demand for them by people who purchased a high-end card in the hope that prices will drop and SLI later back in 2009-2010 and coming back to buy another 280 or 285.
I'd say that the same theory will apply to 570 and 580, so don't think of doing SLI later. Do it when you buy the rig. Otherwise buy a mid-range SLI configuration now and do another mid-range SLI configuration when a new product range comes out. That'll still be cheaper and probably will have the same performance as going a single 580 now and SLI later when prices (though highly unlikely) drops.

a c 273 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 7:13:46 PM

may1 said:
If you say that the OC version is cheaper than the SOC, and you can manually OC the OC version to get more juice.

milkym0o, consider the chart here,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/2010-gaming-graphi...

A top notch sngle GPU back in 2009, GTX 285, beaten by GTX 460, the next generation mid/high-range GPU in 2010.

With regards to price dropping, the high-end market does not drop prices (In the 1st hand market).
Consider amazon. I think you'll see that a gtx 285 or 280, the price is still expensive despite their relative performance against other GPUs. This is because supply is limited (by stopped manufacturing process) yet there is demand for them by people who purchased a high-end card in the hope that prices will drop and SLI later back in 2009-2010 and coming back to buy another 280 or 285.
I'd say that the same theory will apply to 570 and 580, so don't think of doing SLI later. Do it when you buy the rig. Otherwise buy a mid-range SLI configuration now and do another mid-range SLI configuration when a new product range comes out. That'll still be cheaper and probably will have the same performance as going a single 580 now and SLI later when prices (though highly unlikely) drops.

I knew there had to be someone else on planet Earth who had the same approach to dual/multi GPU rigs as I do. :lol: 
a c 82 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 7:17:22 PM

ur fine with ur gtx 570, add another when when u feel u need more fps, and performance but for the moment standing 1 is great, my idea on a budget tesla card, would be interesting if it could be utilise to cut cpu usage by a certain degree, im not saying its possible today, but the idea is nice
February 14, 2011 10:15:03 AM

Mousemonkey said:
I knew there had to be someone else on planet Earth who had the same approach to dual/multi GPU rigs as I do. :lol: 

It must be the spectacles that makes one a logical investor in gaming machines. ;) 
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 14, 2011 10:17:39 AM

may1 said:
It must be the spectacles that makes one a logical investor in gaming machines. ;) 

:lol:  That theory may just get blown away when I finally decide which 560's to get!
February 14, 2011 1:00:35 PM

Mousemonkey said:
:lol:  That theory may just get blown away when I finally decide which 560's to get!

Well I just installed a 560 today. Absolutely mind-blowing product :sol:  able to run BFBC2, Black ops and all the other FPS with full AA and all that good stuff, and still beat the frame rates on my old 4890!

Does that make you and I even more similar in preferences or what? lol
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 14, 2011 1:07:09 PM

may1 said:
Well I just installed a 560 today. Absolutely mind-blowing product :sol:  able to run BFBC2, Black ops and all the other FPS with full AA and all that good stuff, and still beat the frame rates on my old 4890!

Does that make you and I even more similar in preferences or what? lol

Perhaps so, I intend to get two of them though and see whether they will run in SLi on a 680i chipset with an E8400 CPU. As I have experienced a true "bottleneck" situation before I know what to look for but I'm wondering whether I'll see it or not.
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 14, 2011 1:18:37 PM

Quote:
580 or a pair of 560's. The 570 is having some major issues blowing up when overclocked.

Don't OC it then! :lol: 
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 14, 2011 1:46:09 PM

Quote:
Whats the point in buying a video card then? :lol: 

To put an image on the screen, play games, watch movies etc. Not everyone OC's you know and for some a standard card is all they want and all they will ever need.
a c 147 U Graphics card
February 14, 2011 3:16:28 PM

Mousemonkey said:
To put an image on the screen, play games, watch movies etc. Not everyone OC's you know and for some a standard card is all they want and all they will ever need.

that's why some people said: i don't want to OC the since i'm afraid to break it. so i'm going to take the pre-overclock card even it will cost me some more :lol: 
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 14, 2011 3:32:48 PM

renz496 said:
that's why some people said: i don't want to OC the since i'm afraid to break it. so i'm going to take the pre-overclock card even it will cost me some more :lol: 

True but some of the OC 560's I've been looking at are cheaper than some of the reference clocked cards! :??:  Although as far as this thread is concerned though, the OP did state that they wish to OC the CPU, GPU and RAM.
a c 147 U Graphics card
February 14, 2011 3:46:16 PM

i'm aware with that. maybe 560 got really tight position because of 6870 OC and 6950 (1GB and 2GB ver). just like this one :)  :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

pre-overclocked with some nice after market cooler but the price is the same as the reference. i know for sure i'm going to pick this one if i'm in the market for GTX560 :na: 
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 14, 2011 4:03:29 PM

renz496 said:
i'm aware with that. maybe 560 got really tight position because of 6870 OC and 6950 (1GB and 2GB ver). just like this one :)  :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

pre-overclocked with some nice after market cooler but the price is the same as the reference. i know for sure i'm going to pick this one if i'm in the market for GTX560 :na: 

I've had my eye on this one.
!