Sign in with
Your question

High CPU Temps..

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 19, 2011 8:45:42 PM

Hi, I put together a rig, but I haven't been able to get the CPU temps down!! I apply NT-h1 (default paste, which I hear is very good paste) by the pea method and then simply seating the massive cooler down and screwing it in as much as possible. I have re-installed this cooler at least 10 times trying to get my temps down but to no avail. my I7 950 temps IDLE: 35c through 50c (little to no load) | LOAD: I haven't tested thoroughly yet.. I am using the fans that came with the cooler and the HAF-X case fan as the exhaust. I am using stock voltages and settings. My RAM is running at 1333mhz. This issue is kinda pissing me off because I want to experiment with Overclocking and hit the big ol' 4.0ghz or higher with amazing temps. My cable management is pretty much pristine with everything being routed through the back of the case. I am using a fan controller with all of the case fans at 100% all the time. Ambient temps around 80F (middle of summer in Oklahoma). I am using REAL-TEMP. Any help would be appreciated! thanks!

Specs:
--------

CPU: i7 950 (stock)
HSF: Noctua NH-D14 (stock fans and paste)
Case: Cooler Master HAF-X
GPU: GTX 580
Motherboard: Asus Rampage 3 Formula
RAM: Corsair 4gb (2x 2gb) 1600mhz RAM CAS: 7-8-7-20 (will be adding 1 more module after it gets back from corsair)
PSU: Zalaman 1000w
HDD: Hitachie 7200rpm 500gb
SSD: Plextor 120gb

More about : high cpu temps

a c 159 à CPUs
July 19, 2011 9:23:18 PM

Your mad at those temps? You shouldn't be; those cpus run warm; never in the 30's, rarely in the 40's; more often around 60c loaded. You're good to go. And yes, it is warmer in oklahoma. I used to live in tulsa, and am now near austin.
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2011 9:50:14 PM

Info for comparison:

i7-920 OCed to 3.82 GHz - Idle temps. 37 degrees C - Ambient 29 degrees C

(Outdoor 92 degrees F - Chicago Lake Michigan beaches closed due to Fog all day).
Tomorrow upper 90s - :) 
Related resources
a c 159 à CPUs
July 19, 2011 11:09:33 PM

You must be livin right. I've never had temps for the i7 that low.
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2011 11:15:22 PM

o1die said:
You must be livin right. I've never had temps for the i7 that low.

I polished (erroneously referred to as 'lapping') the base of my heatsink flatter and this resulted in a 5 to 7 degrees C drop in temps. (I recorded the before and after temps under identical conditions).

On a different computer, again heatsink polished, in an unheated bedroom, the idle temps were 4 to 6 degrees C (I was freezing too!) :) 
a c 159 à CPUs
July 19, 2011 11:22:31 PM

Lapping is good, but it voids the three year warranty with Intel. Just a heads up for the man from a former okie.
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2011 11:34:40 PM

o1die said:
Lapping is good, but it voids the three year warranty with Intel. Just a heads up for the man from a former okie.

Yes, I agree that polishing the CPU heat spreader a little bit, just to knock off the high spots at the corners will help the heat transfer. And I also understand about the warranties. Regardless, I do what makes sound engineering sense to me, and based on my technical experience, irrespective of manufacturer's recommendations. I don't ignore recommendations; I use them as a guide.
July 20, 2011 7:58:42 PM

Thanks for all your comments i'll try OC-ing it at some point and see how it goes temp wise.
July 20, 2011 8:14:12 PM

Your temps are not unreasonable. However have you tried leaving your pc on for a bit with an app such as prime 95 for 6 hours or overnight (no set deadline).

This will give the aftermarket thermal paste time to cure and completely fill all of the voids in between the heatsink and CPU. Feel free to do some more research on thermal paste curing time, you didn't specify what you are using so I can't comment.

Based on my experience on previous builds, you can see a 10d C difference in temps just by giving it a bit of time to cure. I would also suggest ensuring the heatsink is completely secured, but seeing as how you've taken it off and on 10 times or so... I'm sure you have checked that.
June 24, 2012 9:41:39 PM

Sorry to bump this old thread but i need help with my cpu temp's, Realtemp shows it idling around 40-45 degrees and going upto and sometimes past 90 degrees no matter what i overclock it to :S I know i've put the heatsink on correctly with a decent thermal paste applied properly and stress tests are always fine but it's real worrying that realtemp will show 90 degrees and asus probe shows 60-65 TOPS. That being said people say ignore the asus temps and listen to realtemps coretemps.

i5 2500k currently at 3.8ghz 1.2v
gtx 560ti 1gb
2x4gb corsair vengeance ram 1600mhz
750w cooler master psu
freezer pro 7 rev 2 cpu cooler with 1 intake fan and case open

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated :) 
June 24, 2012 10:42:43 PM

cg1351 said:
Sorry to bump this old thread but i need help with my cpu temp's, Realtemp shows it idling around 40-45 degrees and going upto and sometimes past 90 degrees no matter what i overclock it to :S I know i've put the heatsink on correctly with a decent thermal paste applied properly and stress tests are always fine but it's real worrying that realtemp will show 90 degrees and asus probe shows 60-65 TOPS. That being said people say ignore the asus temps and listen to realtemps coretemps.

i5 2500k currently at 3.8ghz 1.2v
gtx 560ti 1gb
2x4gb corsair vengeance ram 1600mhz
750w cooler master psu
freezer pro 7 rev 2 cpu cooler with 1 intake fan and case open

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated :) 

Try using Arctic cooling MX-4 thermal paste (currently one of the best pastes out at the moment). I would also change the heatsink to a Noctua NH-D14 if you want to keep with the air cooling system or you could get the Corsair H100 water cooling system. Cheap heatsinks will usually give use cheap results i would not overclock on these types of heatsinks as they are too small to dissipate the heat.

I have near enough the same build apart from a few things for one i use the MX-4 thermal pate with the Corsair H100 overclocked at 4.5 ghz with 1.3v and on idle RealTemp shows that on idle it is between 28-32 degrees and with prime95 running for 4 hours it reaches a maximum of 60 degrees
June 24, 2012 10:51:06 PM

Thanks for the reply and i'm already using artic silver 5 thermal paste and the freezer pro 7 is anything but small mate lol barely fits in the pc :)  I'm starting to think realtemp is just wrong i mean stress tests are all fine etc i can game and stream for hours on end but during stress tests it jumps straight to 90 degrees and dont come back down.
June 24, 2012 11:07:05 PM

you could try reinstalling realtemp from a different download or you can try core temp both should give you same results. Also your heatsink only has 3 heap pipes with a small 92mm fan compared to other heatsinks yours is counted as a small one but obviously if that hardly fits in your case dont get the Noctua that i recommended because that is HUGE lol
!