Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dell Studio 540 Graphics upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 13, 2011 8:25:03 AM

i am upgrading my psu in my dell to either 500w antec or a 600w corsair so that i can upgrade my graphics card. i was wondering if you guys had some suggestions on what kind of graphics card i should up grade to? thank you for your time and plz let me know if u have an questions
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 8:59:48 AM

karl1234 said:
i am upgrading my psu in my dell to either 500w antec or a 600w corsair so that i can upgrade my graphics card. i was wondering if you guys had some suggestions on what kind of graphics card i should up grade to? thank you for your time and plz let me know if u have an questions

Can you give us an idea of what we are dealing with here hardware wise.
A list of components and your monitors resolution along with what games you are playing ?
Also a link to the PC itself so we can see what size case it is. Sometimes you are limited as to the size of the card because of the case. My Son in law has a Dell full size case but internally there is a huge plastic block that means only very short GPU's will fit.

Edit Dell PSU's are generally pretty good so if you have yet to order hold of untill we are sure the rest of the spec needs a better PSU.

Mactronix :) 
a c 499 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 5:52:07 PM

With the Dell Studio 540 Mini-Tower Case the possible obstruction that you may encounter is if you have a hard disk drive mounted in the position that is aligned with the PCI Express and PCI expansion slots. If you only have one hard disk drive that obstacle can be solved by moving the hard disk drive to the position next to it (i.e. aligned with the memory slots).

The PCI Express 2.0 (x16) slot should be able handle any current PCI Express graphics card suggested depending on its power requirements.

Please specify your budget for the PSU and Graphics Card upgrade and the primary uses for the computer.
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 5:59:41 PM

I agree with Mactronix,hold off on buying the PSU until we can be sure that you will need the upgrade.

What types of games are you playing and what resoultion is your monitor?
February 13, 2011 8:38:56 PM

mactronix said:
Can you give us an idea of what we are dealing with here hardware wise.
A list of components and your monitors resolution along with what games you are playing ?
Also a link to the PC itself so we can see what size case it is. Sometimes you are limited as to the size of the card because of the case. My Son in law has a Dell full size case but internally there is a huge plastic block that means only very short GPU's will fit.

Edit Dell PSU's are generally pretty good so if you have yet to order hold of untill we are sure the rest of the spec needs a better PSU.

Thanks for all the replys guys :)  any ways here is a link to the case i have http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?c=220&s=1519&ID=....

and as of now the hardware i have is
- 8gb drr2 ram
- i think i have a 600gb hard drive
- Ati Radeon HD 3450 which was stock probly like 2 years old..
- 350 watt psu
- vist 64 bit

here are the ratings for my computer

processor 5.9
ram 5.6
graphics 4.0
gaming graphics 4.1
hard disk 5.9

i am not sure what graphics card i want to put in but ive been looking at this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PNY+-+NVIDIA+GeForce+9800+G...

and the two psu's im trying to decide on are

http://www.corsair.com/gs600w.html?___store=es&___from_...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

the game im interested in playing is WoW mostly.
and i think my max resolution is 1280x1024 im running two dell 1704FPV's for my monitors

thanks for the reply and let me know what u think :) 

February 13, 2011 8:45:04 PM

ko888 said:
With the Dell Studio 540 Mini-Tower Case the possible obstruction that you may encounter is if you have a hard disk drive mounted in the position that is aligned with the PCI Express and PCI expansion slots. If you only have one hard disk drive that obstacle can be solved by moving the hard disk drive to the position next to it (i.e. aligned with the memory slots).

The PCI Express 2.0 (x16) slot should be able handle any current PCI Express graphics card suggested depending on its power requirements.

Please specify your budget for the PSU and Graphics Card upgrade and the primary uses for the computer.

thanks for the reply :)  any ways the amount im looking at spending is around 250-300$ for both the psu and graphics card. im thinking i want spend like 100$ on my psu and like 150-200$ on my graphics card.
and i only have one hard drive in my case so i think i have enof space for a decent sized card.
a c 214 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 8:57:36 PM

At that resoultion you could get a 5670 and max out graphics in WoW.5670 is newer and more updated than the 9800gt.And it is faster.Since the 5670 only cost $100 i would put your money twards a new monitor.You will not have to upgrade your PSU for a 5670.

Asus 5670 $100=$80 after MIR + Free Shipping.

5670 is much faster than the 9800gt and much less power hungry.And you do not have to upgrade your power supply.
a c 214 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 8:59:06 PM

Do you know what version your PCI-Express x16 lane is?
1.0/1.1/2.0?

Best solution

a c 130 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 9:03:01 PM

This is a link to a 5750 which if you look totally hammers the card you were looking at. I dont know what the price differance is, I would guess $20-$30 but you would need to check. Importantly the card wouldnt need a new PSU.

Mactronix :)  Helps if i put the link in dosent it http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_5750/
February 13, 2011 9:04:55 PM

purple stank said:
1.0/1.1/2.0?

hmm im not sure what version it is how do i check that? and also i was hoping i could find a graphics card that had a fan blowing out the back of my case. so that i can keep my case cooler. or does that not matter? srry lol im kind new to this but thanks for your replys there very help full =)
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 9:08:56 PM

karl1234 said:
hmm im not sure what version it is how do i check that? and also i was hoping i could find a graphics card that had a fan blowing out the back of my case. so that i can keep my case cooler. or does that not matter? srry lol im kind new to this but thanks for your replys there very help full =)

I wouldnt worry about the card venting out of the back. if you find one that does nice but we are not talking hot high end cards here the cards linked to wouldnt run hot enough for it to be an issue.

a c 214 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 9:10:28 PM

^Agree.
The cards this low on the todem pole are very power conservative.My 5570 i used to own never got above 50c.And that was with a max O.C.
February 13, 2011 9:11:56 PM

mactronix said:
This is a link to a 5750 which if you look totally hammers the card you were looking at. I dont know what the price differance is, I would guess $20-$30 but you would need to check. Importantly the card wouldnt need a new PSU.

Mactronix :)  Helps if i put the link in dosent it http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_5750/

lol ya i was like what link?!?!? anyways i looked it up on newegg and found this

are they the same? and i cant find were it says what amount of watts i need.
February 13, 2011 9:17:05 PM

mactronix said:
I wouldnt worry about the card venting out of the back. if you find one that does nice but we are not talking hot high end cards here the cards linked to wouldnt run hot enough for it to be an issue.

ok i understand. thanks =) so if i get this card

i wouldnt need to upgrade my psu?
February 13, 2011 9:19:55 PM

purple stank said:
If it matters that much here is a exhaust version.

ok thanks ill check it out. =) although im starting to relize that i wont need a card that has that unless i start looking at higher grade cards. thanks to u guys =)
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 9:26:09 PM

karl1234 said:
lol ya i was like what link?!?!? anyways i looked it up on newegg and found this

are they the same? and i cant find were it says what amount of watts i need.

Yea same thing that cooler is very good bty the way. I really like His IceQ cards like purple stank has linked to but i would take the vapour X card in preferance.
When you go looking for power requirements they always overstate to give thenselves a margin. The card needs 85-90Watts. The card can draw 75 from the PCIE slot so it only just needs the PCIE power cable. Do you actually have a PCIE cable on the PSU ? If you do then it can run the card no worries. If not it would still run it using a 2 x Molex to PCIE converter cable. If you look under Packaging and Contents in the review I (eventually) linked to you, the cable is in the picture across the middle of the pic.
If you dont have the PCIE cable and dont fancy or cant use the converter then its a 5670 instead.

a c 130 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 9:28:58 PM

Bottom line is it will run the 5750 no worries people have run the 9800gt you linked to on those 350 Dell PSU's before and they take way more power than a 5750. Just be sure you have the PCIE cable or if not 2 free Molex connectors and a cable in your bundle when you buy the card.

February 13, 2011 9:34:20 PM

mactronix said:
Yea same thing that cooler is very good bty the way. I really like His IceQ cards like purple stank has linked to but i would take the vapour X card in preferance.
When you go looking for power requirements they always overstate to give thenselves a margin. The card needs 85-90Watts. The card can draw 75 from the PCIE slot so it only just needs the PCIE power cable. Do you actually have a PCIE cable on the PSU ? If you do then it can run the card no worries. If not it would still run it using a 2 x Molex to PCIE converter cable. If you look under Packaging and Contents in the review I (eventually) linked to you, the cable is in the picture across the middle of the pic.
If you dont have the PCIE cable and dont fancy or cant use the converter then its a 5670 instead.

i think i have a PCIE cable on my psu there 6pins right i think there on floating around in my case. what do u think of this card?
http://www.frys.com/product/6141779?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 9:38:40 PM

karl1234 said:
i think i have a PCIE cable on my psu there 6pins right i think there on floating around in my case. what do u think of this card?
http://www.frys.com/product/6141779?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...

Yes 6 pins on the cable. I would rather the Vapor X card from Saphire or the His to be honest. Nothing in particular just what I have used and know.
In order and reasons i would put the cards
Vapor X
His
Asus
I dont like/trust rebates either.

February 13, 2011 9:44:14 PM

mactronix said:
Yes 6 pins on the cable. I would rather the Vapor X card from Saphire or the His to be honest. Nothing in particular just what I have used and know.
In order and reasons i would put the cards
Vapor X
His
Asus
I dont like/trust rebates either.

ok thank you. what do u think this card is worth the money

http://www.frys.com/product/6065198?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...

and how is it different from this one?

http://www.frys.com/product/6074158?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...
a c 214 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 9:57:05 PM

Since you can't see either of those 2 cards i can't tell you which one you should get.But all of the 5750's are the same speed so it really makes no difference.I would have to agree the Vapor X is a very reliable and popular card.

I personally don't like HIS cards because they are always priced cheaper than any other card and i've seen some bad reviews everytime i look.Rais's suspision when they are always the cheapest priced cards.

The cards at frys are way overpriced.I would suggest buying from newegg.
February 13, 2011 10:05:32 PM

purple stank said:
Since you can't see either of those 2 cards i can't tell you which one you should get.But all of the 5750's are the same speed so it really makes no difference.I would have to agree the Vapor X is a very reliable and popular card.

I personally don't like HIS cards because they are always priced cheaper than any other card and i've seen some bad reviews everytime i look.Rais's suspision when they are always the cheapest priced cards.

The cards at frys are way overpriced.I would suggest buying from newegg.

lol thats funny. the only reason i was looking at fry was because i could walk in and buy it.. ive always be kind scared about buying hardware online.. but anyways i found one last card what do u guys think about this?
February 13, 2011 10:21:13 PM

Ive decide to get the Vapor X thanks for all the replys and special thanks to

-Purple stank and Mactronix
=)
February 13, 2011 10:24:38 PM

Best answer selected by karl1234.
a c 499 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 10:24:39 PM

purple stank said:
1.0/1.1/2.0?

PCI Express 2.0 (x16) as posted in my first reply above.
February 13, 2011 10:33:23 PM

ko888 said:
PCI Express 2.0 (x16) as posted in my first reply above.

Im not sure how would i check?
a c 499 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 10:40:54 PM

karl1234 said:
Im not sure how would i check?

I saw it in the Dell Studio 540 Setup Guide on Page 48 under the Expansion Bus section.
February 13, 2011 10:45:48 PM

ko888 said:
I saw it in the Dell Studio 540 Setup Guide on Page 48 under the Expansion Bus section.

ya i see it to it says i have PCI E 2.0(x16) is that good?
a c 499 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 10:47:30 PM

karl1234 said:
ya i see it to it says i have PCI E 2.0(x16) is that good?

Yes. Less compatibility issues.
February 13, 2011 10:50:30 PM

ko888 said:
Yes. Less compatibility issues.

so is the vapor-x compatible with my system? and i dont need to upgrade my psu right?
a c 499 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 11:10:13 PM

karl1234 said:
so is the vapor-x compatible with my system? and i dont need to upgrade my psu right?

The SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100284VXL Radeon HD 5750 1GB will draw over 7 Amps from the +12 Volt rail under full GPU load and is one of the reasons why there is a PCI Express Supplementary power connector on the card.

If your current power supply is able to provide a sufficient DC Output current to power the graphics card and the remainder of your system components like the CPU, motherboard, CD/DVD drive, hard disk drive(s), CPU cooling fan, case fans then you don't need to replace the power supply.
a c 499 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 11:37:53 PM

If the PSU is the Delta Electronics Inc. Model DPS-350XB-2 A with an Output for +12VA === 12 Amps and +12VB === 18 Amps and a combined +12V output of 300 Watts max it should be able to handle the SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100284VXL Radeon HD 5750 1GB. That power supply should also have one 6-Pin PCI Express Supplementary power connector that is required by that graphics card.
a c 214 U Graphics card
February 14, 2011 12:27:14 AM

The link you provided of the XFX card at newegg is the 5770 a more powerful card.

Make sure you get the 5750.

Yes your system is fully compatible with either 2.0 or 2.1 PCI-express x 16 cards.You have a 2.0 slot which is compatible with all types of x16.

Your Welcome
Goodluck and Happy Gaming
February 14, 2011 12:30:31 AM

purple stank said:
The link you provided of the XFX card at newegg is the 5770 a more powerful card.

Make sure you get the 5750.

how ok thanks. do u think its worth it to just upgrade my psu and get a better graphics card? im willing to spend around 250$ for psu and graphics card. or should i just stay with the 5750
February 14, 2011 12:31:56 AM

ko888 said:
If the PSU is the Delta Electronics Inc. Model DPS-350XB-2 A with an Output for +12VA === 12 Amps and +12VB === 18 Amps and a combined +12V output of 300 Watts max it should be able to handle the SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100284VXL Radeon HD 5750 1GB. That power supply should also have one 6-Pin PCI Express Supplementary power connector that is required by that graphics card.

i opend up my case and found 1 black and yellow cable that had p8 on it i belive it also had 6 pins is that the cable i need?
a c 214 U Graphics card
February 14, 2011 12:36:46 AM

Yes thats the one.Their should be an Installtion guide that comes with the card and it will show you how to set it up correctly.

What type of monitor do you have?I noticed your low resoultion i was thinking you had a CRT or a 16" or something.With that extra money i suggest buying a new monitor.

I forgot to ask before what is your full system specs?(CPU/RAM etc. etc.)
February 14, 2011 12:50:46 AM

ok awosem i just have two dell1704fpv moniters there just stock the kind u find in schools nothing special. but as of now my system specs are

hardware i have is
- 8gb drr2 ram
- 350 watt psu
- vist 64 bit
- Processor: intel core 2 quad cpu 2.40 GHz

processor 5.9
ram 5.6
graphics 4.0
gaming graphics 4.1
hard disk 5.9

i really wanted to put a gs600 corsair psu in my case but my only consirn was that the fan is on top of the psu in stead of on the side which bothers me because as u can see in this link

http://www.pacificgeek.com/largeimage.asp?productimages...

my psu is mounted on the top of my case and im not sure if its ok to have to fan from the psu facing the sealing of my case... thats why i was kind of moving away from the idea of upgrading my psu and just buying a less powerfull graphics card. do u know if it matters if the fan from the psu is facing the sealing? srry i know this is kind off topic.

heres the psu i wanted

http://www.corsair.com/gs600w.html [...] m_store=en
February 14, 2011 12:52:29 AM

idk why theres that quote thing... lol srry most have missed clicked on somthing...
February 14, 2011 1:21:37 AM

purple stank said:
Yes thats the one.Their should be an Installtion guide that comes with the card and it will show you how to set it up correctly.

What type of monitor do you have?I noticed your low resoultion i was thinking you had a CRT or a 16" or something.With that extra money i suggest buying a new monitor.

I forgot to ask before what is your full system specs?(CPU/RAM etc. etc.)

Youngster
More Information
ok awosem i just have two dell1704fpv moniters there just stock the kind u find in schools nothing special. but as of now my system specs are

hardware i have is
- 8gb drr2 ram
- 350 watt psu
- vist 64 bit
- Processor: intel core 2 quad cpu 2.40 GHz

processor 5.9
ram 5.6
graphics 4.0
gaming graphics 4.1
hard disk 5.9

i really wanted to put a gs600 corsair psu in my case but my only consirn was that the fan is on top of the psu in stead of on the side which bothers me because as u can see in this link

http://www.pacificgeek.com/largeim [...] -540-3.jpg

my psu is mounted on the top of my case and im not sure if its ok to have to fan from the psu facing the sealing of my case... thats why i was kind of moving away from the idea of upgrading my psu and just buying a less powerfull graphics card. do u know if it matters if the fan from the psu is facing the sealing? srry i know this is kind off topic.

heres the psu i wanted

http://www.corsair.com/gs600w.html [...] m_store=en
a c 499 U Graphics card
February 14, 2011 1:23:45 AM

When you mount the power supply the fan will be facing down. The power supply's fan will not be against the case. If it is then you've mounted it incorrectly.

The Corsair Gaming Series GS600 power supply has good electrical characteristics but its ventilation is not that good and its noise increases when the power supply ramps up the cooling fan.
February 14, 2011 1:37:12 AM

ko888 said:
When you mount the power supply the fan will be facing down. The power supply's fan will not be against the case. If it is then you've mounted it incorrectly.

The Corsair Gaming Series GS600 power supply has good electrical characteristics but its ventilation is not that good and its noise increases when the power supply ramps up the cooling fan.

oh ok i see. if i wanted to upgrade my psu would u suggest i get this psu instead?

i know this is kind of topic... but it does determine what kind of graphics card i get.

my case also only has on case fan as u can see in this picture

http://www.pacificgeek.com/largeimage.asp?productimages...

or should i just stay with the vapor-x 5750?

a c 214 U Graphics card
February 14, 2011 1:46:24 AM

Yah it's really not good that the Fan is facing tward the case.It's not getting any air.Someone at Dell must have installed it wrong or something.If it is indeed mounted wrong i'm surprised that it hasn't overheated yet.

If you want a PSU get this one.

It's really high quality and better than the Corsair.And it's more likely to fit too.

I still think you should get a nice 20" LCD monitor.I'm sure it would look better.
February 14, 2011 1:56:17 AM

purple stank said:
Yah it's really not good that the Fan is facing tward the case.It's not getting any air.Someone at Dell must have installed it wrong or something.If it is indeed mounted wrong i'm surprised that it hasn't overheated yet.

If you want a PSU get this one.

It's really high quality and better than the Corsair.And it's more likely to fit too.

I still think you should get a nice 20" LCD monitor.I'm sure it would look better.

lol i was under the assumption that thats how the psu would have been installed.. lol i havnt installed it or even purchased it yet.. thank god.. well im glad i know that now but anyways. why do u preffer this psu over the corsair one? and does it matter if i only have one case fan? and if i did upgrade my psu what graphics card do u think i should get instead of the vapor-x? i would get a new monitor but i dont have the extra money for it atm.

thanks for your replys :) 
a c 499 U Graphics card
February 14, 2011 2:16:36 AM

Get this one instead. It's the same price as the 500 Watt model but it uses better brand capacitors, has better voltage regulation, quieter cooling because of the larger fan, 8 Amps more on the three combined +12 Volt rails. Gets a rating of 9 Recommended by JonnyGURU.com.

Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI $74.99
a c 214 U Graphics card
February 14, 2011 3:19:17 AM

The Antec is better but it isn't modular.I guess it's just a personal choice.
I thought you said you have around $300 for a GPU and PSU upgrade?How do you not have enough for a new monitor?
February 14, 2011 4:18:43 AM

purple stank said:
The Antec is better but it isn't modular.I guess it's just a personal choice.
I thought you said you have around $300 for a GPU and PSU upgrade?How do you not have enough for a new monitor?

oh ok and i do but the monitors i was looking at in the past were around 300$ them selves. i was planning on using my monitor as a tv also... so i decide it would be better for me to ugrade my graphics card befor i spent that kind of cash on a screen. this is the screen i wanted

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktop-monitors/lcd/...

i figured i should have a sick graphics card if i was going to have this monitor. what kind of card do u think i should have if this is the monitor i want to get?
!