Need warning code speaker for newbuild that dont post

shawn622

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
i just built a nice, econemy new build. asus m5a78l-m lx mobo, am3+fx 4100 cpu. corsair ddr3 ram 8 gigs, and a grafix card. the card is good. it just wont post. fans spin. mobo light comes on. but no mouse or keyboard. i lost the code speaker and wnt to buy a new one. any ideas/

thanks

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Is this what you are looking for: http://www.amazon.com/PC-Internal-Mini-Onboard-Speaker/dp/B002W4M0DW
It's the mobo speaker that sometimes comes with motherboards or cases... and sometimes does not.

As for the POSTing problem, I would bread board the motherboard with just the CPU/HSF, memory, graphics card (if no integrated) and monitor, and PSU. Short the 2 pins that the case's pwr sw. would plug into to start. See if you can boot to BIOS.

shawn622

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011

first off thanks for the suggestion. so u think i need to take it out of the case and bench set up the mobo on a piece of cardboard with just psu, cpu, like 1 stick of ram and onboard graphics, or card and try to get post? if i could get into bios id be ok. but no video or sound make it very irritatingly frustrating. ive had it with this machine. i thought it was going to be a great low cost system. my kids arent hardcore gamers, but they like to play some high rez games, and i wouldn't have to upgrade in 6 months. but its turned into a pisser. i just use the laptop.

kind regards,
shawn

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I can understand your frustration. I've built several gaming rigs for others, and occasionally I get a motherboard that's defective. Bread-boarding it that way can help isolate the problem. And, If you can connect your monitor to the on-board VGA temporarily and use it rather than a video card... and the computer won't show a display, the problem is more than likely the board. It's also possible that the processor is the problem, but I've never had a bad processor yet. I have, on the otherhand, had bad boards.

If you get a display, try to boot to BIOS. If you can enter BIOS and navigate around, then the problem may lie elsewhere.