Sign in with
Your question

CCC install froze, now computer borked

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 13, 2011 5:00:38 AM

I tried installing the latest Catalyst Control Center and my whole computer is now broken. While installing it was going normally, and the screen changed resolution and the installation window disappeared. I figured it was just doing it's thing, so I left it for awhile. However, it soon became clear that the process had broken, since after a half hour the screen hadn't changed.

At this point the taskbar does not show up, and most windows won't open at all. Control alt delete just gives me a black screen, and the windows key does nothing. Safe mode works a bit better, but some stuff still doesn't work. Anyone know what the problem is, and better yet how to go about fixing it?

I'm running Windows Vista 64 with a 4850.
February 13, 2011 9:10:03 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Windows Vista to section Graphics & Displays by Mousemonkey
m
l
February 13, 2011 2:34:33 PM

shalashaska161 said:
I tried installing the latest Catalyst Control Center and my whole computer is now broken. While installing it was going normally, and the screen changed resolution and the installation window disappeared. I figured it was just doing it's thing, so I left it for awhile. However, it soon became clear that the process had broken, since after a half hour the screen hadn't changed.

At this point the taskbar does not show up, and most windows won't open at all. Control alt delete just gives me a black screen, and the windows key does nothing. Safe mode works a bit better, but some stuff still doesn't work. Anyone know what the problem is, and better yet how to go about fixing it?

I'm running Windows Vista 64 with a 4850.

So, should I assume you've attempted to uninstall CCC?

The New Number Two
m
l
February 13, 2011 2:45:13 PM

If you can boot to safe mode, try to uninstall CCC and graphics drivers, then use Driver Sweeper to get any left over drivers related to your video card.
m
l
Related resources
!