Certain games mute my computer

mandarinez

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
Hey everyone,

I'm having a really confusing issue where playing certain games will completely mute my computer. For example, when playing Starcraft 2, I will open the program, the menu music will play for a bit, then nothing. I've tried it with two sets of speakers and three sets of headphones, so I'm pretty sure its a soundcard/driver issue.

Whats really confusing, is that only some games/programs will mute my computer. Starcraft 2, Team Fortress 2, Singularity, Borderlands, and Ventrilo will all mute my computer, while Battlefield Bad Company 2, Fallout New Vegas, The Witcher 2, Homefront, and Dragon age 2 do not. Is there some relation between the games that work and the games that dont?

I am using Realtek on board sound, and my motherboard model is Intel DP55WB, and I believe I have the latest drivers for said motherboard. I am currently running Windows XP Service pack 3. If there's any other information that you would like to know, please ask.

Playing games without sound is not very fun at all, and being unable to use Vent makes any team based play impossible. Any help is greatly appreciated!

G

It happened to me also. When I play portal 2, I have sound but when I started to play crysis 2, no sound. I checked all connections and windows sound was ok. It turned out that the problem for me was that I made sound not compatible by raising the bit rate in my audio drivers from the lowest one to a higher one. Crysis 2 didn't support the higher bit rate and once I turned it back down everything worked.

TRENDING THREADS