Arctic Cooling Freezer Extreme Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

theducksknow

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Hi guys!

i'm not looking to purchase a new cooler.
let me explain.

my family are a big PC gaming one. whenever one person upgrades they tend to give their old gaming rig to another person in the family. for instance my bro-in-law has the 2600k now, he gave his old quad core to my brother. it goes kinda like that, we keep each other relatively mid-high end when it comes to PC parts.

anyway im currently working on an amd stock cooler right now and i have to say for a stock cooler it is a beast, my cpu never goes above 40C, i'm quite surprised to have seen heat pipes on a stock cooler (used to be a big intel fan and their stock coolers were usually just a chunk of metal with a fan)

anyway this stock cooler spins, max, at 6200rpm and ive even had the ability to overclock quite well without much of a difference keeping well away from critical temps. yes at close to the max rpm the fan is loud but considering i have a 5.1 surround sound system i can't hear it unless i lean in towards the case.

anyway my dad has the Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme (original), it doesn't feature in many benchmarks but it is an awesome cooler. (brother in law has the rev.2 and has his cpu clocked to 4.5ghz keeping around 70-80C on load)

now my dad is going watercooling for his cpu, he's interested in giving it a go, which means the freezer xtreme will most likely be mine. one thing i have a problem with is the fan spins at max 1500rpm, its good for the 2 of them as it keeps both their CPUs cool, and i know it will keep mine cooler than it is with the stock cooler. but i'm quite fond of my little stock cooler and its high rpm,

sorry for the long explanation,
anyway my question is, is it possible to switch out the default 120mm fan for a faster fan of the same size? if so that would be excellent.

looking forward to your replies
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.