Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help with case standoff

Last response: in Systems
April 19, 2011 10:20:03 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm in a little bit of trouble with my case. Basically I have a standoff hole that is too big (4mm in width) and the standard brass standoffs won't fit in :( 

What I need is a standoff with a thread width around the same as the width of the top of a 6-32 standoff...

Can anyone please help me with this as I am lost.. Are there any alternatives for me or does anyone know of a standoff that would fit? Its only one hole by the way...

Thanks,
Ned

More about : case standoff

a b B Homebuilt system
April 19, 2011 10:38:07 PM

edit: is the width of the hole exactly 4mm? And its threaded?
m
l
April 19, 2011 11:12:56 PM

Hi :) 

The hole is 4mm from my measurements and I think the reason that it is bigger is that a person drilled it when removing a hard drive cage that was taking up space.

I guess the hole isn't threaded :( 

Sorry, i'm not good at this

Damn it, doesn't look like I can do much with this
m
l
Related resources
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
April 19, 2011 11:17:52 PM

If you are unable to use only one standoff, don't worry about it, at least with a atx mothewrboard with 9 holes. The remaining standoffs will support the motherboard just fine.

m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
April 19, 2011 11:24:56 PM

are the rest of the standoffs 1/2" in length? Can you access the other side of the sheet with the hole in it? If youre willing to spend the money, you could go to mcmaster.com and search for
92499A460
The m4 male thread may be able to thread itself into that 4mm hole. If not, push it through and fasten it on the other side with an m4 nut. This will also probably work with an 8-32 male thread, and maybe even a 6-32.

option 2: use a long 6-32 screw and a bunch of washers or nuts to act as spacers

edit: only do this if the hole on your mobo is nowhere near any exposed circuitry. Youd have much better luck asking this question in a case modders forum, im a mechanical engineer, not an experienced case modder.
April 19, 2011 11:36:05 PM

Thanks, I was guessing I would be okay, was just a little worried that I might risk damaging hardware. Its just a corner in the motherboard, i'm actually thinking about putting an idle molex connector right under the empty motherboard hole for a little more support, if I can get it to stay in place :D 

I hope thats safe
m
l
April 19, 2011 11:38:07 PM

Thanks so much for the information genghiskron, i'll look into it :)  Hopefully I can improve it!
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
April 19, 2011 11:48:07 PM

Xivilai said:
Thanks, I was guessing I would be okay, was just a little worried that I might risk damaging hardware. Its just a corner in the motherboard, i'm actually thinking about putting an idle molex connector right under the empty motherboard hole for a little more support, if I can get it to stay in place :D 

I hope thats safe

Unless the motherboard droops significantly, I would put nothing there. You don't want to risk a short.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 20, 2011 12:10:31 AM

yeah im sorry, geofelt is correct. in upright position the mobo corner will have almost zero horizontal load on it. what i mistakenly recommended is what I would do and not what i should in good conscience recommend to someone else.
m
l
April 27, 2011 10:06:50 AM

Thanks for your advice everyone,

In the end I just got some loctite 222 and it did the job perfectly,

Ned
m
l
May 4, 2011 10:48:37 AM

Best answer selected by Xivilai.
m
l