Memory Upgrade... kind of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elarys

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Due to a PCIe slot on my current system failing suddenly. I have had to purchase a new motherboard/chip/memory today.

I have picked the motherboard I like, and the chip.

Motherboard GA-Z68XP-UD3 from Gigabyte, my preferred supplier.

The chip I have ordered is an Intel Core i5-2400 3.10GHz (Sandybridge).

I'm just left with a bit of confusion over which memory set to get. I've been recommend a Kingston brand (but I don't trust them due to past experience with faulty modules), I prefer to get Corsair or Crucial as they are the good brands (and reasonably priced).

I've heard that while the motherboard can support DDR3-14900, that the i5 itself might be restricted, so even though I might buy high spec ram, the i5 might end up using at a lower speed.

So which 8GB set of ram should I look for?

I have considered this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-321-CS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1387 at first, until I read that the i5 might not be able to use that properly.

I hope I've made sense, and that someone can help me out with picking the right memory for my Chip/MoBo.

Solution
Go for RAM @ 1600MHz with 1.5V to 1.65V (I believe even 1.35V will work).
With the Sandy Bridge architect, anything above 1600MHz will bring little to no gain.
CPUs such as the Lynnfield CPUs and Bulldozer CPUs are able to benefit from high MHz RAM because of their memory controller.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Go for RAM @ 1600MHz with 1.5V to 1.65V (I believe even 1.35V will work).
With the Sandy Bridge architect, anything above 1600MHz will bring little to no gain.
CPUs such as the Lynnfield CPUs and Bulldozer CPUs are able to benefit from high MHz RAM because of their memory controller.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.