ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE - will it support XEON and ECC memory?

G

Hi all,

Tomorrow I'm going to buy Xeon E3-1230 processor and Asus P8Z88-V DELUXE motherboard. I wonder if they will work together? I read that Asus policy is that they officialy say they support Xeons only in their WS mobos, but in reality there is no problem running it on regular DELUXE, PRO etc mobos. Could anyone confirm those two will work together?

Second question, will those two support ECC memory? Xeon can support also non-ecc, but I would prefer ECC one.

Many thanks for reply,
ubu king

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
While I don't know about Xeon compatibility, I've never had any issues myself. I'm running an X3210 in an ancient Gigabyte P35 mobo. It just worked.

As far as ECC, what are you doing that you need it? It's not like it provides any benefit to the average user.

G

well, I just read ECC corrects 4000 of errors per year :) Since system will be up almost 24/7 all the time, I think it is just wise to buy ECC instead of 1866Mhz XMP memory (I doube xeon will make a use of it anyway).

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Do you mean an ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe/GEN3 motherboard?

If so then no, that motherboard will not support ECC memory. ASUS website also lists only the Intel Core i3/i5/i7 Series, Pentium, and Celeron Series processors as being compatible options. I cannot tell you what will happen if you try to use the Xeon processor with that motherboard, but you probably need to get yourself a server motherboard if you want an Intel Xeon processor.

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Scratch that reply, I saw the real model, ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe, in your title.

Anyway, ASUS doesn't list any specific CPU Series yet in the product page. My guess, however, is that it will not list the Xeon processors and will not support ECC memory.

G

Yes, it won't list the xeons but they might be supported :)

Please check this: http://www.servethehome.com/asus-p9x79-sandy-bridgee-motherboard-review-socket-lga-2011/ - this is other chipset, but still Asus site doesn't mention any xeon is supported on this board, while we have a proof that it is supported :)

So I'm asking not for informations from tech manuals - I read them already, I would like to hear if someone have tried it or heard/read it (either if it is possible or not).

G

OK, I think it will support xeon. WS is based on the same chip. I saw Asrock desktop mobos all support xeons so it is not a big deal...

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I do believe you will be fine with a Xeon CPU, but don't expect any support from ASUS if it doesn't work. :)
As for ECC, no go. You need to use non-ECC for this board. But unless this system is going to be a "mission critical" system, ECC isn't really needed. Home systems running 24/7 don't need ECC. Servers running banking/ecommerce databases should have it.

G

It works!

I have tested it and it is running fine. Processor is correctly recognized in BIOS and even says it is supported there :D

So concluding: Xeon support by asus mobos is just a political decision, not technical. Xeon is supported in all their boards with z77 chip. The reason they say it is supported only in WS board is because that is their policy.

I'm running Xeon E3-1230 with Corsair Vengance 16GB ram 1866MHz and ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE.

Best Regards,
Ubu

G

Yeah, WS is more expensive and I would buy it for sure but it lacks some of the features from Deluxe (bluetooth, wifi etc.). So spending more and getting less - that's why they use this trick I think ;)

Anyway board is great and the processor is running fine, all options are available in BIOS, I can enable/disable Execution Bit protection, HT, virtualization etc. So it seems e3 it is 100% supported CPU on this board :)

Paul P

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
Yeah, WS is more expensive and I would buy it for sure but it lacks some of the features from Deluxe (bluetooth, wifi etc.). So spending more and getting less - that's why they use this trick I think ;)
You need the WS (and a Xeon) to get ECC support.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to use a Xeon without ECC memory ? Why not just use an equivalentj i7 ?

G

Well, asus p8z77 ws does not support ECC despite it support Xeons. I've read both manuals and both mobos doesn't support ECC.

I want xeon because it suites me best. I will move it to server machine once Ivy Bridge processors will be released. This board is for Ivy Bridge, xeon is just a place holder for it :) the i7-2600 or 2700 is not usefull for me, once Ivy Bridge are released there will be nothing to do with it... xeon is more flexible, it supports ecc, non ecc, buffered, unbuffered memory, can be installed in server, workstation and desktop.