Asus x79 Sabertooth - Memory(?) Issue

healthhazad

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Hi all,

I have posted on other forums about this but figure spread the net wide and somebody might have new advice.

I have an Asus x79 Sabertooth mobo, 3930k CPU and a quad channel kit of Corsair Dominator RAM which should run at 1600Mhz.

The problem I experience is at boot the DRAM LED lights up, the system fails to POST and we get a nice black screen to look at.

So... I use the MemOK! button on the board which reboots the system and 'does its thing' dropping the RAM speed and timings to something low. I then get asked to save the new settings in the BIOS and the system will then boot.

I can restart the system and everything is ok but once I shut down I have to go through the above process all over again. The RAM speeds that the MemOK sets are not the same each time but can vary wildly.

I have the latest BIOS etc and for some people this apparently fixed this issue - I flashed the BIOS again in case it was lying when it said it was the latest version :)

THe system did seem to work after that in that it booted with the right settings - I shut it down and started and it 'just worked' - wahey! But... The next day same old same.

I have taken the RAM and put into another machine and it boots fine but unfortunately the mobo in that machine will only run memory at 1333 I think it is so I can't test the RAM at 1600. This however does lead me to think the RAM may be OK.

I have submitted cases to the various supplies and am awaiting responses (or in some cases useful responses).

Within the BIOS I have tried setting the 'AI Tune' to auto/XMP and manual.

The BIOS reads the XMP profile of the memory and applies it correctly. The menu option for the DRAM lists each module as 'OK' and lists all of the SPD info from them.

So far it has been suggested it is either the mobo/cpu or RAM which sucks when its all such high end kit.

I apologise for the length of the post, I wanted to be concise. I would be grateful of any suggestions and if I have missed anything please let me know

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Have you tried clearing the CMOS? That may be the first thing to try. Next, Is the memory actually compatible with the board? Asus boards can be picky on the RAM the use so you may want to check that. It looks like you've got a pretty sweet setup there but, as long as your systems works fine except for this boot issue, I doubt there is a problem with the hardware.

Finally, set the timing for the memory. Although it states it gets to the correct speed, your timings may be off which, could be leading to the problems.

Hopefully something helps ya out a bit. Let us know how it goes.

Please provide a link to the Dominator's. In most instances the settings below should work,and in some rarer instances a PLL adjustment might be required, but typically the XMP will make those changes.

Verify the RAM is installed in the correct DIMM slots and the top latches are locked shut.
DIMM Slots; see diagram -> http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/ASUS_Quad_Channel.gif

Possible kits:
CMP16GX3M4X1600C7 7-8-8-24-2N @ 1.65v

XMP Method:
BIOS: (no guarantees, but easiest)
AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP
eXtreme Memory Profile -> Profile1

/option that add stability:
CPU VCCSA Voltage -> Manual
CPU VCCSA Manual Voltage -> 1.20v ; never exceed 1.35v!!!
VTTCPU Voltage -> 1.20v ; ideally to match VCCSA
DRAM Voltage (A/B) -> 1.65v
DRAM Voltage (C/D) -> 1.65v

Save & Exit = Yes

Manual Method:
AI Overclock Tuner -> Manual

DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600 ; you can test CAS with DDR3-1333
DRAM Timing Control /Enter
DRAM CAS -> 7 ; you can test (8)
DRAM RAS to CAS -> 8
DRAM RAS PRE -> 8
DRAM RAS ACT -> 24
DRAM Command Mode -> 2

DRAM Voltage (A/B) -> 1.65v
DRAM Voltage (C/D) -> 1.65v

CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 10-10-10-27-2N @ 1.50v

XMP Method:

/option that add stability:
DRAM Voltage (A/B) -> 1.55v
DRAM Voltage (C/D) -> 1.55v

Save & Exit = Yes

Manual Method:
AI Overclock Tuner -> Manual

DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600 ; you can test with DDR3-1333
DRAM Timing Control /Enter
DRAM CAS -> 10
DRAM RAS to CAS -> 10
DRAM RAS PRE -> 10
DRAM RAS ACT -> 27
DRAM Command Mode -> 2

healthhazad

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Hi guys, thanks for the responses so far.

I have cleared the CMOS - did it again just now and then went through the MemOK process etc.

The memory is listed as being compatible (CMP32GX3M4X1600C10) and the modules are installed into the slots designated by the manual. I haven't yet played around with the voltages properly.

The board when left in the 'Auto' mode did raise the voltage levels up on the RAM etc but I still seemed to have the problem.

I will give the manual tweaking a shot. I had avoided as I felt the XMP settings should work especially when they list 1.5v as 'this is what I should be running at' if that makes sense.

Well, I posted settings for the CMP32GX3M4X1600C10, and I suggest that you try them. No guarantees, but if both the RAM and DIMM slots are good they should work. I would strongly suggest that you first simply try the XMP, 8GB/stick the XMP will probably also set the PLL at least that's what I was told by Corsair.

The Auto really isn't suited for your density, and certainly not running at Rated Frequency.

First:

Second (add):

healthhazad

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Hi,

I set the board to XMP and put one stick in.

This stick posted and the XMP settings appeared to apply as expected. I then added a second stick as per the manual slot choice and the system still appeared to apply the XMP settings and post without issue.

I then moved on to adding the two remaining sticks as the manual doesn't seem to indicate using a set of 3 sticks.

The system then failed to post with the DRAM LED error I have already described.

I took out the two new sticks and then removed the two which appeared to work.

I then added one of the second set - this stick failed to post with the LED error. I then swapped this one out for the other stick which had been added. This one went past the LED error but I got a screen message telling me the 'overclock' had failed and it was at 1333.

I pulled these sticks and put the two 'working' ones back in and they still worked fine.

This makes me think that the mobo and slots are ok?

Would seem odd to have 2 faulty sticks in a tested quad kit.

As two sticks work fine at XMP without adding more voltage etc would you say its best to RMA the kit?

Apologies if any of my questions are silly, 6 years since my last build and a lot has changed since then.

healthhazad

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Just seen on the Asus forum that a new BIOS is available though it is only via a direct link and is not listed on the official page. No release notes either but I have a copy in preparation.

A lot of the posts I found about memory problems on this board indicated that they had been fixed with a BIOS update. Perhaps the one released today will do that for me.

Still open to advice and suggestions - I very much appreciate your feedback and help

Did you try what I recommended or not, seems not. I wouldn't place all my faith on a BIOS update. The vast majority of problems is folks want plug-n-play and are scared to death of the BIOS.

Try what I recommended. I have the same MOBO and 32GB of RAM...

/edit - BTW I'm a 100x more apprehensive about updating my BIOS than I am about tweaking it.

hexstatic

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Hi guys, thought I'd post seeing as I have exactly the same CPU, mobo, 32 GB RAM, Win 7 64 bit..... :D

Win 7 had been displaying 32 GB of RAM correctly, but now it is only showing 24 GB, and in the bios POST it shows 24 GB... yet when I run CPU-Z from windows it shows 32 GB....

Im really stuck, can anyone help? I've tried system restores, and Ive cleared the CMOS, neither have helped...

Its a brand new system I built only 2 days ago.....

many thanks, and sorry for the hyjack :bounce:

:pt1cable:

As above, first, make sure the RAM is installed in the correct i.e. same color DIMM slots (light tan specific to the Sabertooth X79), properly seated i.e. the top latches are closed and locked, and then the settings I posted above.

If that fails then you might have a bad stick, the easiest is to boot with (1) stick and test, next swap the next stick and so on until the bad stick fails to post/boot.

DIMM slot for (1) stick testing:
| blank | blank | blank | blank | CPU | blank | RAM | blank | blank |

No magic, you just need to make the effort.

healthhazad

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Just posting after the BIOS update...

The system now posts OK with XMP settings though it only runs the RAM at 1333 rather than 1600. I haven't yet gone through modifying the voltages as all but the RAM voltage were as suggested. Back in now so I might give that a go and see if it lets me raise it.

Oddly when you look in the SPD menu in the BIOS for the RAM sticks they are all listed as max bandwidth 1333 which is what the JEDEC profile says.

Anyway getting closer.

Jaquith - will modify the RAM voltages when its morning and I am more focussed and see how that goes.

healthhazad

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I spoke too soon again.

jaquith - yes I have done what you suggested r.e XMP and some voltage changes.

Still have the same problem.

healthhazad

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Tried manual and still had same problem.

Went through with all the sticks and found that there is one which always brings up the DRAM LED error and doesn't post.

The others do and the XMP setup works fine with them, or at least with two sticks anyway.

Not tried with 3 because the manual doesn't show that as a setup.

Simple, RMA the entire Kit -- it's toast. NewEgg offers 'Expedited RMA' (<30 days) 1~2 days -- you get charged for a New set and refunded once the Bad kit gets returned (takes 3 days for them to process the credit and inspect). Otherwise, Corsair (>30 days) offers the same and places a 'hold' for the retail cost and shipping takes 4~5 days.

branen

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Hi Jaquith,

I have a question about my memory on my sabertooth x79/QB7R Xeon, I have G.Skill 32Gb of ram, well remember those screen shots i posted ? Well the system works fine with the 32Gb & manual settings in the bios & i just updated to 1009 bios ! Well i set everything to auto an wanted to use the speed step technology so when the cpu is not under load it clocks down well i can log on to windows an run AIDA64 an it will run the whole benchmark but after the system locks, so i pulled 4 of the memory sticks out so i only have 16Gb an it works fine lol, I have no idea what it could be ?

Most of the time, not always, it's in the voltages with (2) kits. However, it's often the CAS Timings. Try the following voltages:

DRAM Voltage (A/B) -> 1.XXv ; add +0.05v to Rated (1.50v -> 1.55v, 1.60v -> 1.65, etc)
DRAM Voltage (C/D) -> 1.XXv ; add +0.05v to Rated (1.50v -> 1.55v, 1.60v -> 1.65, etc)

Otherwise start a new Thread and PM its' URL.

ijascrytec

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013

Hi
I have the same problem but i am using 2x8 16 gigs of rams. windows shows only 8 gigs of ram. Corsair Vengeance (CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10) my model umber is different. is it safe to try your method for this model number

00whistler00

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
[/quotemsg=Hi
I have the same problem but i am using 2x8 16 gigs of rams. windows shows only 8 gigs of ram. Corsair Vengeance (CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10) my model umber is different. is it safe to try your method for this model number [/quotemsg]

What windows are you using, if i remember correctly anything other than ultimate 7 will only run 8gb ram max.

Hernan Bugallo

Honorable
May 30, 2013
I have the same issue!!! but on ASUS P9x79 Pro, using the i7 3930k

4 x GSKILL 8Gb/each it only detects the one in the slot DIMM-C1, no matther which of the four dimms it shows abnormal DIMM-A1, DIMM-B1, and DIMM-D1.
I didn't overclock anything, its seams like 3 DIMM slots are bad.

Hernan