Brand new Cyberpower PC (Gamer Ultra 2085) won't boot up...

c-ross

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
...Or at least, it starts for a split second before turning back off. I checked the interior power supply and everything was connected snug and tightly. What's strange is that the first time I booted it up, it turned on, but my monitor received no signal from the system. I went to unplug my monitor, heard a low "powering down" type of grumble from my PC, and it shut off. Now I'm left with this current issue. I tried to do the "paper clip" test as suggested by their website, but as I said the interior is snug and tight. I couldn't get the 20/24 connector undone at all. Any advice, comrades?

c-ross

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

Thanks for the swift reply good sir!

I got the connector undone, and tried the paper clip test. To my surprise it worked, so I guess it's not a problem with the power supply. The motherboard light is on green, so I'm assuming it's not a problem with that, either. I'm baffled as to what it could be. o_0

The 'paper clip' test is a rough test and does not fully test the PSU under load. And BTW, the paper clip test will simulate the motherboard 'ON' signal and turn ON whatever is connected to it.

Since this is a brand new computer, it is still under warranty, and explain the results of the paper clip test to the computer manufacturer. I expect them to realize that the paper clip test is not an all inclusive test for PSUs. They may suggest some additional things. However, handle this with some discretion, and don't give them grounds to accuse you of experimentation without their explicit authorization. Please document events with dates, tests performed per their request, results, and data.

c-ross

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

I understand. Something may still be wrong with the PSU. I plan to contact CyberPower customer/tech support tomorrow and look into this; I'll make sure to tell them of my results with this test. I don't plan on experimenting with the PC, I just noticed that test was a thing tech support tells you can be tried. I thankfully purchased a 2 year warranty with Newegg, the online store I purchased the unit from, so I should be able to RMA it soon. I sincerely doubt I will be able to fix this problem without submitting the unit back to them for further investigation of said issues. I'll make sure to document these things though. I'll update this thread after I hear back from them.