6870, 50c Idle, 70-85c Load.

eltocliousus

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
Hi, I've had my 6870 for a couple months now and after checking a few benchmarks online, my card seems stupidly high in terms of temperature. I've seen that most benchmarks have around 15c idle and 50c under load, mine idles at 50c!

Hopefully something hasn't gone terribly wrong, I'd like to keep my card working at full performance for atleast a year..
I've recently gotten a CM 690 II case, stock fans with an extra 120mm on the side panel point directly at the 6870. Fan is currently on automatic and if I pump it up to 100% (which turns me room into a little aircraft carrier) it only goes down around 5-10c at best.

I appreciate any/all replies as this is worrying me quite a bit, I'm aware that newer GPU's can withstand 100c under load but after seeing benchmarks where their temperatures are 35c below mine.. something isn't right.

Take care!

eltocliousus

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
I regularly use two monitors, but I feel the need to turn the 2nd one off when I play a game, immersion/performance purposes, although I've been told it doesn't hinder performance at all but, I'd rather get all the juice I can.

But no, not while playing.

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
It really depends on condition which the benchmarks were carried out. I presume most of these reviews do it in open air.

It also depends on the initial temperature of your room etc etc etc...

To take an extreme example, if you do a benchmark of that setup in a tiny room in the middle of Africa, your GPU WILL go to nearly 100C even at idle!
While if you do the same benchmark in a large room with a temparature of around -5C then probably yes, the GPU will be around 15C idle. I wouldnt worry about it as your temp is perfectly fine.

As a matter of fact, 15C idle? That seems fishy.

Really, it's supposed to run that cool? Lots of graphics cards get near 80C.

What's your ambient temp and how's your case airflow? If your card has internal exhaust and you don't have AMAZING flow, it's gonna run hotter.

eltocliousus

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
Well, my room is fairly airy, not much in here since I decorating it into a computer room/bedroom. It stays colder than usual room temperature, about 16-19c most of the time sometimes dipping into lower 20's if I feel cold.

Not sure about the airflow, I have sufficient fans, all stock on the CM 690 II with one extra on the side panel for cooling the GPU.

The reason I asked is because some of these benchmarks seem really, really low, 15c idle and 50c load? I honestly thought my card was broken but in the back of my head common sense just thought otherwise. I've never in my 10 years of building and maintaining computers seen a GPU idle that low.

Here is one of the benchmarks I was looking at, maybe I'm missing something or reading it completely wrong, you never know;

temp.png

your missing something. it says "degrees above ambient". that means if its 20 degrees in the room, the chart displays how many degrees above room temp it is. so 20 + 16.6 is 36.6. No air cooled heat sink can cool below ambient temperature. What your getting sounds about right as ypu take room temp, add a few degrees to get your in-case temp (which would be your ambient) and then factor in that fans speed is adjusted automatically on the card.