Need help choosing CPU, Motherboard, and GPU for CAD Workstation

AMKalmar

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
I'm looking into building a computer that will run Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD simultaneously. I may also use 3ds Max for rendering while working in Inventor in the future. I would like the applications to load quickly and run very smoothly with the best graphical settings. I usually also have skype and chrome open. Would an AMD Phenom II 1090T or 1100T be better for this application? Or should I be looking at Intel i7s?

Autocad and virtual special design or if it is to work in everyday use PC workstations, more cores and hyperthread be faster with the support of professional VGA course. for faster is Xeon

i7 990x + Gygabyte UD7 + 6GB RAM minimal (3 Chanel) + Nvidia Quadro Nvidia Quadro FX 5800 (very expensive)

AMD 1090BE + Gygabyte 990X AM3+ (for future easy upgrade to Bulldozer) + ATI FirePro™ V8750Pro (very expensive)

if just for occasional regular or study PCs can also bleak that you mentioned above, but it would be better if you use a VGA FirePro /Nvidia Quadro FX will help you in Rendering but can't use for game.

Cheapest VGA professional :
- AMD FirePro 2270 512MB : $149
- Nvidia Quadro FX400 $169 (faster 5x than GTX 580)

AMKalmar

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Spending $1000 on an Intel CPU seems a bit much when I can get a AMD CPU that gets the job done for $200. The first two GPUs seem a little expensive to me at $1500 but I don't need to go as cheap as the second two $150 GPUs. I can't find a couple of those cards on Newegg.

Perhaps I should provide a little more information. The computer will be used for designing machinery, I won't be playing any games on it but I want to be able to work smoothly with good graphical settings in Inventor. I'll be using an ASUS VW246H 24" monitor and possibly a second, smaller monitor to simultaneously display AutoCAD drawings. I'll be running Windows x64, either XP or 7, I don't know which would be better - I've been using XP for a long time but I don't have an x64 install CD and I think those are hard to come by. I'll probably use 8GB DDR3 RAM.

Since you suggested the AMD 1090T in your second combination, does that mean it would be more suitable than the 1100T? You didn't directly answer that question.