Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
April 20, 2011 2:31:26 AM

I built this system 2 years ago:

Intel DX58SO
i7 920
6 GB G.Skill DDR3
Radeon 4870X2
Corsair HX 1000 (originally was an Ultra unit, but that went bad after about 9 months)

So, I decided to replace my Radeon with a gtx 580 SC. I had gotten $300 for my birthday towards pc upgrades, so I decided to just go for the fastest single gpu card. Fine.

I uninstall all ATI drivers. Shut down, boot into safe mode, run Driver Cleaner Pro, shut down. Install NVIDIA card, press power. Purple distortion lines at the top of my screen. Like white noise, but a static purple image at the top 1/6th of my screen. A bar across. That goes away, screen flickers blue and red really fast for 5 seconds. Then the system proceeds to boot normally with no visual distortions. Except, Windows 7 hangs on the "Starting Windows" screen with the shimmering Windows logo for 12 minutes!!!!

I install NVIDIA drivers and restart. Same issues.

In BIOS, the PCIe slot that the gtx 580 was in only operates at 2.5 GT/s instead of 5.0 GT/s like the 4870X2.

At first I thought it was the card because when I put my 4870X2 back in, all of those problems went away: bootup distortions, slow loading, and the PCIe slot was back to 5.0 GT/s.

So I RMA the card and use my laptop for a while.

Now I try to use my parents' gts 430 and the same problems occur. The GTS 430 works fine in their system, so I know that card is okay.

TLDR:

Strange video distortions on bootup after switching from NVIDIA to ATI card.
"Windows is starting" for 12 minutes
Absolutely sure I uninstalled all ATI drivers from my system before installing the new card
PCIe speed is cut in half with new NVIDIA card (2.5 GT/s instead of 5.0 GT/s like with the 4870x2)

I have no idea what's going on.

More about : completely stumped gpu problems

a b B Homebuilt system
April 20, 2011 2:42:39 AM

Also, when it's taking forever to start, the HDD indicator light flashes a steady blink per second. Instead of flickering rapidly. I'm starting up with boot logging enabled and will post results.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 20, 2011 3:18:39 AM

Okay, bootlog was too long to post. This section showed up over and over and over and over again, though:

Did not load driver @cpu.inf,%intelppm.devicedesc%;Intel Processor
Did not load driver @display.inf,%stdvga%;Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
Did not load driver @oem6.inf,%cx418.m7444desc%;Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM Combo
Did not load driver LogMeIn Mirror Driver
m
l
!