MaybeimAmyzed

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Ok, so I'm a old guy used to be a tech, in an analog world. Wanted to build a computer from the bits and pieces, instead of just ordering another Dell.
It's built, it posts, but when I try to load the os disc, it seems like it times out, and reboots. I get "Loading Operating System", then the led on ther DVD drive goes dark and it reboots. Suspect my bios settings.
The hardware is:
MB: Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H, rev 2.2
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 *840 (yes, I know it's an Athlon II)
HDD 1: WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA III 6Gb/s (OS and Apps)
HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA III 6Gb/s (data)
ODD: LiteOn iHAS324-98 SATA
RAM: G.Skill F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK (2 sticks of 2GB 1333)
Not that it matters, but I stuck it all in a Rosewill Destroyer case, switched out the fans to Antec so I could control them (which works), and stuck a 430W 80plus PSU in the bottom.

In bios, I select IDE mode, and it sees all the drives. In ACHI, nothing, during post.
But, I want AHCI, because I'm also going to use a 2TB eSATA external to back up the data drive. In AHCI, I can designate the front eSATA on the case to the SATA3.0- 4 on my MB, via bios, right? Same with the eSATA on the back panel, which I assume is SATA 3.0-5

My desired OS drive is connected to SATA 3.0-0, the data drive to SATA 3.0-1, the DVD/CD to SATA 3.0-2, and the front panel eSATA to SATA 3.0-4.

I have not adjusted memory timings to 8-8-8-21, as specified by G.Skill, from the 9-9-9-24 the motherboard selected in Auto. Figured I'd wait to do that after everything was running.

I get a single beep on post, so I think everything is happy. Put Arctic Silver under the cooler, and the CPU shows 31. Shouldn't have a thermal loop, right?

But the "loading OS" displays for 15 seconds or so, then it re-posts. The OS is Win 7 Ultimate 64.

Did everything on the Sticky first, to no avail.

If I disconnect the WD drive, and move the Seagate to 3.0-0, the reboot stops. But I get "disk error, insert system disk and press enter".

Stumped. Any help out there? This was going to be a gift, and I wanted to give it this Sunday. It's Tuesday night, and I'm worried.

Solution

LOL, Not sure I would admit that to the public :D