help: unidentifiable LAN problem

mtfr

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2005
I'm connected to a LAN with other 60 people. We are connected to the Internet through a server. I have two problems but I suspect they have the same source:

o) after browsing for a few hours (1 to 3 generally) suddenly I start getting nothing from the Internet. No browser works any more (opera shows in the status bar "connecting to...") only the file transfers that were already started, they keep going. Also new file transfers won't start. I found I can solve this problem under Windows XP by hitting refresh in network neighbourhood but now I am under Windows 2000 and I have to restart my computer.

o) the second problem is with file transfers. When I download a file it stops after a few Megs (usually 30-40... once I got lucky and it stopped at 80 MB). This is independent of what program I use to download the file. Either Opera, Internet Explorer, or whatever download manager I use. When re-transferring, it stops at the exact same place it stopped the last time, even if I reset the computer. This problem does not show when downloading with Total Commander from a FTP.

I'm in desperation... I can't even download programs I really need, like openoffice.org because after 50 MB it stops. The network administator doesn't know what the problem is.

Noone else in the LAN has my problem.

The problems don't show up under Linux.

I have the exact windows versions (xp and 2000) I had last year when I was in a different LAN (I'm in an university campus) and then, I didn't have these problems. I downloaded the latest drivers for the network card (realtek 8139a). Nothing works.

Any ideas, please?

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
What is your current internet connection?
If it uses a modem what make/model is it?
Is that server handling all dhcp, dns, routing, etc?

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

mtfr

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2005
I am connected to the internet through a LAN, thus I use a network adapter - RTL 8139a with the latest drivers. I know that we are all on dhcp so I guess the server does that.

ataridex

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2005
try updating your BIOS re: pci slots?

try forcing the speed of your adapter...set it to half-duplex maybe?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ataridex on 02/03/05 03:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
open a command prompt, type ipconfig /all on your computer and other working computers. see if you are on a different subnet than every one else. also check your dns server info, as well as default gateway.

this is my boomstick!