Sign in with
Your question

Cannot run Windows 8

Last response: in Windows 8
January 12, 2013 1:29:11 AM

Hello,
I recently tried to upgrade to Windows 8 and haven't been successful.

Everytime I do a clean install I can log into the system and play with it for about 30 seconds until it freezes and I can no longer gain access to it.
After starting up I just see the Windows Start up screen and after that the monitor turns off and no more response from the system.

I can however access to it in safe mode. I tried updating the GPU drivers but with no effect.

The computer specs are:
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.33 GHz
Nvidia Geforce 9500GT
Motherboard Intel 3 series DG31GL

Thanks in advance. I really don't know what to do except going back to vista.

Edit: Win 8 Professional 64bit

More about : run windows

a b * Windows 8
January 12, 2013 1:44:01 AM

What version of Windows 8 is this and where did you get it from?
m
l
January 12, 2013 1:48:08 AM

patareco said:

I can log into the system and play with it for about 30 seconds until it freezes and I can no longer gain access to it.

This is rather interesting, is there any more information you can give?

Are you being locked out of Windows?
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2013 1:54:31 AM

@SchizTech Win 8 Professional 64bit

@warhead0 after that I can't get past the boot animation, except when I'm in safe mode. In safe mode I can Login normally.
m
l
January 12, 2013 1:59:44 AM

You could try booting into safe mode and making sure that other drivers, such as the chipset drivers, are proper.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 12, 2013 2:00:13 AM

Is there any way you can test that hard drive? Do you have any other drives on hand? I'm not sure if diagnostic test software would run in safe mode but that's worth a try.
m
l
January 12, 2013 2:47:30 AM

SchizTech said:
Is there any way you can test that hard drive? Do you have any other drives on hand? I'm not sure if diagnostic test software would run in safe mode but that's worth a try.

After running the repairing utility Windows left some logs saying the hard drive was healthy

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 1 C NTFS Partition 465 GB Healthy

However in another log said:

An installation or update of a recent driver may be stopping the system to boot.

What driver may be causing this and how can I fix it?

Thank you
m
l
January 12, 2013 3:02:09 AM

You could try a rollback on the video driver. Of course, it could be a lot of other things instead, but it's worth a shot too.
m
l
January 12, 2013 3:04:46 AM

what's a rollback? I have the default windows drivers intalled with no modification on my part.
m
l
January 12, 2013 3:10:12 AM

A roll back would be going to a previous version of the driver. If you were using the Nvidia driver, then using a different version might have helped, but since you're not, I don't think that is an option other than the possibility of trying to install a Nvidia graphics driver.
m
l
January 12, 2013 3:18:40 AM

Already tried updating the GPU drivers with no luck. I cannot run the motherboard updater utility :/ 
m
l
!