Very 1st Build, 2500k - please confirm or suggest - PSU,Mobo ques.

I've been researching/learning about building for a while and think I'm ready....I could just by another Dell desktop with proprietary connections, soon-to-be obsolete hardware etc, or I could just flush my money down the toilet. I'm excited to get the project rolling asap.

Approximate Purchase Date: 1 week, sooner the better
Budget Range: below $1000 After Rebates
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Multitasking = simultaneous heavy Microsoft Office, multiple browsers, various proprietary software, some gaming, occasional photoshop, etc.
Parts Not Required: Samsung T260 26" 1900X1200, OS, DVD burner/blu ray, keyboard, mouse
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg (or open to suggestion)
Country of Origin: US
Parts Preferences: by brand or type :Intel build
Overclocking: Probably not.
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe Later
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200
Additional Comments: Above all, I want a reliable, stable machine. If light OC'ing is not generally advised against for first timers, I'd consider it, if it means added performance, but not necessary, for now.....maybe at a later date.
----------------------------------------------------------------------


CPU: $225 but see PSU below
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...6819115072

PSU: Would like to go modular, esp. for ease of first build....thinking Corsair 750 or 650? The 850 right now + 2500k combo is $360. Is too much power a problem?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...6817139016
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...6817139012

Cooling: $35
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...6835103065
-Will I only need aftermarket cooling if OC-ing or is it recommended regardless?
-The V8 looks really cool, but reviews don't seem to support as well?

MOBO: Confused.....Looking at these four, but open to others. Best bang for buck?

$150 ASUS P8P67-M PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131707

$155 ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131705

$180 MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130574

$190 ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131703

Case: $160
HAF932 I read about short cable lengths, but shouldn't be an issue? other recommendation? .I like the looks and don't mind it being full and probably better cooling not to mention ease of build (for first timer?)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...6811119160

RAM: $105 or $85
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...6820233144
or
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

GPU:$195
MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127510

hard drives - may reuse current drives, if not probably a Caviar Black or two.

Thanks for the help.
6 answers Last reply
More about very build 2500k confirm suggest mobo ques
  1. This is $999

    Case - $105 - Antec 902 V3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129097
    PSU - $110 - XFX 750 WBlack Edition PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207003
    MoBo - $395 - ASUS P8P67 Pro http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.622007
    CPU - incl above - Intel Core i5-2500K
    Cooler - Later - Scythe SCMG 2100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185142
    TIM - Later - Shin Etsu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150080
    RAM - $84 - (2 x 4GB) Corsair CAS 9 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145324
    GFX - $240 - Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti 900 Mhz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125363
    GFX - Later - Same
    HD - $65 - Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200 rpm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

    Sound card unnecessary.

    The Scythe will do as much as 7.2C cooler than the Hyper 212.
  2. JackNaylorPE said:
    This is $999

    Case - $105 - Antec 902 V3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129097
    PSU - $110 - XFX 750 WBlack Edition PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207003
    MoBo - $395 - ASUS P8P67 Pro http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.622007
    CPU - incl above - Intel Core i5-2500K
    Cooler - Later - Scythe SCMG 2100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185142
    TIM - Later - Shin Etsu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150080
    RAM - $84 - (2 x 4GB) Corsair CAS 9 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145324
    GFX - $240 - Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti 900 Mhz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125363
    GFX - Later - Same
    HD - $65 - Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200 rpm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

    Sound card unnecessary.

    The Scythe will do as much as 7.2C cooler than the Hyper 212.


    -Are my choices that poor? This is appears to basically change everything. I'd like to stick with the HAF 932 full for added working space, better cooling, etc unless you absolutely don't think I'll benefit in either way.

    -Is the GTX 560 Ti worth the addl $45 over the 460?
  3. When it comes to power you can check out this tool to help you find the low end on the power supply http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp. Now the Intel® Core™ I5 2500K and the Asus P8P67 Pro would work well for you on building a solid already system with a lot of top end performance that can be tapped into. Overall it looks like you are heading in the right direction.

    Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team
  4. kramerica20 said:
    -Are my choices that poor? This is appears to basically change everything. I'd like to stick with the HAF 932 full for added working space, better cooling, etc unless you absolutely don't think I'll benefit in either way.


    -No, you have a lot of good choices there. I would go with the ASUS P8P67 PRO and i5-2500k combo on newegg.
    -That XFX 750w PSU is a great one, as good or better than Corsair (depending on who you listen to) and cheaper to boot.

    Those were your two biggest questions and he gave you good suggestions.

    -I have an i5-2500k in a HAF 912 case with a Hyper 212+ running at 4.5Ghz, stable and cool. 212+ is plenty good enough but not needed unless you want to get a nice overclock.

    -You will run into problems with ram that has tall heatspreaders (Vengeance, Ripjaws, etc) and a Hyper 212+ if you have all the ram slots populated. Just something to keep in mind. Kingston has some HyperX models as does Mushkin (Enhanced Silverline) that will fit...there are others too, you just have to look around. If you don't plan to add any ram later, then just put the 2 sticks in slots 2 and 4 and you will be fine.

    -$160 is a lot for a case on a $1000 budget. However, it is one thing that could last years and house multiple builds, potentially increasing its value considerably.

    kramerica20 said:
    -Is the GTX 560 Ti worth the addl $45 over the 460?


    The 560 Ti is newer tech. Better power usage, better framerates, better overclocking potential. Whether it is worth the price increase is up to you, but I would say yes. However, at that price, a 1GB HD 6950 is even less power hungry while providing higher framerates (vs. 560 Ti).
  5. Thanks nd_hunter for the very helpful post.

    Couple quick questions:
    -I presume the HD 6950 is compatible with my build?
    -Will the HAF 912 or Antec (mid) mentioned previously create more difficulty for a first timer in your opinion? I've just been reading that with a large video card and for cable mgmt purposes, etc, springing for a full tower alleviates many potential headaches?
  6. kramerica20 said:
    Thanks nd_hunter for the very helpful post.

    Couple quick questions:
    -I presume the HD 6950 is compatible with my build?
    -Will the HAF 912 or Antec (mid) mentioned previously create more difficulty for a first timer in your opinion? I've just been reading that with a large video card and for cable mgmt purposes, etc, springing for a full tower alleviates many potential headaches?


    Yes, a 6950 is compatible.

    You need to make sure the video card fits and won't bump up against the drive cage. The HAF 912 has a removeable drive cage which I took out, but my 2GB 6950 would have barely fit with it in. There is a cage below this that will fit 2 HDDs. As far as cable management goes, the space behind the motherboard tray and the outer panel of the case is most important. There is about 3/4" in the 912 here and allows even then thick 24-pin motherbard power cable to be routed back here so it is out of the way. Another nice feature is the cutouts in the motherboard tray. These three things combined are more important than looks in my book. I just happen to like the looks of the HAF series also. This was my first build and went together flawlessly. Another thing you can do to aid in cable management is get a modular power supply.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product