Display freezes but CPU still runs

Status
Not open for further replies.

romelako

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Hello everyone. I've been having a problem that has only been happening recently. My computer display would just completely freeze, but my CPU would still be running (my music would still be playing perfectly). However, just recently, my display froze and the sound on the YouTube video that I was watching began getting distorted and drawn out. After a few seconds, my computer recovered and resumed at a normal speed, which is weird because it usually just freezes and I'm forced to manually turn off the system.

Here are my specs.

[strike]I don't suspect it to be an overheating problem because my computer runs absolutely fine with my GPU-hungry games like Starcraft 2 and World of Warcraft. I would imagine that it would be evident in those games because they require a lot of "usage" on the computer and would cause more heat build-up.[/strike]

[strike]The freezes seem to only occur when I have Firefox open (of course this could only be a coincidence) and it's usually when I'm listening to something (although there has been a time where it completely just froze and I wasn't playing anything).
[/strike]
I'm extremely confused because this is a relatively new computer and I've gone through hotter days (I live in California) and it didn't freeze up like this.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advanced.

EDIT: I have uninstalled Firefox and installed Google Chrome and the problem still persists in it. So I don't think it was Firefox. I'm thinking this is a hardware problem, but I don't understand where the problem lies. I would think it's the memory, but I still freeze when I'm doing something like watching a video (which hardly uses any memory.)

What I've done:
But what could cause the problem? I did a complete scan of my computer, updated all of my drivers, and monitored my CPU temperatures. My max temperature for my GPU was 72C, and that's when I was gaming. My CPU doesn't go over 60C and idles @ 40C-45C. I don't seem to lag when I'm just browsing but the moment I start using anything with framerate (playing video games or watching YouTube videos), there will be times where I freeze, or the audio will loop for a split second.
I opened up my computer and tried to check for anything dangling or not plugged in. I didn't see anything particularly wrong with any of my connections and it's been a while since I've opened up my computer.

Any other ideas?

kong911

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
do you have firefox hardware-accelerated Flash?...you might want to disable that. I have the same problem, once I disabled Flash hardware-accelerated, the comp is good.

I think it's a bug. Firefox is notorious for memory-leak if you have lots of add-ons.

romelako

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Problem is recurring. All of my Realtek drivers and GPU drivers are up to date and the problem keeps happening. The sound gets all drawn out and robotic and I'm forced to manually turn my computer off. What could this be?

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Do you have an overclocking program running like EasyTuner? Whenever I use EasyTuner that came with my Gigabyte motherboard it would distort the sound being played for about 10 seconds and then it returns back to normal. I think there might be a background process trying to access your entire computer to change some settings.

romelako

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011

No I do not. This computer NEVER used to do this. I've had it for several months and it has only started happening NOW. I've run virus scans and updated all of my drivers but it keeps happening.

romelako

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
I just downloaded Google Chrome but the problem is still persisting. I'll be listening to something and all of a sudden, the sound will just keep repeating and eventually freeze my entire computer. Is this a viral problem or a hardware problem? Please help!

3xch4ng3

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

Have you tested the system at all with testing / benchmark software? I would start with the Memory and test it outside of Windows to see if there's any hardware problems.

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

I would download the USB Bootable Version and follow this guide if needed: http://nerdboys.com/2009/10/17/how-to-run-memtest86-on-a-bootable-usb-flash-drive/

Run the test for 5 complete test and see if there's any errors. Let me know the results.

If it has been done but still problematic, Unistall your firefox and install it again from scratch, if can wear the latest soft like FF5 Final, Disable Link Scanner your, it also includes one of the causes of Mozilla Firefox often crashes and Freeze.
it still crashes, go clean your computer memory or RAM on your computer or take a ram which is roughly already weak / not in pairs, or memtest86+ try to turn on your computer, Another way Uninsitall antivirus you are using, and then reinstall again the antivirus update files usually exist that have not finished so make mozilla crash, Check the software or applications that you use the trial version, at the time of expiration will always appear the message registers, upgrades, etc., it will also interfere with your browser. And the last option reinstall clean OS :D

romelako

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011

The problem doesn't lie with Mozilla Firefox. I've completely uninstalled it and I'm now using Google Chrome, but the problem is still persisting.

Any other ideas?

romelako

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
But what could cause the problem? I did a complete scan of my computer, updated all of my drivers, and monitored my CPU temperatures. My max temperature for my GPU was 72C, and that's when I was gaming. My CPU doesn't go over 60C and idles @ 40C-45C. I don't seem to lag when I'm just browsing but the moment I start using anything with framerate (playing video games or watching YouTube videos), there will be times where I freeze, or the audio will loop for a split second.

romelako

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011

I don't believe that's true. I've had Mozilla Firefox the past 4-5 months I've had this computer and I've never experienced issues like this before. Google Chrome cannot be the reason why this is happening.

I opened up my computer and tried to check for anything dangling or not plugged in. I didn't see anything particularly wrong with any of my connections and it's been a while since I've opened up my computer.

Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.