Sign in with
Your question

Question about 2x4-pin to 6-pin adapter for 5850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 13, 2011 8:47:14 PM

So I'm looking to buy an ATI Radeon 5850, and it says it requires two 6-pin connectors from the PSU.

Problem is that I only have one 6 pin connector...

So I looked around and found out about these "2x4-pin to 6-pin" adapters, but I don't even know if I have 2 open 4-pins...

I guess I just want to know how/what to do to install the 2x4-pin adapter, and where the 2 4-pin connectors should go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks,

-Matt

EDIT: Here's some info from a PSU calculator, of what my PC will be after the 5850:

System Type: Single Processor
Motherboard: Regular - Desktop
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 2800 MHz Propus
CPU Utilization (TDP): 85% TDP
RAM: 2 Sticks DDR3 SDRAM
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 5850
Video Type: Single Card
Regular SATA: 1 HDD
DVD-ROM Drive: 1 Drive
Additional PCI Card (avg): 1 Card
USB: 2 Devices
Fans
Regular: 1 Fan 140mm;
LED: 1 Fan 120mm; 1 Fan 140mm;
Keyboard & Mouse: Yes
System Load: 90 %
Capacitor Aging: 20 %

Recommended PSU Wattage: 404 Watts

February 13, 2011 9:00:58 PM

Actually I think I found a second 4-pin molex connector.

Just to make sure, what should it look like?

-Matt
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 10:25:59 PM

THe Molex connectors are what are used for older IDE type HDDs and CD,DVD drives and some Fans have them also if not connected to the MOBO. Main thing in using them is to be sure that the 2 you use are not also running other things (should come straight from the PSU to the molex connector without splicing off to other things like the DVD player or HDD (otherwise under heavy use there may not be enough stable power provided to run the video card and those devices causing the system to shut down if both are being used.) - instead if needed you can split ones that are running HDDs and DVD drives or Fans since they use less power than the video card so several can be run from one connector after splicing\splitting.
Related resources
February 15, 2011 6:56:57 PM

Okay, sorry for the late reply:

It seems that one of the two 4-pin molex connectors' wires leading from the PSU to the 4-pin also connect to the HDD.

Would I still be able to use this in the adapter? If not, what should I do?
February 15, 2011 7:49:05 PM

My PSU is 585w by the way, 80+ rating and it seems to have 36A (not sure exactly what this is/if it matters).
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2011 8:27:48 PM

matteumayo said:
Okay, sorry for the late reply:

It seems that one of the two 4-pin molex connectors' wires leading from the PSU to the 4-pin also connect to the HDD.

Would I still be able to use this in the adapter? If not, what should I do?

Are there other Molex connections going to other devices (like Fans, cd\dvd player other HDD) -- If so use the other end of the HDD one to run to the other device and free up a second line that is not running anything else for the video card (the video cards should have a connection straight from the PSU to the Video card without being split off to anything else otherwise under full load it may make the system unstable.
February 15, 2011 8:37:35 PM

JDFan said:
Are there other Molex connections going to other devices (like Fans, cd\dvd player other HDD) -- If so use the other end of the HDD one to run to the other device and free up a second line that is not running anything else for the video card (the video cards should have a connection straight from the PSU to the Video card without being split off to anything else otherwise under full load it may make the system unstable.

Ah okay.

So I should look for a third 4-pin that goes straight from the PSU to something else, and then swap that one for the open 4-pin that is also split with the HDD?

Just want to make sure that's what you said.
February 15, 2011 9:18:21 PM

Okay, I may have another problem.

So I have 3 molex 4-pin connectors total.

1 is near the top of the case, but can be lowered, I just have to cut this harness thing around it.

The other 2 are connected.

So one is connected to the other, and then THAT one is connected to this thin wire and a couple SATA power connectors, one of which isn't in use.

So, 1 is connected to some random thin wires, 1 HDD, and one unused SATA power connector.

The next one is connected to that one, but other than that it is connected to the PSU only.

Then there is one that isn't connected to anything but the PSU.

What do I do? Should I buy a SATA to 4-pin molex and use that in the 6-pin adapter along with the top one? I have a couple un-used SATA power connectors.

Help! :[
February 15, 2011 9:33:05 PM

This is my PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-339-...

I didn't choose it, it came with my PC from the guy who built it. I didn't know much then but obviously now I would have asked for a better PSU.

I really don't have the cash right now to get a new one, so please try to help me with what I have!
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2011 2:04:05 AM

HEC makes decent PSUs (not the best but not the worst either - they actually make quite a few OEM PSUs that are sold under other names also ) -- so you should be OK with it - the PSU specs you linked says it has 4 Molex connections so perhaps you missed one.

so use the one PCI-e 6 pin and then 2 of the molex connections for the other that leaves 2 Molex connections that you can use for other parts (can use a splitter that turns one connection into 2 connectors if needed on those 2 on things like the HDD\DVD drives Fans etc. since they are pretty low power devices compared to the video card.)
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2011 2:19:58 AM

Okay, I checked out your PSU.

Based on the wire options, the configuration should have on of the lines that runs out of the PSU with 2 Molex. Find this line (it may be the harnessed one), once you locate it, make sure it's not plugged into anything. If it, unplug it and replace it with a connecter from another line. That line with 2 molex should ONLY be plugged into the video card, using the connector you described.

Your PSU is alleged to have 4 molex (meaning one is hiding), because the manufacturer knows the needs and various used, they generally have at least one line with 2 dedicated molex. Also, check to make sure you don't have a fan using one of these connectors, if you do replace it with another molex (as described above).
February 16, 2011 4:29:40 PM

Okay, thanks for the help.

There may be another 4-pin hiding somewhere in the bunch of wires, I'll look for it.

Thanks,
-Matt
!