PC Died, suspect the PSU at fault but not sure?

McNab666

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Hello,

Last night, while on my PC doing nothing more stressful than browsing the internet, my computer (for lack of a more technical term) randomly died.

All power to the PC just went completely out, like during a powercut, however, everything else in the room was fine. Just out of the blue, no bangs, no noise, nothing. So I go to press the power button on the case, nothing. No sign of life.

Thinking this is rather odd seen as I haven't installed any new software for the last few days and that my hardware set up hasn't changed for about two years now, I start tinkering.

I built this PC myself (along with several others) so I know what I'm doing here, and having no signs of life whatsoever, I mean everything is completely dead. These are the only clues I have:

The motherboard LED turns on and off with respect to mains power.

The PSU gives a faint electrical sort of click when I hook up the mains cable to the back of it.

I've also performed the paperclip test, again with no signs of life.

There are no 'bleeps' from the motherboard.

Now, I've tried rewiring everything, I've tried only connecting the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and PSU, I've tried resetting the various jumper sets on the motherboard, I've even tried breadboarding the beast, all to absolutely no avail.

So yeah, I'm completely at a lost as to what the problem is. Normally I have spare parts kicking around to try out, except I don't, and I really don't have the money to go experiementing with new parts.

Ideally I need to know whether a new PSU will solve it, other whether *gulp* its the motherboard.

Here are my system specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair)
Motherboard: ASUS P5QL-E iP43 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
RAM: 4x Kingston 2GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 HyperX Memory CL5 1.85V
HDD: 3x Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4890
Sound Card: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum

I hope you guys will be able to help, thanks in advance :)

McNab666

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Also, how foolish of me to forget, the PSU in question is a Jeantech 575W (I think, some cheap job from PC World that worked in a crisis) Model: JN120F-600AP12V2.

Lobodomy

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Perhaps this might help? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xLy8rZRjU8

I really don't know how to check, so I googled it for you (assuming you haven't tried that). I don't like to see someone not receive help in 2 days, so I figured I'd try to help even if I know nothing about it :p

Might be a better idea if you don't listen to me though, as I don't know what I'm talking about!