A Power Supply Fault?

Last response: in Systems
April 20, 2011 11:08:41 AM

I am building a system, using the following components

GA-H55M-USB3 Motherboard
Intel i3-540 LGA1156 Processor
Patriot Signature 4gb Ddr3 1333 Cl9 D/C Memory
OCZ StealthXStream 2 500W Power Supply

Nothing else is attached at this stag except for the standard fan that came with the CPU, which is connected to the CPU fan connector. The power switch is the only front panel connection.

I am having difficulty getting it to power up.

If I connect the ATX power cable and the ATX_12X_2X4 (the 8 pin), nothing happens, not even a flicker of fan, light or screen

If I connect the ATX power cable and the 4 pin power connector labelled P3 on the socket it powers up and goes to the bios and then looks for an OS.

Is this a problem with the Power Supply or is there another solution/is it a problem?

At the moment the machine is has no storage or optical drives, when in use it will have a small SSD and a couple of 2TB and will be build as a Vortexbox (a Linux distro).

More about : power supply fault

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
April 20, 2011 12:01:03 PM

MikeBOSoft said:

If I connect the ATX power cable and the ATX_12X_2X4 (the 8 pin), nothing happens, not even a flicker of fan, light or screenIf I connect the ATX power cable and the 4 pin power connector labelled P3 on the socket it powers up and goes to the bios and then looks for an OS.

Is this a problem with the Power Supply or is there another solution/is it a problem ?

Considering the fact that the SXSII 500 doesn't have an 8 pin EPS connector ( or 4+4, or 2x4 ) I'd say it was a problem, just not neccessarily with the psu.
April 20, 2011 12:19:37 PM

Thanks, I have just discovered my mistake, I was using the PCI-E connector, which fits into the connection - all the pin shapes are correct, but obviously isn't right.

One thing that confused me was that the box has been modified with a sticky label that says

4 pin CPU; 1 x 4-8 adapter.

Thanks again.

m
l
Related resources
April 20, 2011 2:39:23 PM

No there wasn't though it was an E-bay acquisition.
m
l
May 8, 2011 1:41:52 PM

Best answer selected by MikeBOSoft.
m
l
!