Computer Restarting/Shutdown on startup 2600K, GB UD4 HELP

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Computers
  • Shutdown
Last response: in CPUs
July 20, 2011 2:16:44 PM

Hi Guys,

After just upgrading my computer today to the new sandy bridge line im experiencing some problems with the computer. I am unsure what it is, so i thought i should post here as im a little worried. The symtoms are whenever i go to turn on the PC or restart, it sometimes has trouble "starting up"in that it will start, load the motherboard logo and then Suddnely shut down and 2 seconds later restart. This happens 80% of the time the PC is booting up (especially if i click "DEL" to enter BIOS - weird?) So if i leave it, it usually just starts up fine? Once started and into windows i havnt experienced any random shut downs.

ALSO:: Ive stressed tested the CPU with prime 95 and it ran for 10mins without any problems, but i stopped because the temperature was around 72 so didnt want to hammer it with that PSU...

The specs are:
Core i7 2600K
gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3
Gskill 1333 DDR 8GB
Nvidia 9600GT
Thermaltake 450W PSU
Standard Intel Cooler btw

I know my power supply sucks for this setup but is that the problem? Ive actually ordered a Corsair TX950 but its 2 weeks away. So wanted to put the stuff in now....hopefully that wasnt a bad idea?

Can you guys let me know what your ideas are? I would really appreciate any thoughts or experience on the issue.

More about : computer restarting shutdown startup 2600k ud4

a b à CPUs
July 20, 2011 5:35:46 PM

I've had an Abit board that did that along with a couple of Asus boards, I would suspect a dodgy motherboard or at the very least something amiss in the BIOS.
m
l
July 20, 2011 9:59:17 PM

thanks i tried updating the bios, but the problem persists. So could it be PSU? just weondering wether i should go out and buy one today (thermaltake toughpoer 875W before while im waiting for corsair?)
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2011 10:19:03 PM

I don't think that your PSU is the problem, but I've been wrong before.
m
l
July 20, 2011 10:55:44 PM

Just narrowed it down some more.

The restart ONLY occurs when i hit the reset button on my case....It causes a clear and distincitive boot loop that basically goes like this:
HIT REST and computer restarts
Hits LOGO screen, computer shuts down and then turns back on 3 seconds later
Computer boots up properly

EVERYTIME i hit the reset button and no other time...

Causes?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2011 11:15:10 PM

Dodgy button?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2011 11:42:06 PM

It seems to be a BIOS issue.
m