Windows 7 Ult. 64bit
PhenomII X6 1075T
Asus Crosshair IV Formula Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
MSI R5870 Lightning II Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
Rosewill 600w PSU
WD black 600gb HD
WD black 1tb HD

So the computer boots up great and runs fast, im having a few windows update issues but thats not my main problem. My real issue is that after a seemingly random amount of time of gaming (Homefront, Shogun2, Shattered Horizon, etc.) the computer reboots quickly, the fans keep running and it just restarts. my cpu never goes above 30ish degrees Celsius, mb 40 or 50 and gpu stays around 50- 60c.

I run programs like Furmark fine for thirty minutes or so fine till i get bored, when i run Prime95 on balanced mode "lots of ram" it crashes instantly.

Memtest also crashes the computer after about 5 minutes

The motherboard has little leds for CPU DRAM VGA and then BOOT so i guess its to show when there is an issue, i watched while shogun 2 crashed the computer and first the CPU+DRAM lights flashed, then CPU+ VGA then BOOT and then of course the computer booted lol.

same results low or high settings on games

Best solution

April 20, 2011 4:10:13 PM

You said it crashes on the Prime95 memory test, and then on memtest, which makes me think it could also be a RAM issue. So, pull one RAM module and re-run the tests / gaming etc and see if the same thing happens. If so, swap over the RAM module and repeat.
April 20, 2011 4:14:23 PM

Alright I pulled one out and it crashed on memtest, i did not try the other stick on its own yet though i will do that shortly
m
l
Related resources
April 20, 2011 6:01:44 PM

Ok so, i checked the other stick by itself (dont know why i didnt do that the first time) and played games fine for an hour and ran the prime 95 blend test that insta crashed me with both/first stick and it ran fine on stick 2 for ten minutes before i stopped it

So i guess i will be returning the pair and getting a new set. is that normal for a stick of ram to be able to boot and run windows for a short amount of time but still be bad?
m
l
April 27, 2011 6:31:10 AM

Best answer selected by Frankyherty.
m
l
April 27, 2011 9:31:29 AM

You would want to chek that your mem voltage is set to what is reommended by the manufacturer for whatever speed/timings you are running it at...
m
l
!