Sign in with
Your question

My first upgrade. Display problem!! Please help.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 14, 2011 2:09:52 AM

My friend recently bought me a brand new quad core asus 1630 desktop (no monitor) and I had a vga monitor (native 1680 x 1050). I didn't know what VGA was until I started searching but I realized that the new graphics cards ati 5770 had 2 dvi ports so naturally I use my vga to dvi connector and I'm getting no input. At this point I tug it out pretty bad while trying the 2nd dvi port so some of the metal prongs are stuck in the 2nd dvi port but the first is fine. I then plugged the vga back into my vga slot for my integrated graphics.

1. Why is my vga to dvi adapter not wokring for my monitor and getting no signal?

The new card isn't even being recognized by windows in device manager even though I installed the new drivers. I believe it is running because after I installed, fan is blowing out the airhole out the back (cold air). The display adapter in device manager is AMD 760G which is disabled. In the bios the settings are weird and there isn't a turn off option for the onboard I believe. Any help would be great. Thank you!

2. How to fix my graphics card showing up in device manager (I just did a clean wipe of windows now so I'm clean).
February 14, 2011 3:38:26 AM

shamless bump before I go to bed...
a c 204 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 14, 2011 5:52:24 PM

Let me summarize where I think you are. Looks like you installed a HD5770 and and after connecting, via the DVI to VGA adapter, you got no signal on the monitor. You then tried to move the DVI to VGA adapter to the second DVI connector on the GPU and ended up with a damaged adapter/DVI socket. Is this correct?

Sounds like you are back to your motherboard's integrated video and it is working. Correct?

When you installed the new GPU (video card), did you also connect the external PCI-E 6-pin (or 8-pin) power connection from the power supply to the GPU?

Also, have you been able to remove the broken pins from the DVI port on the GPU (if I understand what happened correctly)?

Last, does your monitor have a DVI port on it? If so, do you have a DVI cable?

Just trying to get some more background clarity to be able to help you resolve the problem.
Related resources
February 14, 2011 8:07:18 PM

I finally solved my problem after posting it in another section of the forums and after reading their answers (which actually didn't help at all). It got me thinking. I solved it after 7 hours about. See with my old computer, when you turn on the monitor then the computer to start up... I almost immediately see my screen pop up with a green light and can see everything going on with the screen like it should be. With the vga-dvi adapter & new gpu with the new computer, every time I start up it takes 3-4 seconds before the screen lights up so I can see. It's amber (power saving mode? I don't know what amber light means again) for 3-4 seconds then goes green and screen comes up with the new computer...

So what the problem was when I first was sitting at my new computer after I installed the new psu and new gpu, I plugged the vga-dvi adapter in and the monitor didn't come up. I actually unplugged it before those 3-4 seconds it takes to load the screen up which didn't happen with my old computer. I had thought something was wrong with the adapter / monitor / something else so I started trouble shooting in the wrong direction. Then I reformatted windows and I reseted the bios and disabled the old intagrated graphics and plugging the normal vga to dvi into the gpu now solved all the rest of the problems.

So all in all I'm good to go!!!
Thanks... mods you can close!
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 14, 2011 8:30:11 PM

I can't follow the logic in this thread.
February 14, 2011 9:35:39 PM

Let me edit it then for you -_-
!