9800 GX2 Driver Issue (Code 43)

asfraczek

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
I have 3 feforce 9800gx2 video cards. I ran 2 of them in a SLI mode for about 1.5 years without any problems and the 3-rd one was put away as a spare. On two occasions I had a crash (blue screen), but recovered, but in the last two weeks several of them (problem with display adapter, timeout failed). After a several attempts I managed to start my computer and open my Device Manager. There it was Code 43. Decided to replace my video card (from the first slot) and replaced with my spare one. It worked for about a day. Now all 3 cards are showing dreaded Code 43.
I up-dated the drivers, rolled back drivers, restored Windows 7 to an earlier date, run single card in a first slot and can't get rid off the Code 43.
It is so strange that so suddenly all 3 cards went like that.
I start looking, first through Google, and find that this is a big problem and lots of people are frustrated.
I wonder if anybody managed to resolve this or make since what is wrong; video card or nvidia drivers or windows updates.
Looking forward to see some comments

Andrew

wayygun

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
I also had this issue with my GX2, symptoms are exactly the same as yours. As nforce4max said, check your psu first. Mine was fine so I thought it was a driver issue so I tried literally every single driver from 160 to 265 without luck. Then I found a post with a guy saying that he fixed his GX2 by baking it at 385 degrees for 10 minutes. I tried it, and now my card works like new again.

fleadaddy

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012

That is so funny. Baking the card? Did you do it in the oven? It did not melt the fan or plastic parts? When I was a kid in AZ we used to go into the river and get all the radios people dropped in the water when tubing. We let them bake in the hot sun for 3 days and every single one work after that. We actually hosed the dirt off of them first. It also worked with a tv that I had that got flooded.

I am baking an old 7950 card I have that does not work. I have to try it!! Super funny I wonder if this is what they call factory re-conditioned? eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

My ex used to work at the Motorola plant and I know they baked all the boards that came out of that plant and they were being tested at the same time.