Sign in with
Your question

Intel DP43BF bios reset?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 31, 2012 4:09:48 AM

Hi all,

I'm new on here and have a problem (shocker).

I had an old Dell 537s pc that was hit by lightning and I determined the motherboard was dead. It sported a Q8200S Quad Core processor that I didn't want to just throw away. Long story short, I purchased an Intel DP43BF motherboard for cheap to get me back and running and put it in a different case so I wouldn't have to use the slim power supply. My rig runs off of an Antec Earthwatts 430 watt power supply now.

Here's the problem:
The factory board from Dell was locked (for good reason I found out). This new Intel board wasn't. Reading on a bunch of forums, it sounded like it wouldn't take much to push the Q8200S up to 2.8 GHz. So, there I go into the BIOS settings, and all I did was change the FSB up to 400 from 333 and now I'm stuck in an endless power cycle loop with nothing on my screen, and can't even get back into the BIOS.

My board is weird in that the BIOS jumper config is different than I've seen in the past. Having the jumper on pins 1 and 2 is for "normal" operation, having it on pins 2 and 3 is "config", and having the jumper completely off is for "recovery". I've tried all three different options, including removing the CMOS battery, and nothing has changed, the screen is still black. If I don't have the jumper on at all (in recovery mode), the pc will stay on but wont display a splash screen. If it's on any of the pins, I'm stuck in the power loop. Once this is fixed I'm never messing with it again, bad experience all around..

Any thoughts or insight the community can provide would be a major help, this thing is the brains of my household, as clearly I am not.

80cam
a c 435 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
March 31, 2012 4:31:22 PM

Just remove the board battery for one minute with the power supply unplugged and the cmos jumper in the normal position. Then when it reboots, go back into the bios and set the boot order, smartfan setting, and any ram settings you want to change. If you haven't messed with anything else, it should post. If windows gets stuck in a reboot cycle, try using f6 for safe mode, and see if you can use windows "system restore" option in the security section. You'll need to reset windows to an earlier mode to get rid of the endless cycles.
March 31, 2012 8:10:58 PM

I'm back in action,

This is all I've been thinking/dreaming about since last night at midnight. Got up fresh today and went back at it.

Thank you o1die for your help and suggestions. They didn't work for me simply because the splash screen for BIOS wouldn't come up; it wasn't giving me any kind of beep for POST either. Just a black screen and power cycling. I took the CMOS battery out last night before bed, and put it back in 12 hours later and still nothing. :fou: 

The motherboard I'm using has no kind of onboard video, which would make things much simpler. As I sit here looking at it, I'm using an old 8300 GS made in 2007 in the PCIe slot and an FX 5200 made in 2003 in a regular PCI slot. I use this computer purely for a triple monitor setup.

Here's the fix:

I took out the 8300 GS, hooked a monitor up to the FX 5200, put the BIOS jumper on pins 2 and 3 (config), reseated the RAM, and BOOM, it let me back into the BIOS!! Changed my FSB back to 333 from 400 and it's back to normal.

Seems like an easy fix now that I'm looking back on it, but it gave me gray hairs all night. I am NEVER messing with my processor in BIOS again! If the stock processor isn't the speed I want already, I'm just going to keep looking for a better one. It's not worth it to me after this experience.
!