6970 CrossFireX Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

lVlAtlZiX

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I just got a new B-Day present of two 6970s for my rig, however I noticed that while at load the top card will avg about 90c while the bottom around 70c. I assume this is cuz of the space between the card. I am just wondering if 90c is ok or should I manually keep the fan around 70% to keep it also at 70c.

Solution
I also just got two 6970's in crossfire and I ran into the same problem you did. The way I was able to lower temps was to put my cards into the first and thrid PCIe slot. The only problem that you will run into is the crossfire bridge you were supplied with are too short. So you will have to buy one on ebay for about 10 bucks. They are 10cm long and work great. Or if you have ever had an Asus Deluxe AM2+/AM3 board they actually came with the longer crossfire bridge.

But if you don't have three PCIe slots then the only option is to crank up your fans.
yeah 90c is okay but I would be looking to reduce the temp if you can 70c is much nicer I usually run my fans at around 50-70% on my 6870 to keep the temps in the low 70s (bc its overclocked). Increase the fan speed to around 60 for both cards and test it, you should be fine but remember that those 6970s are beasts so a little heat is to be expected, what a bday gift you are lucky!

johnb0118

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
I also just got two 6970's in crossfire and I ran into the same problem you did. The way I was able to lower temps was to put my cards into the first and thrid PCIe slot. The only problem that you will run into is the crossfire bridge you were supplied with are too short. So you will have to buy one on ebay for about 10 bucks. They are 10cm long and work great. Or if you have ever had an Asus Deluxe AM2+/AM3 board they actually came with the longer crossfire bridge.

But if you don't have three PCIe slots then the only option is to crank up your fans.

Solution

lVlAtlZiX

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I have an ASUS P6X58D Motherboard, but the 3rd slot is so low on the board it wont fit. It barely fits in my case now horizontally, and this is a brand new wider Apollo case. I just wrote two presets one for default and one for the fan at 75% which cools the card to about 68c. The 2nd card acts fine on auto fan at 70c and about 38%.

My board did come with the longer crossfire cable though.

Status
Not open for further replies.