Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Trying to update Cataclysm 10.10 to 11.1a hotfix but...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 14, 2011 6:13:32 AM

after restarting from safe mode, computer doesn't boot. It's stuck in "starting windows" screen.

here's what I have done...
-downloaded Driver Cleaner PRO1.5
-uninstalled all ATI programs in the system using unistaller that came with it
-restart in safe mode, ran DC Pro then removed all ATI programs
-after removing, I then tried to reboot the system and then there comes the problem.

specs:
sapphire 6850
cataclysm 10.10 (removed)
2236vw AOC led
win7 32bit

and here's the log from driver cleaner pro 1.5...
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------
---- Driver Cleaner Professional Edition 1.5
---- 14-02-2011 -- 14:31:02
--------------------------------------------------------
- ATI
- ATI CCC
- ATI HydraVision
- ATI IGP
- ATI MMC
- ATI Remote Wonder
- ATI TV Wonder
- ATI Uninstall Utility
- ATI WDM
File Deleted (C:\Windows\Inf\Ati*.inf)
File Deleted (C:\Windows\Inf\Ati*.PNF)
File Deleted (C:\Windows\system32\atiicdxx.dat)
File Deleted (C:\Windows\system32\ati2edxx.dll)
File Deleted (C:\Windows\system32\atioglxx.dll)
File Deleted (C:\Windows\system32\atipdlxx.dll)
File Deleted (C:\Windows\system32\oemdspif.dll)
File Deleted (C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\ati2erec.dll)
Registry Deleted (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies\CBT)
Registry Deleted (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atierecord)
Registry Deleted (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Atierecord)
Registry Deleted (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{EBB5845F-CA80-11CF-BD3C-008029E89281})
Registry Deleted (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318})
Registry Deleted (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318})
Registry Deleted (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318})
File Deleted (C:\Windows\Prefetch\CLI*.*)
Directory Deleted (C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE)
Directory Deleted (C:\Users\iJc\AppData\Roaming\ATI\ACE)
Directory Deleted (C:\Users\iJc\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE)
Registry Deleted (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ATI)
Registry Deleted (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{71F96462-78F3-11d0-A18C-00A0C9118956})
Registry Deleted (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{266EEE40-6C63-11cf-8A03-00AA006ECB65})
Registry Deleted (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{71F96460-78F3-11d0-A18C-00A0C9118956})

please help. need to fix this right away since this is my boss's pc.
February 14, 2011 7:04:56 AM

I may have removed something I shouldn't have. Should I do repair install, do system restore or just install the 11.1a hotfix driver while in safe mode?
February 14, 2011 12:56:10 PM

I would try doing a system restore to a point prior to doing the uninstall..

Good luck!
Related resources
February 15, 2011 2:44:34 PM

I actually did the system restore and tried doing it again. It now says that I don't have the right driver. So I uninstalled all ATI drivers and then made a fresh install using the installer that came with my graphics card. Before I try and do this again. I would like to know some things first.

1. Should I use a different driver version since 11.1a hotfix Jan26 wouldn't work?
2. Will updating my driver fix the tearing images I'am experiencing when playing Warcraft?Someone told me it would.
3. Can you please link the 11.1a hotfix Jan 26 driver? I might have downloaded a corrupted version.
February 15, 2011 2:52:33 PM

Omis said:
I actually did the system restore and tried doing it again. It now says that I don't have the right driver. So I uninstalled all ATI drivers and then made a fresh install using the installer that came with my graphics card. Before I try and do this again. I would like to know some things first.

1. Should I use a different driver version since 11.1a hotfix Jan26 wouldn't work?
2. Will updating my driver fix the tearing images I'am experiencing when playing Warcraft?Someone told me it would.
3. Can you please link the 11.1a hotfix Jan 26 driver? I might have downloaded a corrupted version.

You didn't get the 11.1a drivers from the AMD page?

1) 11.1a should work if you are using Windows 7 and any ATI graphics card(s)
2) Update your driver AND download and install the Catalyst Application Profiles (there's a profile out there specifically addressing WOW)
3) http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1...

On the AMD 11.1a drivers page, they state the drivers are only for 68xx and 69xx series cards, though they were the only 11.x release that would function with my 5850s. I had no problem with 11.1 on a single-card setup, but 11.1a were the only video drivers that would work with the crossfire setup.
February 15, 2011 5:56:01 PM

I did get it from AMD, and I am 100% sure that I'm using Windows 7 (Ultimate 32bit) and ATI graphics card (HD6850).

I'm going to try 11.1 if 11.1a doesn't work again. BTW just to correct that, I'm not playing WOW. It's just the normal Warcraft III Frozen Throne so I don't need to find that specific profile, right?

Another question before I begin installing the 11.1a driver. Have I done the right steps before? I mean, these steps...

Quote:

Step 1: downloaded Driver Cleaner PRO1.5
Step 2: uninstalled all ATI programs in the system using unistaller that came with it
Step 3: restart in safe mode, ran DC Pro then removed all ATI programs
Step 4: after removing, I then tried to reboot the system and then there comes the problem.

(Step 4 should have been... after removing, reboot and install new driver in normal mode [non safe mode])

Best solution

February 15, 2011 6:19:23 PM

Omis said:
I did get it from AMD, and I am 100% sure that I'm using Windows 7 (Ultimate 32bit) and ATI graphics card (HD6850).

I'm going to try 11.1 if 11.1a doesn't work again. BTW just to correct that, I'm not playing WOW. It's just the normal Warcraft III Frozen Throne so I don't need to find that specific profile, right?

Another question before I begin installing the 11.1a driver. Have I done the right steps before? I mean, these steps...

Quote:

Step 1: downloaded Driver Cleaner PRO1.5
Step 2: uninstalled all ATI programs in the system using unistaller that came with it
Step 3: restart in safe mode, ran DC Pro then removed all ATI programs
Step 4: after removing, I then tried to reboot the system and then there comes the problem.

(Step 4 should have been... after removing, reboot and install new driver in normal mode [non safe mode])

I've never used Driver Cleaner. I use the latest version of Driver Sweeper.

Get Driver Sweeper (http://download.cnet.com/Driver-Sweeper/3000-2094_4-752...) installed on your PC and download AMD drivers 11.1a then follow these steps:

1) Uninstall current drivers using Control Panel->Programs->'Uninstall a Program' and choose ATI Catalyst. When prompted, choose 'Express Uninstall' (don't choose 'Custom Uninstall')
2) Reboot
3) Run Driver Sweeper and 'Clean' the ATI drivers
4) Reboot
5) Install 11.1a

February 15, 2011 6:36:00 PM

Will I be doing this in normal mode or safe mode?
February 15, 2011 6:37:52 PM

11.1 is POS.

After I upgraded to it, my win7 box wouldn't wake from sleep mode because my 6950 wouldn't wake up. Downgraded back to what I had in December and whala....problem fixed.
February 15, 2011 6:37:55 PM

I do it in normal mode every time. If you can't successfully boot to windows normally, do it in safe mode.
February 15, 2011 6:43:27 PM

@ Debeucci
POS?

@ubercake
I'm going to try it now. Hopefully it works. BRB
February 15, 2011 6:49:03 PM

Correction... Download the new 11.2 drivers just released... Try those...

February 15, 2011 10:28:02 PM

Ahh... just got back and I just successfully installed 11.1a. Fall asleep while waiting for the installation. lol Anyway, I'll try 11.1a first, if it doesn't work then i'll try 11.2.

Quick question about Driver Sweeper, it seems like it removed some other applications I have in my computer other than the Catalysm. Is that normal, I mean... does it really do that?
February 15, 2011 10:45:10 PM

You just check off the ATI Driver selection and choose analyse then clean. You got the drivers installed though?
February 15, 2011 11:32:00 PM

Yep, drivers are installed. Haven't tried playing the game since I lost a bunch of applications including Warcraft III TFT, which I'm trying to re-install.

Now I'm not sure if this is related to the above probem but when I re-install Nero 9 essentials (one of program lost), it says it has already successfully installed but when I check, none of it's files are in my pc. Only NeroBackItUp 4 is there. This did not happen before.
February 17, 2011 12:39:59 PM

Omis said:
Yep, drivers are installed. Haven't tried playing the game since I lost a bunch of applications including Warcraft III TFT, which I'm trying to re-install.

Now I'm not sure if this is related to the above probem but when I re-install Nero 9 essentials (one of program lost), it says it has already successfully installed but when I check, none of it's files are in my pc. Only NeroBackItUp 4 is there. This did not happen before.

Hey glad I could help you out with the driver issue.

Nero on the other hand... I haven't used any burning software outside of Windows since they began including it with the OS. I don't know why that wouldn't be working, though. Could be something in the registry?

You should probably try opening a thread under the software section of the forums.
February 17, 2011 1:14:30 PM

Thanks ubercake. Really appreciate it. Maybe I'll try using 11.2 since 11.1a have not fixed the initial problem.
February 17, 2011 1:15:04 PM

Best answer selected by Omis.
February 24, 2011 11:03:05 AM

I know this is already closed but I just updated my driver to 11.2 and the problem is still there. I tried using IGP and there's no problem at all. Haven't tried re-installing Warcraft 3 but can it be that the problem is with the card itself? Please note that this problem only occur when playing Warcraft 3's DotA. Any other games like ME2, Left4Dead 2 and HoN everything is normal.
!