Laptop battery advice

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

What is the best way to use a new laptop?

The manufacturer points out that the battery has a limited number of
recharge cycles and recommends that I fully charge and discharge the battery
every time I use it - but that's not practical.

Most likely I will use the battery for an hour or two and then connect it to
the mains supply. Is that bad for the battery?

Also, what sort of activity drains the battery most? Is there a website
which lists this?

Cheers.

Bobby
26 answers Last reply
More about laptop battery advice
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Bobby wrote:

    > What is the best way to use a new laptop?
    >
    > The manufacturer points out that the battery has a limited number of
    > recharge cycles and recommends that I fully charge and discharge the
    > battery every time I use it - but that's not practical.
    >
    > Most likely I will use the battery for an hour or two and then connect it
    > to the mains supply. Is that bad for the battery?
    >
    > Also, what sort of activity drains the battery most? Is there a website
    > which lists this?
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Bobby

    http://www.surfbaud.co.uk/knowledgebase/
    disclaimer, my site so I'm biased.

    --
    Lithium ion internal and external batteries.
    Internal from £30 External from £75 (trade)

    Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked your site. Some excellent advice - and
    good prices!

    But it seems to me (from reading your site) that Li-ion batteries have a
    limited life (36 months) so it the charge-discharge cycle isn't very
    important since the battery will wither before any bad charging practices
    have an affect. Is that the case? If not, why not?

    Cheers.

    Bobby

    "Guy Fawkes" <look@my.sig> wrote in message
    > Bobby wrote:
    >
    >> What is the best way to use a new laptop?
    >>
    >> The manufacturer points out that the battery has a limited number of
    >> recharge cycles and recommends that I fully charge and discharge the
    >> battery every time I use it - but that's not practical.
    >>
    >> Most likely I will use the battery for an hour or two and then connect it
    >> to the mains supply. Is that bad for the battery?
    >>
    >> Also, what sort of activity drains the battery most? Is there a website
    >> which lists this?
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>
    >> Bobby
    >
    > http://www.surfbaud.co.uk/knowledgebase/
    > disclaimer, my site so I'm biased.
    >
    > --
    > Lithium ion internal and external batteries.
    > Internal from £30 External from £75 (trade)
    > All batteries factory new and guaranteed.
    > http://www.surfbaud.co.uk/
    > e-mail qnirahyy@oyhrlbaqre.pb.hx (www.rot13.com)

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Bobby wrote:

    > Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked your site. Some excellent advice -
    > and good prices!
    >
    > But it seems to me (from reading your site) that Li-ion batteries have a
    > limited life (36 months) so it the charge-discharge cycle isn't very
    > important since the battery will wither before any bad charging practices
    > have an affect. Is that the case? If not, why not?

    the chemical compounds that make up a cell start decaying slowly from the
    moment they are made, the 36 months is a figure I have come up with based
    on experience.

    charge / discharge cycles are also a decaying process, not a binary event,
    eg at x cycles suddenly no more power, it more like something wearing out
    when used hard, maybe emergency stops from 70 mph on a set of tyres

    if you get 500 full charge/discharge cycles per battery most users are only
    going to do a full cycle twice a week, so five years of charge discharge,
    so that level of use isn't likely to kill the battery early.

    discharge / charge full twice a day (it's possible, we have several
    customers who fully discharge / charged > once a day 6 days a week who now
    run off our universal external batteries) and the cycles kill the battery
    in about nine monthd, long before the ageing process.

    there are some analogies to car tyres, fit 4 new one and

    1/ they will age, crack and rot in the garage even if you do zero miles,
    eventually
    2/ they will die very very quickly if you wheelspin away from one set of
    lights and screech to a halt at the next
    3/ they will last longest if used regularly, carefully, sensitively.

    HTH etc

    --
    Lithium ion internal and external batteries.
    Internal from £30 External from £75 (trade)
    All batteries factory new and guaranteed.
    http://www.surfbaud.co.uk/
    e-mail qnirahyy@oyhrlbaqre.pb.hx (www.rot13.com)
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    These batteries will last about 3 years average. The older type NiCads had
    memory problems. It is good to run down the battery every number of months,
    but it is not critical as with the early generation of batteries. I would
    not be overly worried about this.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "Bobby" <bobby@aventuremail.com> wrote in message
    What is the best way to use a new laptop?

    The manufacturer points out that the battery has a limited number of
    recharge cycles and recommends that I fully charge and discharge the battery
    every time I use it - but that's not practical.

    Most likely I will use the battery for an hour or two and then connect it to
    the mains supply. Is that bad for the battery?

    Also, what sort of activity drains the battery most? Is there a website
    which lists this?

    Cheers.

    Bobby

    There have been 3 different battery systems used in laptops, NiCad, NiMH
    and Lithium. Some of the advice still being given out (on systems with
    Lithium batteries) is old, outdated advice that was only applicable to
    NiCad (the oldest and by far the worst of the 3 technologies).

    All of the batteries do have a limited number of discharge cycles. The
    number is typically in the range of 300 to 500 for lithium batteries.
    It's not totally clear to me how this applies to partial cycles.

    The "full charge and discharge" advice only applies to NiCad batteries.
    There is no need to do this for Lithium batteries and it may even be
    harmful. Lithium batteries last longest if they are discharged below
    about 20% to 25%. [Some people say they should also not be charged
    above about 95%]. Manufacturers recommend long term storage of lithium
    batteries at about half-charge, but personally I've stored them fully
    charged and not seen significant adverse effects (and I have quite a few
    10-year old lithium batteries that will still run a laptop for 2 hours).

    Bobby wrote:

    > What is the best way to use a new laptop?
    >
    > The manufacturer points out that the battery has a limited number of
    > recharge cycles and recommends that I fully charge and discharge the battery
    > every time I use it - but that's not practical.
    >
    > Most likely I will use the battery for an hour or two and then connect it to
    > the mains supply. Is that bad for the battery?
    >
    > Also, what sort of activity drains the battery most? Is there a website
    > which lists this?
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Bobby

    Ooops. "Lithium batteries last longest if they are discharged below
    about 20% to 25%" should read "if they are NOT discharged below about
    20% to 25%"

    Just a minor omission there ......

    Barry Watzman wrote:

    > There have been 3 different battery systems used in laptops, NiCad, NiMH
    > and Lithium. Some of the advice still being given out (on systems with
    > Lithium batteries) is old, outdated advice that was only applicable to
    > NiCad (the oldest and by far the worst of the 3 technologies).
    >
    > All of the batteries do have a limited number of discharge cycles. The
    > number is typically in the range of 300 to 500 for lithium batteries.
    > It's not totally clear to me how this applies to partial cycles.
    >
    > The "full charge and discharge" advice only applies to NiCad batteries.
    > There is no need to do this for Lithium batteries and it may even be
    > harmful. Lithium batteries last longest if they are discharged below
    > about 20% to 25%. [Some people say they should also not be charged
    > above about 95%]. Manufacturers recommend long term storage of lithium
    > batteries at about half-charge, but personally I've stored them fully
    > charged and not seen significant adverse effects (and I have quite a few
    > 10-year old lithium batteries that will still run a laptop for 2 hours).
    >

    > Bobby wrote:
    >
    >> What is the best way to use a new laptop?
    >>
    >> The manufacturer points out that the battery has a limited number of
    >> recharge cycles and recommends that I fully charge and discharge the
    >> battery every time I use it - but that's not practical.
    >>
    >> Most likely I will use the battery for an hour or two and then connect
    >> it to the mains supply. Is that bad for the battery?
    >>
    >> Also, what sort of activity drains the battery most? Is there a
    >> website which lists this?
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>
    >> Bobby

    Thanks for this Barry.

    Your advice appears to be consistent with something else I read - the Li Ion
    batteries do not suffer from the memory effect.

    So it sounds to me that the "normal" full charge/partial discharge cycle
    (which is the natural way to use a laptop i.e. connected to the main most of
    the time but occasionally used on the battery for an hour or two) is best
    for these batteries?

    I was advised the fully charge and fully discharge the battery when its new.
    Is that advice sound?

    Bobby

    Bobby wrote:

    > I was advised the fully charge and fully discharge the battery when its new.
    > Is that advice sound?

    My Li Ion battery came fully charged from Dell.. I thought that was
    strange, but it's probably part of their pre-shipment testing. Has
    anyone else ever received a laptop battery fully charged out of the box?

    Compared to NiCad, Lithium batteries do not have the "memory effect",
    and don't need to be fully chaged/discharged (which was related to the
    memory effect). However, almost everyone advises to do a full charge,
    then a nearly full discharge (but not below about 20%), then a recharge
    on the first use of a new lithim battery. I don't have any experience
    to either refute or support that, but it's a nearly universal
    recommendation.

    There is certainly nothing wrong with cycling the battery (substantial
    discharge & recharge), that is, indeed, the expected application. The
    number of cycles is limited and finite, but moderately large (hundreds).

    Bobby wrote:

    > Thanks for this Barry.
    >
    > Your advice appears to be consistent with something else I read - the Li Ion
    > batteries do not suffer from the memory effect.
    >
    > So it sounds to me that the "normal" full charge/partial discharge cycle
    > (which is the natural way to use a laptop i.e. connected to the main most of
    > the time but occasionally used on the battery for an hour or two) is best
    > for these batteries?
    >
    > I was advised the fully charge and fully discharge the battery when its new.
    > Is that advice sound?
    >
    > Bobby
    >
    > "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Ooops. "Lithium batteries last longest if they are discharged below about
    >>20% to 25%" should read "if they are NOT discharged below about 20% to
    >>25%"
    >>
    >>Just a minor omission there ......
    >>

    >>Barry Watzman wrote:
    >>

    >>>There have been 3 different battery systems used in laptops, NiCad, NiMH
    >>>and Lithium. Some of the advice still being given out (on systems with
    >>>Lithium batteries) is old, outdated advice that was only applicable to
    >>>NiCad (the oldest and by far the worst of the 3 technologies).
    >>>
    >>>All of the batteries do have a limited number of discharge cycles. The
    >>>number is typically in the range of 300 to 500 for lithium batteries.
    >>>It's not totally clear to me how this applies to partial cycles.
    >>>
    >>>The "full charge and discharge" advice only applies to NiCad batteries.
    >>>There is no need to do this for Lithium batteries and it may even be
    >>>harmful. Lithium batteries last longest if they are discharged below
    >>>about 20% to 25%. [Some people say they should also not be charged above
    >>>about 95%]. Manufacturers recommend long term storage of lithium
    >>>batteries at about half-charge, but personally I've stored them fully
    >>>charged and not seen significant adverse effects (and I have quite a few
    >>>10-year old lithium batteries that will still run a laptop for 2 hours).

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    In message <3dm8mhF6qv4hhU1@individual.net>, Bobby
    <bobby@aventuremail.com> writes

    >Also, what sort of activity drains the battery most? Is there a website
    >which lists this?

    my laptop on the move when there isn't a handy power station outlet
    socket to hand. Not entering WIN at the prompt means that a charge will
    last several days instead of several hours. I think we've become so
    obsessed with Windows sodware that we've forgotten what excellent
    non-Windows software there is around. I even found USB2 drivers on the
    Jumbo website, and I use Goldenhawk's (Jeff Jarold) DVD/RW/CD software
    to write CD-ROMs.

    --
    James Follett. Novelist. (G1LXP) http://www.jamesfollett.dswilliams.co.uk
    "Return of the Eagles", the last book in James Follett's 'Eagles' trilogy

    JF wrote:
    > In message <3dm8mhF6qv4hhU1@individual.net>, Bobby
    > <bobby@aventuremail.com> writes
    >
    >> Also, what sort of activity drains the battery most? Is there a
    >> website which lists this?

    > using my laptop on the move when there isn't a handy power station
    > outlet socket to hand. Not entering WIN at the prompt means that a
    > charge will last several days instead of several hours. I think we've
    > become so obsessed with Windows sodware that we've forgotten what
    > excellent non-Windows software there is around. I even found USB2
    > drivers on the Jumbo website, and I use Goldenhawk's (Jeff Jarold)
    > DVD/RW/CD software to write CD-ROMs.
    >
    > --
    > James Follett. Novelist. (G1LXP)
    > http://www.jamesfollett.dswilliams.co.uk "Return of the Eagles", the
    > last book in James Follett's 'Eagles' trilogy published by Severn
    > House, London & New York, Dec 2004

    True, Word for Dos is almost as good as Winword once you master the command
    structure, and loading it is so quick you can have a letter typed whilst
    WinXP is booting!

    Dennis.

    --
    Digital Photo-charts fo all UK areas.
    Remove 'nospam' to reply.

    In article <FQPzSGDysldCFwLw@marage.demon.co.uk>, JF
    <jf@NOSPAMmarage.demon.co.uk> writes
    >In message <3dm8mhF6qv4hhU1@individual.net>, Bobby
    ><bobby@aventuremail.com> writes
    >
    >>Also, what sort of activity drains the battery most? Is there a website
    >>which lists this?

    >my laptop on the move when there isn't a handy power station outlet
    >socket to hand. Not entering WIN at the prompt means that a charge will
    >last several days instead of several hours. I think we've become so
    >obsessed with Windows sodware that we've forgotten what excellent
    >non-Windows software there is around. I even found USB2 drivers on the
    >Jumbo website, and I use Goldenhawk's (Jeff Jarold) DVD/RW/CD software
    >to write CD-ROMs.

    Do you have a link for this Jumbo website? My Googling overwhelmed me!

    Regards
    --
    Roger Hunt
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    In message <XJkDGIAMModCFwZj@carewg.demon.co.uk>, Roger Hunt
    <x@carewg.demon.co.uk> writes

    >>>Also, what sort of activity drains the battery most? Is there a website
    >>>which lists this?

    >>my laptop on the move when there isn't a handy power station outlet
    >>socket to hand.
    >> I even found USB2 drivers on the
    >>Jumbo website, and I use Goldenhawk's (Jeff Jarold) DVD/RW/CD software
    >>to write CD-ROMs.
    >>
    >Do you have a link for this Jumbo website? My Googling overwhelmed me!

    Apologies. It's http://www.jumbo.com/

    I haven't looked at it for some time. There were pages of DOS drivers.

    I contest the contention that a laptop could run "for days" no matter
    what software you were running. If the laptop is in use, the screen
    backlights and the hard drive motors will be running. A laptop running
    windows will typically run for 2-3 hours on a battery charge. The most
    that you could possibly, in the most extreme case hope for with any
    software change of any kind (but with the laptop still on and actually
    being used in a useful manner) would be to double or triple that, but I
    would guess that you'd be lucky to get 20% to 40% more time.

    I think that this is just "MS Bashing".

    Barry Watzman wrote:
    > I contest the contention that a laptop could run "for days" no matter
    > what software you were running. If the laptop is in use, the screen
    > backlights and the hard drive motors will be running. A laptop running
    > windows will typically run for 2-3 hours on a battery charge. The most
    > that you could possibly, in the most extreme case hope for with any
    > software change of any kind (but with the laptop still on and actually
    > being used in a useful manner) would be to double or triple that, but I
    > would guess that you'd be lucky to get 20% to 40% more time.
    >
    > I think that this is just "MS Bashing".

    DOS is made by MS too remember?
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    In article <y+5e5$AolrdCFwOH@marage.demon.co.uk>, JF
    <jf@NOSPAMmarage.demon.co.uk> writes
    >In message <XJkDGIAMModCFwZj@carewg.demon.co.uk>, Roger Hunt
    ><x@carewg.demon.co.uk> writes

    >>>my laptop on the move when there isn't a handy power station outlet
    >>>socket to hand.
    >>> I even found USB2 drivers on the
    >>>Jumbo website, and I use Goldenhawk's (Jeff Jarold) DVD/RW/CD software
    >>>to write CD-ROMs.
    >>>
    >>Do you have a link for this Jumbo website? My Googling overwhelmed me!
    >
    >Apologies. It's http://www.jumbo.com/
    >
    >I haven't looked at it for some time. There were pages of DOS drivers.

    I must confess that I was too dim to try typing in www.jumbo.com!
    Hey-ho.
    Thanks for that - always good to have these resources handy.
    --
    Roger Hunt

    > Compared to NiCad, Lithium batteries do not have the "memory effect",
    > and don't need to be fully chaged/discharged (which was related to the
    > memory effect). However, almost everyone advises to do a full charge,
    > then a nearly full discharge (but not below about 20%), then a recharge
    > on the first use of a new lithim battery. I don't have any experience
    > to either refute or support that, but it's a nearly universal
    > recommendation.
    >
    > There is certainly nothing wrong with cycling the battery (substantial
    > discharge & recharge), that is, indeed, the expected application. The
    > number of cycles is limited and finite, but moderately large (hundreds).

    You can often find what to do. but not why to do it.

    The first time you use a Lithium battery, the advise is to discharge it
    until the monitor circuit cuts it off. This is not for the benefit of the
    battery itself, but to calibrate the charge monitor circuit. This should be
    repeated every few months.

    It makes no difference how far you discharge a lithium battery (as long as
    you don't overdo it). You strike 15-20% of its capacity for every 100
    charge/discharge cycles. To clarify: that's 100 charge and discharge where
    it's fully discharged every time. Or 200 cycles where it is only 50%
    discharged or any combination and permutation thereof.

    There is also a time penalty. Generally a battery loses 20% of its capacity
    for every year it is fully charged and stored at 25 Celcius. Lower
    temperatures (*NOT* below zero Celcius), it lasts longer. Lower charge, it
    lasts longer. If not used, they are best stored at 40% charge in a fridge.

    Although Lithium bateries offer the highest energy capacity for size and
    weight of any currently available technology, they also have by far the
    shortest life,

    Incidentally, Nickel Cadmium batteries do not have (and never have) had a
    'memory effect'. This was something dreampt up by the marketing men trying
    to persuade us to buy the much more expensive (at the time) Nickel
    Metal-Hydride batteries. The ironic part is that Ni-MiH batteries do suffer
    from a phenomenon that appears to be similar to 'memory effect' called
    voltage depression. The belief in the memory effect is a symptom of an
    unrelated problem that occurs in little used Ni-Cd cells (Nickel whisker
    growth).

    "Michael Lee" <gte980p@prism.gatech.edu> wrote in message
    > Bobby wrote:
    >
    > > I was advised the fully charge and fully discharge the battery when its
    new.
    > > Is that advice sound?
    >
    > My Li Ion battery came fully charged from Dell.. I thought that was
    > strange, but it's probably part of their pre-shipment testing. Has
    > anyone else ever received a laptop battery fully charged out of the box?

    All Lithium Ion batteries are shipped fully charged. That's how they come
    off the production line. It also gives them the longest possible shelf
    life.

    Re:

    Lithium bateries ... also have by far the
    shortest life,

    Nickel Cadmium batteries do not have (and never have) had a 'memory
    effect'. This was something dreampt up by the marketing men trying to
    persuade us to buy the much more expensive (at the time) Nickel
    Metal-Hydride batteries.

    Anyone on this board who has had any significant amount of experience
    with both NiCad and Lithium batteries knows that both of those
    statements are categorically wrong.

    In fact, the "memory effect" was widely discussed decades ago, when
    there was alternative to NiCad batteries.

    Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 14:33:18 GMT

    There have been 3 different battery systems used in laptops,
    NiCad, NiMH and Lithium. Some of the advice still being given
    out (on systems with Lithium batteries) is old, outdated advice
    that was only applicable to NiCad (the oldest and by far the
    worst of the 3 technologies)...

    Hi Barry... Ni-Cad the worst? It depends on the application. As it
    is believed among RC enthusiast that Ni-Cad can handle lots of
    vibrations and not suffer any damage. Unlike Ni-MH. And many CMOS
    batteries for laptops are still using Ni-Cad. So I wouldn't
    necessary call it the worst of the three. My Sharp PC-4501 ('89 era)
    actually uses the fourth battery type called Lead-Acid (Pb).

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

    BillW50 wrote:

    > necessary call it the worst of the three. My Sharp PC-4501 ('89 era)
    > actually uses the fourth battery type called Lead-Acid (Pb).

    My talking Alphie Robot computer from the 80s (taught me how to talk and
    count) used a fifth battery type based on zinc-manganese-dioxide called
    alkaline. Unfortunately, it exploded when I attempted to recharge it. :)

    Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 13:29:33 -0400

    BillW50 wrote:

    > necessary call it the worst of the three. My Sharp PC-4501 ('89 era)
    > actually uses the fourth battery type called Lead-Acid (Pb).

    My talking Alphie Robot computer from the 80s (taught me how to
    talk and count) used a fifth battery type based on zinc-
    manganese-dioxide called alkaline. Unfortunately, it exploded
    when I attempted to recharge it. :)

    That's very interesting Michael... While I have lots of luck with
    the first four rechargeable battery types. But this rechargeable
    zinc-manganese-dioxide battery stuff I never had much luck with. It
    appears that you haven't either. <sigh> Although 2 out of 4 AA
    batteries are still kicking. Those things leak too easy when
    recharged for me. Although I never had an explosion. <grin>

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

    In my view, NiCads are the worst. Almost unconditionally. Very short
    life (both shelf life and use life), memory effect, just overall
    terrible. RC may be an exception, as vibration is not a consideration
    in almost any other application.

    SLA (sealed lead acid) normally isn't used for laptops, so I didn't
    include it, but you are correct it's a 4th major category of
    rechargeable battery, a derivative, of course, of the automobile battery
    but sealed and leakproof. Virtually all UPS' use them.

    Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 18:47:33 GMT

    In my view, NiCads are the worst. Almost unconditionally. Very
    short life (both shelf life and use life), memory effect, just
    overall terrible. RC may be an exception, as vibration is not a
    consideration in almost any other application.

    Hi Barry... I've heard that Ni-Cads will chemically break down after
    7 years no matter what. But I still have 30 year old Ni-Cads that
    are still kicking. Not good enough to use for practical
    applications, since they only have a capacity of 1/10th of what they
    are rated for. While those that I have are 20 years old, are about
    holding 1/3rd of their rated capacity. So I don't think Ni-Cads are
    really the worst. Although they are one of the worst for weight vs.
    capacity. But sometimes this isn't an issue.

    Ni-Cads and memory effect? I generally drain them pretty low anyway
    during use, so I can't comment too much about this. So this could be
    indeed a problem for sure, but I can't swear to it. But my Toshiba
    2595XDVD laptops use Ni-Cads for the CMOS. And they are now pushing
    6 years old and no problems at all. And one of them often never gets
    AC or power for 4 to 6 months at a time (it's a backup for the other
    one). So it is doing its job for now for 6 years. So I wouldn't
    discount Ni-Cad batteries at all.

    I do have what is called a Triton battery charger/discharger that is
    a really smart charger/discharger (charges all four types that we
    have talked about). And when I try to recycle Ni-Cad batteries, the
    2nd and sometimes the 3rd cycle, those Ni-Cads really come back to
    life. But further cycles only result in much less of a capacity.
    This I don't know why?

    One of the big benefits of Ni-Cads is that they can take a lot of
    abuse. Meaning you can quickly and overcharge them with little or no
    effects. Although try that with Ni-MH or lithium and you quickly get
    into deep trouble.

    SLA (sealed lead acid) normally isn't used for laptops, so I
    didn't include it, but you are correct it's a 4th major
    category of rechargeable battery, a derivative, of course, of
    the automobile battery but sealed and leakproof. Virtually all
    UPS' use them.

    Yes all true! And I used to think that if you keep them trickle
    charged, they would last the longest for this type. Wrong! As you
    have to use them once in awhile (every few months) to burn off the
    corrosion off of the plates. So anybody running UPS should do this
    now and then. Otherwise they won't last as long as they could.

    On 2005.5.3, BillW wrote:

    > My Sharp PC-4501 ('89 era) actually uses the fourth battery type
    > called Lead-Acid (Pb).

    So did the Apple/Sony PowerBook 100. I remember those batteries being
    fairly easy to kill. They were also heavy.

    --
    garglemonster@my-deja.com

    Should I get locked in the PRINCICAL'S OFFICE today -- or have a
    VASECTOMY??

    Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 01:04:46 -0400

    On 2005.5.3, BillW wrote:

    > My Sharp PC-4501 ('89 era) actually uses the fourth battery type
    > called Lead-Acid (Pb).

    So did the Apple/Sony PowerBook 100. I remember those batteries
    being fairly easy to kill. They were also heavy.

    Well I knew a great deal about the care and feeding of lead-acid
    batteries and mine lasted over 10 years. And at the time, the trick
    was to always have it on a trickle charge. Well whenever you can of
    course. Also they generally don't like to be left in a discharged
    state for too long. 6 to 12 hours is probably okay. But any longer
    really does a lot of harm to them.

    Although later after the battery died. I also learned that you
    should discharge them a bit every few months (all it takes is
    running them off of the battery for 5 to 10 minutes should be just
    fine). As this burns off the corrosion off of the plates (that white
    powder stuff). Then throw it back on the charger again.

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 98SE)
    -- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

Battery Laptops Microsoft Hardware Laptop Battery Product