Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can replacing PSU damage the motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
March 31, 2012 9:26:13 AM

Hi all

Computer of mine was having random shutdowns. At times, while it was still doing POST and other times when it was loading Windows or in Windows. So I thought I would do some troubleshooting. I thought firstly it could be the power supply, so I tried replacing it with a known working power supply. The PSU had on before was a SilverStone SST-ST75F 750W and replaced it using a Coolermaster RS-650-PCAR-E3 650W. I did have 4 extra HDD plugged in into the coolermaster. I turned on the PC and it tried to turn on and failed. After that I smelt burning smell. I thought it was the PSU but i smelt it and there was no smell there. The smell had come from inside the PC, so it could be the motherboard.

So my question is, can replacing PSU damage the motherboard? or was the board itself already faulty in the first place? the board was the one causing the random shutdowns?

Any info, suggestions and advice would help greatly.

Thanks =)
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2012 9:47:10 AM

Anything is possible really. Would have to see the board and where the burn marks are.
Most likely though the mobo had a trace or joint that was on the brink , and the physical jostling in changing the PSU pushed it over the edge.
I doubt the PSU in of itself did the damage. Especially if it was known to be good and is still good.
m
0
l
March 31, 2012 10:19:22 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.

Oh I forgot to add that the whole system isn't completely dead yet. When plugging the power cord to the PSU and turning on the PC, it had a bit of jolt in power and shuts down before it does even anything. Fans span up for abit and died.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2012 10:28:22 AM

I would still say the same thing, after knowing about the fans and temporary power on. Simply, the key is to find out what burnt - likely being the motherboard, as an engineer I'd look for the location of the burn and what it's role is for the system. That's overkill for most.
As long as you can identify that it was the motherboard that is burnt (and not something else that happen to short because of a screw, dangling wire, etc), then you know where to start working on things.
If the PSU was known to work before putting in this system, then it's unlikely it's the cause. But if you bought it new, and have not verified it's working properly, then there is a chance it's a problem.

Do you know if there is any difference in behavior when you use the old PSU now. I doubt it will behave any different, but worth a test at this point.
m
0
l
March 31, 2012 10:46:43 AM

psaus said:
I would still say the same thing, after knowing about the fans and temporary power on. Simply, the key is to find out what burnt - likely being the motherboard, as an engineer I'd look for the location of the burn and what it's role is for the system. That's overkill for most.
As long as you can identify that it was the motherboard that is burnt (and not something else that happen to short because of a screw, dangling wire, etc), then you know where to start working on things.
If the PSU was known to work before putting in this system, then it's unlikely it's the cause. But if you bought it new, and have not verified it's working properly, then there is a chance it's a problem.

Do you know if there is any difference in behavior when you use the old PSU now. I doubt it will behave any different, but worth a test at this point.


There is no difference in behavior when i plugged in the old PSU. It would just jolted abit of power and completely dead afterwards. Behavior is the same with any PSU from this point on cuz i did try it with another PSU. But before i plugged in the replaced PSU, it would do random shutdowns as previously mentioned. The PSU i replaced was known to be working on an old system that i use and I bought it possibly 6 months ago also given that it is rarely used.

Can't check for burnt marks as of now since the PC is not with me currently.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2012 11:34:40 AM

Has the coolermaster been put back into the old system? Just wondering if that PSU has been proven to still be OK.
Not sure you should, if you haven't already. But if you have without problem then that's information you can use to deduce what's wrong.
m
0
l
March 31, 2012 2:01:49 PM

psaus said:
Has the coolermaster been put back into the old system? Just wondering if that PSU has been proven to still be OK.
Not sure you should, if you haven't already. But if you have without problem then that's information you can use to deduce what's wrong.


It's been plugged in again to the old system and it's working fine.... so far =)
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2012 3:07:14 PM

I can't say for sure, without seeing the board, but I think my first response still applies. The fact the PSU is working in the old system is a good sign that PSU isn't the problem.

Now it's time to warm up the old nose and identify where that smell is coming from (not going as far as IDing the exact chip, but at least identifying it's the mobo vs ram vs video, etc).
m
0
l
!