Chassis from scratch..need help

brainrazer

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
I am in the planning phase to build a chassis for my pc from scratch. The ideas I have require something more industrial than mere canniballization of old pc parts. I just downloaded Google Sketchup to give myself a start for visualization of my idea. I have quickly realized that I not only have the lack of tools and materials to make the design, but the design itself will require professional instruments and factory equipment to make properly(assumption). Are there any links that can be shot my way to help in this endeavor? The design is going to require sheet metal, exact sizes for drive bays, rubber for dust control, noise dampening pressure holds, and cord protection. Also screening material for dust filtration(what size mesh is best?). I have already checked out Mountain Mods and Protocase, but they don't have the means necessary at their disposal to pull this idea off, as well as their manufacturing procedure is too simplistic for my needs. It will be an air cooled case using 3 220mm fans and a 140mm fan for the mobo area with any and all peripheral components ( hdd, PSU, optical drives, etc,) completely separate from the area for max cooling and clean cable management. Im not at all worried about paints yet, though quality products at low prices on that would be good too. Any help would be fantastic, even if it's links to pc replacement parts( i.e. removable mobo trays,psu trays etc.) that would also help me along. My goal with this project is to create a LAN case that would fit a full size or maybe even Extended ATX board(also long grafx cards) and get away from the classical box shape, and open air designs, as well as PSU mounting configurations.

Solution
Hi there, I happen to be a mechanical engineer with interest in doing this exact type of thing myself. Its discouraging, however, to know how expensive it is to have parts machined (several hundred dollars per piece). The best help i can give you without seeing your design is this link:
http://www.mcmaster.com/
It is the best place to browse for stock industrial materials. It doesnt always have the best prices, but its good for showing you what types of things are available.
I would say the best bet for doing this at a reasonable price would be to construct it out of presized alumimum plates, connected together either with brackets and screws (you would be able to drill holes with a hand drill) or two-part epoxy.

a cheap set of...
Lots of luck to you. There's a reason you see so few custom cases.

You already have some conflicting design requirements - inexpensive , high quality paint, for example. Separating all peripheral devices from the motherboard area will complicate cable management.

genghiskron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Hi there, I happen to be a mechanical engineer with interest in doing this exact type of thing myself. Its discouraging, however, to know how expensive it is to have parts machined (several hundred dollars per piece). The best help i can give you without seeing your design is this link:
http://www.mcmaster.com/
It is the best place to browse for stock industrial materials. It doesnt always have the best prices, but its good for showing you what types of things are available.
I would say the best bet for doing this at a reasonable price would be to construct it out of presized alumimum plates, connected together either with brackets and screws (you would be able to drill holes with a hand drill) or two-part epoxy.

a cheap set of digital calipers and a pre-existing computer case will help you size things like drive bays.

Solution