USB Ports playing up

G

Hey all
Im not sure what i've done to cause this issue but its causing me some problems. My PC is getting a little old so is riddled with problems as it is. My PC has 7 USB ports in total. 2 on the front and 5 on the back. The usb ports in the back are refusing to accept certain devices that I plug in (My mouse and keyboard for example) but when I switch the mouse and keyboard to the front usb ports they work fine. ive tried using one of my usb sticks in the back, the light comes on to show it has power but the system isnt recognising that its connected. The only 2 things that seem to work at the moment in the back are my external hard drive and a camera. As I stated I have no idea how this has happened and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

G

To add to this the 2 devices that do connect have their own power source. It may be that power isnt getting to the ports. If this is the issue any idea why its suddenly started acting up?

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
You could make things work again by plugging a powered USB hub into one of the back ports. At least you could use the machine again.

Sounds like maybe you lost the power connection to the USB hub driving the back panel ports.