Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a new CPU mostly for MMOs

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2011 8:22:08 PM

Hey there, my current CPU which is Phenom X4 II 940 BE 3GHZ really does not fit it anymore, I mostly play MMOs, well, only MMOs and for that you need really beast CPU. I was thinking of i5-2400/2500 or should I wait and see how the new bulldozers turn out? Rest of my rig - GTX 460 1GB, 4GB of RAM DDR2 (would also need to buy DDR3), Fusion Bulk 550W, W7-64bit. Basically I am looking for a cpu that will run most (all) MMOs really well as I think my GTX 460 is enough for all of them. And for budget, I really dont know, but I can not afford i7-2600 or anything of that sort.

Edit: Edit: I would also like to mention that I am not really planning on OCing, I have no experience in the field and I do not want anything melted or destroyed.

Thanks in advance

Regards

More about : cpu mmos

a b à CPUs
July 20, 2011 9:12:14 PM

Ok, just some questions to help simplify.

What MMO's are you playing?

What resolution are you playing games at?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2011 9:18:13 PM

I am playing at 1680x1050. At the moment, I am playing Aion, LOTRO, RIFT, I mean, I can play all of the listed games somewhat fine, but it really is not that great, but I would also like to gear up for the future games for example TERA Online, Guild Wars 2, SWTOR.

Thanks
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
July 20, 2011 9:25:59 PM

I would be surprised if your current CPU is holding back your 460 very much if at all, I therefore don't think you will see very much improvement regardless of what upgrade you get. If you do want to upgrade now can you afford an i5 2500K its as good as gaming CPUs get.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2011 9:30:28 PM

Well, I think that my CPU is the bottleneck in most of the MMOs I am playing.
a c 103 à CPUs
July 20, 2011 9:35:25 PM

I would be surprised if your current CPU is holding back your 460 very much if at all, I therefore don't think you will see very much improvement regardless of what upgrade you get. If you do want to upgrade now can you afford an i5 2500K its as good as gaming CPUs get.
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2011 9:37:09 PM

Ok, playing @ 1650 x 1050 you should be good with that setup. I can tell you that with Rift, my setup (see it in my sig) is bogged down and does not get very good frames with all eye candy enabled on a 1920 x 1080 res. Rift is a very demanding game even at that res.
a c 103 à CPUs
July 20, 2011 9:40:12 PM

Here is the rift graphics card bench marks, if you are getting these FPS or close then the CPU is not the bottleneck, if you are getting much below then it is.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2011 9:51:29 PM

I know that RIFT is very demanding and I do not want new cpu just for RIFT. For example Aion runs well I would say, I can even turn up AA x8 all shadows and all that good stuff and I am still at 65 (it is somehow fixed there and no it is not caused by VSYNC), but as soon as I join a group and do a dungeon, the fps drops drastically, disabling effects helps a little. And for the RIFT performance, I think I am a little below that with the settings listed. Also, I am not able to run AoC almost at all, I know its really really demanding game, but playing on low with 40 fps does not seem right. I am sure TERA and Guild Wars 2 are going to be even more demanding.
a c 147 à CPUs
July 20, 2011 10:22:43 PM

Nvidia chips loose some performance at 1050 resolution because its not evenly divisible by 4, somehwere on Toms theres a guide on dropping it to 1048 to gain it back.

Also, which 460 do you have? the 1gb or the 768Mb ? There is a significant performance difference between the two.

As for overclocking, with your Black Edition cpu its as simple as going into the bios and changing the multiplier to a higher value. Nothing gets overclocked except the processor which will let you know if it gets too warm. If you want to try it as a test. I beleive your multiplier is x15 and jumping it to 18.5 will bump the speed to 3.7Ghz. If you still have playability issues its no longer you cpu that might be the problem.

Tell us about the rest of your system: ram, motherbd, hard drive, OS, and other programs running
a c 103 à CPUs
July 20, 2011 10:33:02 PM

I still think that the CPU is not whats limiting performance (unless its overheating or anything) but the graphics card. The best way to test is if you lower your resolution does it improve things alot, if it does then the GPU is limiting you but if it runs the same then it is the CPU limiting you. Also check if your CPU is running at 100% all the time when gaming or not.

As for the overclock its safe as long as you keep and eye on your CPU temperature and keep the CPU voltage below 1.45V (1.4 if you want to be really safe).
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2011 10:52:02 PM

The CPU is not limiting any performance in that setup. You could upgrade to a GTX 570 and see a huge increase in frames and visual. that video card is ok but not anything spectacular...
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2011 3:25:48 AM

living in Intel world I have to say, you are not going to get much better performance switching over. It sounds to me like you have a combination of a graphics bottleneck and perhaps a low ping rate (based on the extreme slowdown while in groups). Keep in mind you can have all the throughput in the world, but if the ping is bad then it can cause odd problems in MMOs (card cannot know what to render until it knows where everyone is). Upgrading to a better router/internet service may help more than you expect if you are a heavy MMO player.
Also I concur with others here, where frame is concerned a better GPU will get you more bang for your buck than a CPU. The CPU just has to update the database and character locations, and run crap AI. It really isn't that hard, and your CPU isn't top of the line, but it isn't bad either. A mid-range 500 series GPU (or AMD equivalent) will get you up to speed.

For the price of mobo ($120 MSI Military Class), proc ($220 2500K), and ram ($70 8GB Corsair), you could go all out and get a G580 if you wanted to....
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2011 4:36:28 AM

Rest of my setup is GB MA770-UD3, A-DATA 4GB 800MHZ, Seagate 7200 I believe, W7-64bit and when I am playing, I am not running anything in the background, just the antivirus which is MSE. And I think it is not my internet either, my pings is around 20-30 tops. I have seen many people with GTX 460 1 GB (yes I have 1GB) and better cpu getting way way better performance then what I am having. My cpu is not overheating either, it does not go over 60. And buying a new gc is not an option either since I bought this one like a month ago. I still believe it is the combination of DDR2 + CPU.

Edit: Changing resolution in for example RIFT does not give me a single FPS boost.
Edit2: Anything better then GTX 460 for 1680x1050 seems like a waste for me.
July 21, 2011 5:58:32 AM

Have you checked your drivers are up to date?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2011 6:11:58 AM

Everything is up to date, yeah.
!