Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dual channel memory question

Last response: in Memory
March 31, 2012 2:47:56 PM

hi, was just wondering, on my motherboard i have 2 slots for ram. They ARE dual channel slots. I already have 1 stick of 2gb ram in there running at 667ghz. Previously, i wanted to make it dual channel so i tried to find the same as my other module. unfortunetely i couldn't find the same ram because the company doesnt make it aymore. Therefore i was wondering if i add a different stick of 2gb ram along with the one already there, would my motherboard recognize it as 4gb in total or would it just ignore it?
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2012 3:19:41 PM

You might be able to install something different, but we need to know more about your setup first.
Can you reply with model/part numbers for the motherboard and existing 2GB memory?
m
l
March 31, 2012 3:26:48 PM

bottom line here is: no guaranty! it's a crap shoot. Might work, might not.
If you absolutely must have dual channel operation.......Then, look for a dual channel set of ram that is supported by your motherboard. otherwise, you may get lucky, or you may not..;.... it's a lot like buying ram sticks that are not on the supported ram list for your mbod. it'll probably work.......But, there is always that pesky litle chance that it might not!!
Good luck
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2012 3:28:48 PM

It will recognize it as 4GB, but the question is whether dual channel mode will be enabled. If you want to go the safe route, replace both modules with a dual channel kit. Memory is fairly cheap these days so that would be my choice if I were you. If you want to take a risk, see if you can find a 2GB module with the same speed and timings as your old one and that may work but no guarantees.
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
a c 92 V Motherboard
March 31, 2012 4:47:22 PM

Adding another 2GB stick should work. It should be dual channel and four gigs. Try to get ram as identical to the stick you already have. If your current stick is 4-4-4-12 @ DDR2-667 and 1.9v, try to buy a stick that matches it. You have a greater chance of it working then not working.
March 31, 2012 9:29:00 PM

psaus said:
You might be able to install something different, but we need to know more about your setup first.
Can you reply with model/part numbers for the motherboard and existing 2GB memory?

Here are the specs for my current ram module.

Product Specs
Technology: 240pin DDR2 DIMM Memory
Capacity: 2GB
Speed: PC2-5300 (667Mhz)
Control: Unbuffered
ECC: Non ECC
Comp. Config: 128MX8
Voltage: 1.8V
CL: CL5
Refresh: 8K
RoHS: Yes
Operating Temp: Commercial (0 to 70 C)
Application: Consumer
Timings: 5-5-5-15

As for my motherboard, I have a GA G31M ES2l revision 2.0 motherboard. It supports DDR2 Memory of a max speed of 800mhz (not considering overclock)and a capacity of 4gb.

Again Thank You for your help :) 
m
l
March 31, 2012 9:38:49 PM

aicom said:
It will recognize it as 4GB, but the question is whether dual channel mode will be enabled. If you want to go the safe route, replace both modules with a dual channel kit. Memory is fairly cheap these days so that would be my choice if I were you. If you want to take a risk, see if you can find a 2GB module with the same speed and timings as your old one and that may work but no guarantees.

Question:

would it be unsafe to try this, would this damage my motherboard? :??: 

regarding return policies, I am most likely buying this from canada computers who have a great return policy of 30 days :) 
m
l
March 31, 2012 9:41:10 PM

terryd75 said:
bottom line here is: no guaranty! it's a crap shoot. Might work, might not.
If you absolutely must have dual channel operation.......Then, look for a dual channel set of ram that is supported by your motherboard. otherwise, you may get lucky, or you may not..;.... it's a lot like buying ram sticks that are not on the supported ram list for your mbod. it'll probably work.......But, there is always that pesky litle chance that it might not!!
Good luck

Regarding "that pesky little chance," would it damage my motherboard if it were not to work O.O
m
l
March 31, 2012 9:58:25 PM

4745454b said:
Adding another 2GB stick should work. It should be dual channel and four gigs. Try to get ram as identical to the stick you already have. If your current stick is 4-4-4-12 @ DDR2-667 and 1.9v, try to buy a stick that matches it. You have a greater chance of it working then not working.

Hi, I found out that my memory timings are 5-5-5-15. So, I went on a quest looking at as many memory modules as I could and came across this ram module:

Corsair Value Select 2GB DDR2 667MHz CL5 DIMM
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=2...

It is 2gb, 667mhz , has a cas latency of 5, and the timings are 5-5-5-15. Therefore, it is pretty much exactly the same as my other ram module.

So what exactly would be the chances of it working?
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 92 V Motherboard
April 1, 2012 6:28:58 AM

Should be fine. I wonder if that stick can work at 1.8V however. Most can however unless that stick is uber junk.

If it won't work it won't fry anything. It just won't boot.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2012 8:51:11 AM

Your chances are really good that it will see the full 4GB and boot with that module.

Still pretty good for dual channel, but you will need to verify this after installing.

And 4745454b is right, if it completely doesn't work your system just won't boot. Remove it then you're back to normal.
m
l
April 1, 2012 2:20:50 PM

4745454b said:
Should be fine. I wonder if that stick can work at 1.8V however. Most can however unless that stick is uber junk.

If it won't work it won't fry anything. It just won't boot.

I went and checked the corsair website for more info on the stick and i found out it does work at 1.8v.

So what are the chance of it working now?
m
l
April 1, 2012 2:22:08 PM

Best answer selected by soccerkid6474.
m
l
!