Sign in with
Your question

Worth Upgrading 8800GTS to XYZ On An Older System

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 14, 2011 1:53:22 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next couple of months BUDGET RANGE: roughly $200 to $250

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: General computer use, gaming (Borderlands, L4D2, RTS), basic multimedia (watch movies)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: eVGA 8800GTS 640 - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Gigabyte GA-N650SLI-DS4; Core 2 Duo E6850; 6Gb Memory - Crucial Ballistix & GSkill; OCZ Vertex 2 Primary; Maxtor 120Gb Secondary

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, amazon.com COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: U.S.A

PARTS PREFERENCES: ATI or Nvidia; any reputable, major brand (in no particular order), i.e., Sapphire, eVGA, XFX, etc.

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: My main concern is around compatibility between a newer video card and my older motherboard. I have read in the past that putting a PCI-E 2.x spec card in a motherboard that doesn't support PCI-E 2.x can/will cause problems. I confirmed awhile ago that my Gigabyte motherboard has only PCI-E 1.x support. I know that the PCI-E spec is suppossed to be backwards compatible, but is that backward compatibility more from a standpoint of being able to put a PCI-E 1.x GPU into a PCI-E 2.x motherboard? Does it work the other way around?

I had read that some people could not get their ATI PCI-E 2.x graphics cards to work in older motherboards due to this incompatibility. Can anyone confirm this? What about nVidia? Anyone know of issues with their cards?

Based on the above answers, this could determine whether an upgrade would work. If it can work, then...

I would be looking for something that can play the above games and possibly newer stuff at my modest 22" monitor resolution while remaining very quiet and not generating massive amounts of heat. My 8800GTS is very loud and very hot. I want to get away from this. Seeing as how it is a couple of generations behind what is available today, I would imagine that even a low cost solution in today's generation of video cards would be sufficient. Any suggestions?

Thanks
February 14, 2011 4:10:29 PM

I've also upgraded from 9600gt to gtx 460. my specs
Core 2 duo E7500
Gigabyte MoBo(cheap), 4GB DDR2 RAM
Cheap 22" Benq monitor 1080p
My MoBo is also PCI Express 1.1 but my new GTX 460 is running things fine and there is massive improvements in games. BTW i dnt know if it is running at its full potential, i plan to upgrade to sandy bridge 2400 cpu as soon as they fix the cougar point ***.
So no worries it will supposedly run fine
!